• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Songs that remind you of past snow

NGTim

There are certain songs that, when I hear them, I am taken back in my mind to when I was very young and it was snowing (rare occurrence where I grew up in S. GA).  The songs really have nothing to do with snow, but they just stuck in my mind for some reason because it was like a soundtrack and the two are associated for some reason in my brain.  It may just be me, and if so I'll let this topic just scroll off the page.  But I thought it would be interesting if others experienced the same thing. 

So a few I can think of right now are fly robin fly, and you sexy thing by hot chocolate.  Curious choice of songs I know.   I didn't pick these songs, they picked me.  And note this was in the 70s obviously.  

There are also some that remind me of my first trips to the NC High Country.  One was Jump by Van Halen that reminds me of my first trip to Sugar Mtn when my brother and I were scared out of our wits looking down Tom Terrific (I think thats the name of that run.  I remember him giving the musical command "go ahead and jump!").  Lastly, almost any song from Tour De Force by 38 Special.  We must have played that cassette (or was it 8 track ;) non-stop riding around Boone in 84 or 85 I guess. 

The music they used to play on the local forecast at the weather channel during the 80s. I used to hear it endlessly because I was glued to the channel back then.

I was too! Remember this one? It reminds me of being glued to TWC when I lived in Augusta Ga praying to see a stray flake or 3.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaEPC_URCCk&list=FLPfkHlavBneWI62Rhxut2iA&index=56

There are certain songs that, when I hear them, I am taken back in my mind to when I was very young and it was snowing (rare occurrence where I grew up in S. GA).  The songs really have nothing to do with snow, but they just stuck in my mind for some reason because it was like a soundtrack and the two are associated for some reason in my brain.  It may just be me, and if so I'll let this topic just scroll off the page.  But I thought it would be interesting if others experienced the same thing. 

So a few I can think of right now are fly robin fly, and you sexy thing by hot chocolate.  Curious choice of songs I know.   I didn't pick these songs, they picked me.  And note this was in the 70s obviously.  

There are also some that remind me of my first trips to the NC High Country.  One was Jump by Van Halen that reminds me of my first trip to Sugar Mtn when my brother and I were scared out of our wits looking down Tom Terrific (I think thats the name of that run.  I remember him giving the musical command "go ahead and jump!").  Lastly, almost any song from Tour De Force by 38 Special.  We must have played that cassette (or was it 8 track ;) non-stop riding around Boone in 84 or 85 I guess. 

Where in South Ga did you grow up. Were you there in 1973. I lived just south of Augusta then and we got hammered with 16 in. in Feb. 73.

Where in South Ga did you grow up. Were you there in 1973. I lived just south of Augusta then and we got hammered with 16 in. in Feb. 73.

Peach County.  I was in second grade in 73.  that was the most awesome snow experience of my life, we got somewhere around 18 inches.   Huge Flakes, unexpected snow dump, not a lot of wind, snowed for I think 3 days, no job to worry about. what more can you ask for.

Peach County.  I was in second grade in 73.  that was the most awesome snow experience of my life, we got somewhere around 18 inches.   Huge Flakes, unexpected snow dump, not a lot of wind, snowed for I think 3 days, no job to worry about. what more can you ask for.

I was 4 years old but I do remember it. I remember the huge icicles hanging down from the roof! At that age I though that was common, boy was I wrong. My Grandaddy, born in 1907, said that was the biggest snow he had ever seen. He said he remembered another big snow when he was a boy that was about 10 inches. Here is a good analysis of the 73 storm.........

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/Feb1973.html

I lived in Greenwood, SC about 60 miles north of you and we got 12 to 14 inches. Awesome storm. Crocodile Rock by Elton John was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 at that time.

Rod Stewart

Mandolin Wind 

(Ancient circa 1972) (Back when it REALLY used to always snow)

Oh the snow fell without a break....
Buffalo died in the frozen fields you know....
Through the coldest winter in almost 14 years...

Through the coldest winter in almost 14 years..

Never could change your mind....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAyWj8KbY0s

• 3 weeks later...

Add to the list the many many instrumentals on the Private Music Label...including all of the ones by Patrick O'Hearn. I've got a lot of that in my library that brings back memories of significant winter events.

Patrick O'Hearn settled locally in our NC Blue Ridge down in Bat Cave, NC to raise his family.

I will try to link to some of his content that was used as background for the Weatherstar Local Forecast segments back in the day on the Weather Channel.

Archived