• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Michigan Weather

TugHillMatt

Hi guys...I thought this might be a nice page so some of you don't have to read about Michigan if you don't care to.

If you guys want to see something astounding, check out the weather underground webcams of Michigan. Almost all of lower Michigan has no snow (only areas that look to have snow...more like ugly slush is the strip from Kingsley to Gaylord. Many areas in the U.P. are lacking snowcover too. Marquette is showing mostly grass!

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/

Just mostly dirty plow piles left here. Its interesting to note that the grass is matted down in spots from the weight of a several-week snowpack. Again this alone is better than anything we saw anytime last year, as we saw a 5-day, 4-day, a few 3-day, and then a few scattered other days of snowcover, and that was it. yet also...the grass is greener than it is brown. This probably has to do with the fact that a torchy first 3 weeks of December gave way to immediate, insulating snowcover once the cold arrived, so no time for the ground to die, grass to get really brown. IF...and I say IF...we dont get any snowcover for the upcoming arctic blast, it will be the complete opposite and the grass will turn really brown, but hopefully clippers and the lakes will take care of that.

Just mostly dirty plow piles left here. Its interesting to note that the grass is matted down in spots from the weight of a several-week snowpack. Again this alone is better than anything we saw anytime last year, as we saw a 5-day, 4-day, a few 3-day, and then a few scattered other days of snowcover, and that was it. yet also...the grass is greener than it is brown. This probably has to do with the fact that a torchy first 3 weeks of December gave way to immediate, insulating snowcover once the cold arrived, so no time for the ground to die, grass to get really brown. IF...and I say IF...we dont get any snowcover for the upcoming arctic blast, it will be the complete opposite and the grass will turn really brown, but hopefully clippers and the lakes will take care of that.

I can't imagine Michigan going through this whole cold spell without some snow. But, winters have been strange here lately. In a way, I am glad I will have a sleet layer tonight before the snow because that will make a nice frozen and compact layer for snow to land on.

There is ZERO chance ANYONE in Michigan will have bare ground 1 week from now.... Lake belts will have anywhere from a 6-24 inches by that time.

Indications are that SE Michigan will have a good 3-6 inches or so.... Probably east of US23.

I dont wanna say ZERO chance, but Id love to bet money on John Dees maps being a failure. Its one thing to concentrate on a specific area, and that is definitely the snowbelts, particularly up north...but his maps flat out deny how weather works. If the LES is that active with a WNW flow, NO WAY does SE MI not get a Trace :lol:

I dont wanna say ZERO chance, but Id love to bet money on John Dees maps being a failure. Its one thing to concentrate on a specific area, and that is definitely the snowbelts, particularly up north...but his maps flat out deny how weather works. If the LES is that active with a WNW flow, NO WAY does SE MI not get a Trace :lol:

How do you guys usually fare with this sort of set up? Scattered snow showers dumping up to an inch in a quick time period?

How do you guys usually fare with this sort of set up? Scattered snow showers dumping up to an inch in a quick time period?

Its very hard to tell... many times I end up with 1-4 inches and Wyandotte gets a trace... LES reforms over the glacial interlobe in SE Michigan and dies out as the elevation decreases.

Really? I thought it was a good idea. It has been going fine. Ohio has their own thread.

It's good idea if it was more leaned towards the hobby/news part about it. Instead of future weather because in defense of Sparty he is right. We do have other threads for forecasting. I will use this thread to show web cams and talk about snow depth across the state, talk about activities...etc rather then what will happen down the road..

It's good idea if it was more leaned towards the hobby/news part about it. Instead of future weather because in defense of Sparty he is right. We do have other threads for forecasting. I will use this thread to show web cams and talk about snow depth across the state, talk about activities...etc rather then what will happen down the road..

Ok. That is more of what I meant anyways. Thanks for the explanation.

Lol..seriously, some of you remind me of uptight, critical people that just like to put people down. I am trying to enjoy posting on this board...so if you want to be douches I will just ignore you from now on.

Don't worry about it just re-label the thread so it avoids confusion. 

Lol..seriously, some of you remind me of uptight, critical people that just like to put people down. I am trying to enjoy posting on this board...so if you want to be douches I will just ignore you from now on.

And some of you get offended too easily.

:P

I'm just teasing.

Ever since the board went to sub-forums its pretty much turned in to one big separated and dysfunctional family so whats another thread to divide the board up even more.  With the growing of the member count something had to be done and sub-forums was the only real sensible way to do it -  but, I sure do miss the days when it was just one big dysfunctional family posting together though.

Archived