• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What is the coldest temp you have been in?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many layers did you have?

Four or 5 or so, we were skiing. They had shut down most of the lifts except the gondola, and at the top everything was just white. All the trees, the lodge at the top, everything. We only stayed out skiing for 30-40 min, because after that it was just miserable. I remember later that day we were driving back to VA, and it was 60 degrees warmer in Charlottesville and still cold enough to snow (which it was doing).

-42 F in Chibougamau QC. We snowmobiled to Matagami that day. Daytime high never got above -30 F. I don't have a clue what the windchill factor would be at -40f + 50mph sled ride down a railroad bed that I thought was never going to end. The main thing about that was the insides of my hands were warm from the heated grips but the outside were near the frostbite stage. It sets the stage for weird cramps and pains in your hands and fingers. I bought gauntlets for the handlebars at lunch that day. Problem solved. But all in all it, it wasn't that bad. I would ride again in temps that cold.

it hit -28F in town last winter... walked out of the apartment just for the experience of it.. car does strange things at that temperature but still starts fine with mobil 1 0W30. Not as cold as North dakota but still common to hit 10 or 20 below at night here... not this winter so far though... been pretty tame temp-wise actually. I've grown to like the cold, living back in town.. it's crisp. Refreshing, especially after jogging for 40 minutes in the health club, then going outside in nothing but shorts and a t-shirt and watching the whole body steam.

Well with 71 years of life and 30 years of work as a Met, one racks up a lot of weather experiences worth talking about. Also helps that I became interested in Science (chiefly Astronomy, Meteorology, Vulcanology and Seismology) when I was young (about 10 years old). Also, I have that old time forecaster's memory that remembers the big weather situations (but I can't remember people's names worth crap). I am currently posting my AZ weather war stories on my homepage with part 7 due soon.

Steve

Link to the homepage?

Coldest for me here in the States was -24 in Buckhannon, WV on 21 Jan 1985. I tried the "throw a cup of water in the air" trick to see if it sould flash freeze. No luck. I also went skiing at Mt. St. Anne in Quebec a few years ago where the high was -15 and the lows were nonchalantly reported as in the upper -20's in the papers. When the slopes opened each day with the temps around -25, they were full of crazy skiiers.

Archived