• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Let's talk winter!

Steve

After looking at 6z runs, I think even moreso that ILN is way too bullish on snow here.  It's going to be EXTREMELY close but I think more realistically we may have a bigger issue with ice.   6z rgem is basically an icestorm here and amps the storm bringing it in furthest west.    NAM held serve though.   It's pretty much nowcast time.    If nothing else, should be interesting. :yikes:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After looking at 6z runs, I think even moreso that ILN is way too bullish on snow here.  It's going to be EXTREMELY close but I think more realistically we may have a bigger issue with ice.   6z rgem is basically an icestorm here and amps the storm bringing it in furthest west.    NAM held serve though.   It's pretty much nowcast time.    If nothing else, should be interesting. :yikes:

then again, I'm just a weenie with a day job....what the hell do I know lol

ILN's morning update:

FROM THE DAYTON/COLUMBUS METRO AREAS NORTHWARD...AN ALL SNOW EVENT

IS FORECAST. MODELS HAVE CONVERGED ON THE HIGHEST QPF AND THUS

HEAVIEST SNOWFALL TOTALS TO RUN RIGHT ACROSS THE DAYTON AREA...AND

JUST NORTH OF COLUMBUS. TOTALS ALONG THIS SWATH OF HIGHEST

SNOWFALL POTENTIAL COULD RECEIVE UP TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW FROM THIS

STORM.

then again, I'm just a weenie with a day job....what the hell do I know lol

ILN's morning update:

FROM THE DAYTON/COLUMBUS METRO AREAS NORTHWARD...AN ALL SNOW EVENT

IS FORECAST. MODELS HAVE CONVERGED ON THE HIGHEST QPF AND THUS

HEAVIEST SNOWFALL TOTALS TO RUN RIGHT ACROSS THE DAYTON AREA...AND

JUST NORTH OF COLUMBUS. TOTALS ALONG THIS SWATH OF HIGHEST

SNOWFALL POTENTIAL COULD RECEIVE UP TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW FROM THIS

STORM.

I'm not sure that was updated from previous discussion? I clicked on the red Highlight Changed Discussion -- up top and nothing changed to red.

Yeah, I thought the 6Z runs were a complete disaster. The GFS now has us on the razor's edge, the NAM was not only warmer, but significantly drier, and the RGEM went west. Could be a blip, but I have no confidence in the forecast from ILN.

nam looked ok, (unchanged) on the map panels regarding track, but I didn't check soundings. 

Granted that ILN has not been great this year at snow forecasts, but are you guys going off mainly the NAM or just your expectations given the past?  I'm not sure either one is any more reliable at this point than what ILN has.

Well after 12z run of NAM, there is that and there is history. Warm air always seems to win here. I am not saying there won't be an impact here, but to me it is getting more clear that it will be a lot more ice. BUT, the NWS will wait until like 3 or 4 to change. That is the frustrating part to me.

Well after 12z run of NAM, there is that and there is history. Warm air always seems to win here. I am not saying there won't be an impact here, but to me it is getting more clear that it will be a lot more ice. BUT, the NWS will wait until like 3 or 4 to change. That is the frustrating part to me.

Not saying there won't be ice or that it won't even be a major part of the storm, but the NAM is always known for it's warm/NW bias and the rest of the model consensus is not that warm/NW, so placing so much faith in it seems to be a direct result of expectation rather than what may or may not happen.  For me, at this point I think 5-6" is a pretty good bet with some mix at some point.  Less mix, more snow, obviously.  The people calling for 2" for Columbus are going to bust hard, imo.  Even the NAM doesn't go that low.

Not saying there won't be ice or that it won't even be a major part of the storm, but the NAM is always known for it's warm/NW bias and the rest of the model consensus is not that warm/NW, so placing so much faith in it seems to be a direct result of expectation rather than what may or may not happen.  For me, at this point I think 5-6" is a pretty good bet with some mix at some point.  Less mix, more snow, obviously. 

Well I hope you are right, but the trends are bad the last couple of runs. Which is crazy considering how great things looked at 0z last night. I hope the GFS whiffs to the south! LOL

Now I will say that the NAM did this exact same thing with the last storm over the weekend for the Chicago area and things weren't nearly as far NW.

Granted that ILN has not been great this year at snow forecasts, but are you guys going off mainly the NAM or just your expectations given the past?  I'm not sure either one is any more reliable at this point than what ILN has.

ILN may very well be correct - I just think they are not in a very enviable position. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Well I hope you are right, but the trends are bad the last couple of runs. Which is crazy considering how great things looked at 0z last night. I hope the GFS whiffs to the south! LOL

Now I will say that the NAM did this exact same thing with the last storm over the weekend for the Chicago area and things weren't nearly as far NW.

Yeah, the 12z NAM is just awful for us.  It's almost a complete miss to the north of all snow.  It doesn't have any major support right now and I just don't see such a major change at the last minute very likely.  I notice everyone in the other thread takes it as gospel, though.

ILN is considering dropping totas for columbus pending rest of 12z data.

Sent from my XT1060

They have been leaning heavily on the NAM since the beginning and that's what made their actual snowfall forecast strange.  It would seem they are using it now almost exclusively still.  If the rest of the models move in its direction, then it may be time to throw in the towel, but for a bit longer at least, it's on its own for the most part.

4km nam takes us above freezing with .17 plain rain!

Sent from my XT1060

4km nam takes us above freezing with .17 plain rain!

Sent from my XT1060

If we get plain rain out of this i will laugh and be done with winter!! Now the other thread can lean on one run again and try to bring back Mr. Happy!! :pimp:

Throw in the towel??? So we get some ice along with the snow..far cry from a whiff!!

If the Euro/GFS, etc. trend in NAM's direction, yeah, I'll be throwing up the white flag.  I was pessimistic early on with this one, but the models all moving SE and trending colder through less than 24 hours out should've been enough to keep us in the storm.  Maybe not. 

Meanwhile my friend, back in Philly area, another 10 yesterday north of the city. Sigh.......

And, things looking pretty good for them this weekend.

Can we drop the Philly talk, already?  If it was so great, you all would be living there right now.  A single season does not cancel out the majority of seasons where we kick their collective *sses on snowfall. 

Archived