• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SW/Central/SE VA Disco

Martin

Wow... It may have a chance to be a top 10 storm ever for the RIC!.. . Anything over 12.6 puts it into the top 10 I believe...

Correct...12.7" is the target to put a storm in sole possession of 10th all-time.

I think this storm has an outside shot but I'd bet against it. Longitude hurts RIC along with the fact that we don't have the cold/blocking that'd come along with proper teleconnections.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is going to go a little more south then most think .. Sleet most likely will cut down totals but again a few miles can really make a difference..def will be fun to watch.....

Keep your eye on the WPC forecast low track map as we get closer to the event:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/lowtracks/lowtrack_ensembles.gif

NAM is 1.5+ QPF for RIC. Tough to tell a R/S line, but if your in Short Pump west, you look all snow. I would use the old 95 R/S line with totals going up every 5 miles or so.

The NAM is in range at this point as well. We have to remember to give it credit, b/c it has nam'd us for 5 straight runs now. Amazingly consistent for a wildly inconsistent model.

WOW is all I have to say. NAM clown maps paste the metro with 18"+ all around.

I was able to view the county maps and the 850 0c line seemingly never moves west of the Henrico/Charles City divide.

That would be wonderful regarding 850's. Have to think a warm nose will pop up (as per usual), but I like that we have some breathing room.

SE VA and eastern shore look to be in the worst spots if you like winter weather. Snow everywhere else. South, west and north. Snowing in Cape hatteras now. But Glad to see people cashing in that haven't lately.

Welcome to RIC of the last 3 winters. 

Besides, that's your trade-off for awesome living 8 months of the year. Beach, fishing, etc...

Any ideas what 12Z looks like for CVA in terms of qpf? Saw 1.25" area-wide?

Also regarding temps?  I asked in the mid-atlantic storm thread but apparently we are only allowed to discuss DC there and they were moaning over warm air for DC but nothing points south.

Also regarding temps?  I asked in the mid-atlantic storm thread but apparently we are only allowed to discuss DC there and they were moaning over warm air for DC but nothing points south.

Dude...gotta stop asking IMBY questions, That's frowned upon on these boards (funny, because that's all anyone cares about, really).

Cut 00z Euro numbers by 25% for RIC. Also have to worry about a massive dry slot.

Dude...gotta stop asking IMBY questions, That's frowned upon on these boards (funny, because that's all anyone cares about, really).

Cut 00z Euro numbers by 25% for RIC. Also have to worry about a massive dry slot.

I understand what you are saying but when I asked for maps showing just a bit south the post was deleted, then I asked about what they were saying regarding things south of that and nothing except, now, IMBY.    How can I ask  what they are saying for their area affects another area?  

examples:

"Euro sounding for Westminster keeps 850 temp below freezing, closest is gets is at 18z with -0.8.. works for me"

Mapgirl's maps which stop near Fredericksburg.
"It looks like a 2-phase storm for DC based on euro...thump until 5-6 am...d"  
"Euro 850 mb 0C line out to Sterling at 18Z...so hopefully pellets but the trend warmer at the 12Z suite is ominous.  Still snow overnight though!"
" Not only do we have to worry about warm air, now we worry about dry slotting...although with warm air, maybe that's not such a bad thing. "  <DC>
"Plus, a word of caution regarding trends when the onset of the event is STILL 30+ hours away....

Yeah these westward, warmer trends could continue, but I think we've seen from experience there's at least an equal chance the trend stops or goes the other way."

Where maps are given or locations named they are DC area, otherwise it is pronouns.. 

Just trying to decipher what they were saying about westward trends and dryslots meant.

I understand what you are saying but when I asked for maps showing just a bit south the post was deleted, then I asked about what they were saying regarding things south of that and nothing except, now, IMBY.    How can I ask  what they are saying for their area affects another area?  

examples:

"Euro sounding for Westminster keeps 850 temp below freezing, closest is gets is at 18z with -0.8.. works for me"

"Euro 850 mb 0C line out to Sterling at 18Z...so hopefully pellets but the trend warmer at the 12Z suite is ominous.  Still snow overnight though!"
" Not only do we have to worry about warm air, now we worry about dry slotting...although with warm air, maybe that's not such a bad thing. "  <DC>
"Plus, a word of caution regarding trends when the onset of the event is STILL 30+ hours away....

Yeah these westward, warmer trends could continue, but I think we've seen from experience there's at least an equal chance the trend stops or goes the other way."

Where maps are given or locations named they are DC area, otherwise it is pronouns.. 

Just trying to decipher what they were saying about westward trends and dryslots meant.

I get it. The mods delete any IMBY post if it doesn't fit their back yard. Lol.

examples:

Just stick in this thread. If you have any questions we'll try to help.

NAM is rolling.

Overall, I think I might have gotten my hopes up a little too much here. A 12"+ event was never really supported by climo. The indices are all wrong for a substantial central VA snowstorm. The sliding high puts us in a rough spot. We'll see what happens. If I end up with over 6" I'll probably be pretty happy.

Archived