• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What is the coldest temp you have been in?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was something <0 in January 2004. Don't think I was out when we got to -20 in 1994 (I wasn't even 2yrs. old at the time).

Heh, you were only 2 in '94? Epic cold. Epic cold, lol.

School was closed for a week because it was so cold the rock salt used to melt the ice wouldn't work. I graduated HS June 30th that year because of so many snow days. We also had to have school on Sat. 2x otherwise we would have graduated in July. You were exempt if you didn't use your absences up.

Parts of NW NJ got down to -30 I believe.

School was closed for a week because it was so cold the rock salt used to melt the ice wouldn't work. I graduated HS June 30th that year because of so many snow days. We also had to have school on Sat. 2x otherwise we would have graduated in July. You were exempt if you didn't use your absences up.

No wonder you moved to Fla! 1994 was the last time it hit 0 or below here-- and it did it three times. Two zeros and a minus two.

Same here. The year finished on June 28, and they cut out most of Easter break. We did not have Saturday school.

No wonder you moved to Fla! 1994 was the last time it hit 0 or below here-- and it did it three times. Two zeros and a minus two.

NJ gets cold. Usually once a year there's a spell where temps are near 0 or below for a few nights. I had a daytime high of -1 about 5 or 6 years ago. Below -10 is rare though.

In January 1983 when I pulled up to the gate to the work area at Dugway Proving Ground the nearby mesonet site at -33F. At the weather station it was -26F and I had to stand in that using a sling psychrometer since I had to take the observation because my observer's car wouldn't start when he tried to come to work. Almost everyone had that problem. The reason I didin't was because unlike everyone else in the housing area, I used my garage for the car instead of storage so it was warmer enough that my car started. We had three days of sub -20F lows that month. January 1983 was also one of those rare times that ice formed in the GSL.

Steve

I walked 1/2 mile to school with the temp at -9 in Jan. '77.

If that happened today, my parents would probably get arrested for endangerment.

But -9 really isn't that cold...the wind chills are what get a person. Dress right and -20 or so really isn't even bad on a still night. Anything below 0 generally all feels the same.

In January 1983 when I pulled up to the gate to the work area at Dugway Proving Ground the nearby mesonet site at -33F. At the weather station it was -26F and I had to stand in that using a sling psychrometer since I had to take the observation because my observer's car wouldn't start when he tried to come to work. Almost everyone had that problem. The reason I didin't was because unlike everyone else in the housing area, I used my garage for the car instead of storage so it was warmer enough that my car started. We had three days of sub -20F lows that month. January 1983 was also one of those rare times that ice formed in the GSL.

Steve

How come every time you talk about your weather experiences, it's so much more interesting than anyone else's weather experience?

But -9 really isn't that cold...the wind chills are what get a person. Dress right and -20 or so really isn't even bad on a still night. Anything below 0 generally all feels the same.

Oh, I agree... it was more a statement to how society is programmed today.

I definitely felt colder when my alternator blew at 1:00 AM in Jan. '94. It was -5, and I was just wearing a modest jacket. Waiting for 20 minutes in a dead car for a Statie to show up made my nipples hard for a week.

This map is awesome. Never seen anything close to that in my lifetime.

Having lived through that, I can assure you it was an amazing experience. Windows covered with thick heavy frost with delicate feathery patterns all over the glass (you couldnt see anything through that frosted glass) and when I went outside and breathed the cold air I could swear my lips were frosting over too.

Archived