• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 24 CWG medium range discussion

usedtobe

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/roller-coaster-ride-warm-up-next-week-then-cold-may-return-in-early-feb/2013/01/24/506bdc98-6657-11e2-85f5-a8a9228e55e7_blog.html#pagebreak

What I didn't mention is that there were two analogs that produced over 3 inches of snow.  One produced over a foot at ADW and 6.8 at DCA.  I ended up with 12 inches in mby.  This shows how you can get a pretty decent snow despite having a less than optimal mean vortex placement.  A northern stream system digs way far south and induces a wave on the coast.  This system had snow to liquid ratios of 20-1 in the dc area.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1996/us0216.php

So you're saying there's a chance.  :snowman:  :P

Sure but it's probably below 10% by quite a bit.  The euro upper low hanging back is interesting if the pattern relaxed enough for something to drop in behind it.  I suspect if an upper low is down there that the models will start bringing it northward to make sure we have another potential forecast bust. 

So you're saying there's a chance.  :snowman:  :P

I just got to the the center date of each analog and then give it 3 days on each side of it and then look up the snow stats for those 10 periods on the DCA snowfall data.  To know for sure whether the number of dates is above the climo pops or not I really should look at all years for the the time of year that the forecast is for but that is too much work though I guess it wouldn't be if I used just the data since 1950.  I may do that the next time I do an article. 

Archived