joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SW/Central/SE VA Disco

Martin

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS further cuts snow totals. It hasn't had a clue, but outside of the NAM/Ukie, we are trending the wrong way.

I don't know WHY I continue to get my hopes up here in CVA for a large snow storm.

As I said in my previous post, I think this was the wrong one to get your hopes up for. +AO +NAO -PNA is not the recipe for a historic storm around here.

I'm hoping we get our Nino next winter. Get that southern stream rocking and I'll take my chances. Throw in the proper indices and we have a decent shot at getting another foot+ area-wide event. We've just been unlucky with the big ones since 96. Jan. 2000 was about 25 miles east. PDII and Feb. 2010 were Miller B storms. Dec. 09 was a 25-50 mile slp shift away from giving us a 1/20 year snowfall (December is also not a great month for huge events). January 2010 gave us solid totals but wasn't a coastal. Our blockbuster storms usually come from lows that move off Hatteras and OTS anyway.

Our time will come. It would be silly to think it won't. The atmosphere doesn't hold grudges.

I want to be clear that I'm not dismissing this event. If the NCEP models continue to stand their ground tonight things get interesting. Sometimes these front-end thumps from Miller A's are better than advertised (Dec. 09 certainly was). Who knows where the mesoscale features will set up. I've been throwing 5-10" out there as my range.

It is amusing (not amusing) how RIC always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. We're looking like a jackpot 72 hours out, and we get hit with the dreaded "north trend." We have a storm to our south (i.e.- Boxing Day 2010) and the trend is nowhere to be found (no disrespect intended for our SEVA crew, that was an awesome storm for you guys). Big snow to the north, big snow to the south...

Now that my ranting is done, as MidlothianWX alluded to, the front-end thump is huge. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where 80%+ of our totals come from. My best guess for totals at this point would be:

The Gooch: 6-8"

West Henrico and Midlo: 4-6"

The City and East Henrico: 3-5"

As I said in my previous post, I think this was the wrong one to get your hopes up for. +AO +NAO -PNA is not the recipe for a historic storm around here.

I'm hoping we get our Nino next winter. Get that southern stream rocking and I'll take my chances. Throw in the proper indices and we have a decent shot at getting another foot+ area-wide event. We've just been unlucky with the big ones since 96. Jan. 2000 was about 25 miles east. PDII and Feb. 2010 were Miller B storms. Dec. 09 was a 25-50 mile slp shift away from giving us a 1/20 year snowfall (December is also not a great month for huge events). January 2010 gave us solid totals but wasn't a coastal. Our blockbuster storms usually come from lows that move off Hatteras and OTS anyway.

Our time will come. It would be silly to think it won't. The atmosphere doesn't hold grudges.

Agreed. I'm no where near shocked of how this is evolving. Disappointed, absolutely, but not shocked.

I much preferred last week's setup where today's overrunning that hit NC was modeled up here. I'd much rather take my chances with overrunning than a coastal. 

That being said, there's a fair amount of guidance still east of WPC at the moment. A slightly further east track wouldn't surprise me. I will hope for such.

Euro holds, perhaps a hair east. WPC continues to insist on a blend of it with the GFS (for track purposes, not precip).

I think the west end has an outside shot of getting into the 10"+ range but I wouldn't bet on it. Too many question marks with this one. If I had to make a call now I'd say 4-8" for the metro going east to west. Definitely a large bust potential with this one, on both sides of the envelope.

can you post the euro snow map for va Ric Also do we get into the deform band down here?

Deform banding seems to be mostly to the NW, although I believe it does swing through eventually. I have most of the snow maps but I'm fairly positive that I don't have permission to post them. You'll probably find a few in the main MA thread.

To be honest, I'm going to avoid the models as much as I can at this point, as they're only going to drive me crazy between now and tonight. We'll just have to watch the returns as they come in and hope that the mix is put off as long as possible.

If we start mixing in the early morning hours, I think we could be looking at a solid 4-6 event across the metro area. If by some miracle we wake up tomorrow morning and see that flakes are still flying, I think we have a real shot at 10"+.

Has anyone heard anything about how the models have been performing with temps down south?

Sun was peeking through on the way to work but looks like cloud cover starting to thicken up.

I have not heard about temp verification down south on the models.  All I can gather from the thread is GFS is still the warmest and driest, NAM is still a shellacking with best weenie scenario.

Archived