Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Wednesday-Thursday Rain/Thunder/Iso Severe

phlwx

post-105-0-59314400-1369212586_thumb.jpg

We're in the infamous "see text" for tomorrow.  Last second upgrade to slight on Thursday? ;)

Parameters are solid -- there's enough there for severe if we had a decent amount of sunshine.   Cape is north of 1000 in Central PA, LI's are good, the parameters are supportive but we're battling cloud cover.  How much (if any) sun we get will go a ways to determine if storms can reach severe criteria.

PWATS are north of 1.5 most of the day, flirting with 1.75 on the 0z GFS in South Jersey tomorrow evening. Heavy rain is definitely a player for tomorrow & tomorrow night.  Could see some 2" totals in spots.

attachicon.gif052413-PWA.jpg

We're in the infamous "see text" for tomorrow.  Last second upgrade to slight on Thursday? ;)

Parameters are solid -- there's enough there for severe if we had a decent amount of sunshine.   Cape is north of 1000 in Central PA, LI's are good, the parameters are supportive but we're battling cloud cover.  How much (if any) sun we get will go a ways to determine if storms can reach severe criteria.

PWATS are north of 1.5 most of the day, flirting with 1.75 on the 0z GFS in South Jersey tomorrow evening. Heavy rain is definitely a player for tomorrow & tomorrow night.  Could see some 2" totals in spots.

Pressure falls are also supportive, with the 1008mb isobar down to the Mason Dixon line intersecting w/ > 65F dew points.

I think the upgraded slight risk will probably be from MD northeastward with the highest probability in PA/NY.

gajemype.jpg

At this point, flash flooding seems to be the big threat here and not severe. Battling cloud cover could determine what happens. Any breaks in the clouds could make things Interesting, but that seems more isolated as of now.

gajemype.jpgAt this point, flash flooding seems to be the big threat here and not severe. Battling cloud cover could determine what happens. Any breaks in the clouds could make things Interesting, but that seems more isolated as of now.

yup. Flooding should be the main concern with the high pw's.

Just a PSA/reminder about the RAP:

Unrealistic super-adiabtic lapse rates right at the surface will lead to it modeling much higher CAPEs than will actually come to fruition - as always.

y7udyras.jpg

haha.

I know it runs too high, and i should of noted it. Just showing the areas where the possibility of some thunder could be heard. This cloud cover is a real b&(CH

haha.

I know it runs too high, and i should of noted it. Just showing the areas where the possibility of some thunder could be heard. This cloud cover is a real b&(CH

Probably caused from the temp contrast of the land and the river.

Hahahha whenever I think it gets old, boom! Nope!

Nice clearing skies in upper Darby for now:

etyqu9ut.jpg

everyone is loved but us SE PA folks lol..

a8u3etun.jpg

so far, all we've seen are popcorn type showers/storms. The weak cap isn't helping, but thats to be expected with the subtropical flow i suppose. Losing faith in any severe type storms later, maybe garden variety at best.

We have just been assaulted with heavy rain in the past 10 minutes.   Had < .1 in the gauge....now, well over 0.5" in 10 minutes.  Overwhelming the gutters, the flower beds.....sheesh.   Well, at least the car is washed.   A little thunder and lightning, which would have been impossible to see.

The "precipitable water" has precipitated.

Edit......I squished out to the rain gauge.....exactly 0.7"......so quite a quick hitting deluge.

The complex in MD bears watching, imo.  Nothing severe expected, of course, but it's at least a bit more organized than what we've been dealing with so far today.

We're still decently unstable.  SPC Mesoalaysis is showing 1000-1500 J/Kg of CAPE still widespread west of the Delaware, which account for the RAP's warm/unstable bias, probably means we've got a solid 500-750 J/Kg to work with.

Low-level shear is increasing just a bit too.  0-1 km shear vectors have magnitudes greater than 20 knots now northeast of the city thanks to some backing of the surface winds.  That won't really help with overall storm organization since deep-layer shear is still essentially nil, but it might mean that we see an occasional TOR pop up like they have in VA this afternoon.

Archived