northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Let's talk winter!

Steve

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking and I really don't think 6"+ of snow is likely for Columbus.

I still think the global models are suffering from convective feed back issues and are placing the SLP too far SE. The shortwave goes negative tilted over Texas this morning and stays negative tilted as it tracks towards lower MI by Wednesday morning. I just do not buy a weak low pressure tracking from central KY to near PBZ with a shortwave track like that, so I'd give the nod to the NAM/SREF at this point for that reason.

Looking deeper, given that low track, I see a 4-6 hour window of snow for Columbus, with the last couple of those hours being marginal (IE, 1 or 2 degrees warmer aloft may mean sleet/zr instead of snow). While yes, even the NAM and 8/22 SREF members spit out 5.9"+ of snow at CMH, from my experience at least, when you have a relatively short window for snow before a changeover and need it to snow like all heck in that window to hit model projections, you're in some trouble. With the 850mb low tracking near or just a tad south of CLE I just have trouble buying heavy snow so far south due to possible mixing/dry slot issues. If the WTOD is just any warmer than currently shown CMH is in trouble.

With this all said, and while this won't be popular, I'm going with 2-4" for snow at CMH and 0.2-0.4" of sleet/zr accumulation on top of it. While it is possible the WAA snow performs really well and causes CMH to pass 4", I'll take my odds against it. Flame away. Hopefully the trends this morning are for the weaker/farther south low track, because believe it or not I do actually want you guys to get a good snow!

I'm looking and I really don't think 6"+ of snow is likely for Columbus.

I still think the global models are suffering from convective feed back issues and are placing the SLP too far SE. The shortwave goes negative tilted over Texas this morning and stays negative tilted as it tracks towards lower MI by Wednesday morning. I just do not buy a weak low pressure tracking from central KY to near PBZ with a shortwave track like that, so I'd give the nod to the NAM/SREF at this point for that reason.

Looking deeper, given that low track, I see a 4-6 hour window of snow for Columbus, with the last couple of those hours being marginal (IE, 1 or 2 degrees warmer aloft may mean sleet/zr instead of snow). While yes, even the NAM and 8/22 SREF members spit out 5.9"+ of snow at CMH, from my experience at least, when you have a relatively short window for snow before a changeover and need it to snow like all heck in that window to hit model projections, you're in some trouble. With the 850mb low tracking near or just a tad south of CLE I just have trouble buying heavy snow so far south due to possible mixing/dry slot issues. If the WTOD is just any warmer than currently shown CMH is in trouble.

With this all said, and while this won't be popular, I'm going with 2-4" for snow at CMH and 0.2-0.4" of sleet/zr accumulation on top of it. While it is possible the WAA snow performs really well and causes CMH to pass 4", I'll take my odds against it. Flame away. Hopefully the trends this morning are for the weaker/farther south low track, because believe it or not I do actually want you guys to get a good snow!

I think you depressed the Central OH crew and they went to bed!

At any rate, your call is just as valid as any I've seen tonight. conservative may be the way to go...

Euro did however warm at the 850's for CMH. Not by much but it won't take much. So I guess we are at the wait and see point.

It gets up .6 lol. So it'll be close. PHD gets hammered by the euro, while ZZV gets 1/2 and 1/2 like the nam. The NAM and EURO look similar on qpf and placement of the heavy axis.

Euro did however warm at the 850's for CMH. Not by much but it won't take much. So I guess we are at the wait and see point.

It gets up .6 lol. So it'll be close. PHD gets hammered by the euro, while ZZV gets 1/2 and 1/2 like the nam. The NAM and EURO look similar on qpf and placement of the heavy axis.

Starting to see a consensus then. I was hoping for more breathing room!

How much ice is ZZV getting from the euro?

Starting to see a consensus then. I was hoping for more breathing room!

How much ice is ZZV getting from the euro?

Umm all zr/ip it looks like lol.

WED 00Z 05-FEB -1.6 -0.9 1023 75 94 0.01 561 544

WED 06Z 05-FEB -1.6 0.5 1014 94 99 0.61 558 547

WED 12Z 05-FEB -0.4 1.9 1007 96 68 0.39 548 543

WED 18Z 05-FEB -1.3 -6.7 1013 79 77 0.09 542 531 THU 00Z 06-FEB

Idk how accurate that is. What I posted was the actual text data for newark on the ECMWF. Idk. It's probably about time to not worry so much about long range models and focus more on the hrrr and the ruc etc.

Compared the two over top of each other. They actually expanded the snow south which don't make much sense.

Pit just issued a warning for me. BUT... lowered amounts from 5-9" to 3-7" not complaining but it's looking like last weekends snow will be more than this storm lol.

Did you see the new fzr map?

Archived