• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x

With the last few summers having the "death ridge" signature, I thought I would create a thread to track its affects throughout the summer. It appears the summer death ridge is just starting up for this summer. Some places in California will hit 95 degrees on Friday, which is some 20-25 degrees above normal this time of year.

post-585-0-04338400-1367216137_thumb.gif

post-585-0-74911600-1367216145_thumb.gif

post-585-0-33912500-1367216597_thumb.png

This isn't a death ridge, it is a Rex Block that will eventually move along.

It might not be the official full blown death ridge, but I believe it is the beginning of the developments of one, rex or not. The models have constantly been modeling a persistent pacific ridge, even into the long range. It might move along, but it wouldn't surprise me if a more permanent feature develops out of this pattern. It has been abnormally dry in the desert southwest along with California as a whole. I could see the west being the focus point of the death ridge this summer.

That's not really a death ridge (from the perspective of the 00z GFS it almost appears to be a hybrid of an omega block and a rex block), this is a death ridge...

500_110717_12.gif

I know this ridge isn't a mega death ridge, but its the begining of the baby phase. This time of year is when the death ridge begins the birth phase, and the models have been persistent with the pacific ridge. This summer will have the death ridge focused on the west.

It might not be the official full blown death ridge, but I believe it is the beginning of the developments of one, rex or not. The models have constantly been modeling a persistent pacific ridge, even into the long range. It might move along, but it wouldn't surprise me if a more permanent feature develops out of this pattern. It has been abnormally dry in the desert southwest along with California as a whole. I could see the west being the focus point of the death ridge this summer.

I would disagree that this is the start of the death ridge, the models show it lasting for maybe 5-7 days before troughing starts to move into the area.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not so sure about a so called 'Death Ridge' is in the cards this year. Conditions are much different than the past two spring/summer seasons and Plains have benefited from the change in pattern.

• 1 month later...

55jb0z.gif

Since there is a death ridge being modeled now, this would be a good time to bring this thread up again. The Euro and I believe to some extent the GFS is showing a mega ridge forming on Utah and its surrounding states. This image is just a start, I read that one showed 600 dm but couldn't find it. The one above is pretty wild, amazing curve. I'll be watching to see what records fall.

In AZ the death ridge is called the monsoon high because when it gets into its typical summer position they get the windflow shift moisture increase and the dynamics associated with the North American Monsoon and a dramatic increase in thunderstorm activity and rainfall in SE AZ.

Steve

Archived