Guess the 2013 Global Temperature Anomalies

donsutherland1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

GISS is going to have to come in below .60C for more than one month the rest of the year to not move into the the top 5 or so warmest years on record.

A lot of the warmest years had very warm October-December periods.

10 Warmest Years:

1. 2010 +0.674°C

2. 2005 +0.661°C

3. 2007 +0.627°C

4. 1998 +0.615°C

5. 2002 +0.614°C

6. 2003 +0.600°C

7. 2006 +0.596°C

8. 2013 +0.588°C (6th warmest January-September)

9. 2012 +0.581°C

10. 2011 +0.558°C

2010, 2005, 2003, 2006, 2009, and 2012 all had October-December anomalies of +0.60°C or above and both 2005 and 2006 had October-December anomalies > +0.70°C.

It's between Don and I most likely now I think for GISS (I didn't check NCDC but I'm guessing the same is true for that). 

I'm .61 and he is .60. The rest of the year needs to average .66 to  get us to my .61.

I was the highest guess. And despite ENSO averaging under -.3 for the year, we may exceed my guess.

My guess was based on an ONI of +.1, so it was slightly warmer than I expected given an actual ONI of -.3. Had the ONI averaged +.1, the globe would probably have averaged closer to +.65. 

Friv needs the remainder of the year to average .60 or lower to keep the year at or below .59.  

The trend in recent years has been for the winter to turn much colder in the NH than the warm season. I don't think it would be shocking for one or both of the next couple months to come in below .6C on GISS.

I do think this thread is kind of lacking, as it only includes the two temperatures sources that have been running the warmest in recent years.

The trend in recent years has been for the winter to turn much colder in the NH than the warm season. I don't think it would be shocking for one or both of the next couple months to come in below .6C on GISS.

I do think this thread is kind of lacking, as it only includes the two temperatures sources that have been running the warmest in recent years.

Isn't Sept-Oct usually the warmest months of the year globally? 

What do you propose we use?  We could use UAH, but the versions keep changing.  RSS has a notorious cold bias to it and it does not include data at any of the poles.  HADCrut4 we could use, but that also is missing data at the poles.   

If we add UAH to this thread.  It is currently on pace for the 4th warmest year in it's dataset.  

Maybe hadcrut4 is cooler than GISS, NCDC, and UAH.

Last December cooled off so much because the AO tanked and we had the epic Asian cold outbreak last December.  ENSO was also trending negative.  Where as it's trending positive now and expected to warm more as we head into winter.

Also AMSU channel 6 temps are near record highs still.  

If we go into this winter without a PV sitting South over a large land region I can't anything near how last December shook out. 

Expecially with ENSO continuing to warm. 

navy-anom-bb.gif

If we add UAH to this thread.  It is currently on pace for the 4th warmest year in it's dataset.  

Last December cooled off so much because the AO tanked and we had the epic Asian cold outbreak last December.  ENSO was also trending negative.  Where as it's trending positive now and expected to warm more as we head into winter.

If we go into this winter without a PV sitting South over a large land region I can't anything near how last December shook out. 

ENSO trending down had almost nothing to do with last December's cold...in fact, ENSO last year peaked in September, which would tend to try and make December warmer with the usual lag. Most of the December cold had to do with the AO pattern producing the cold spots on the continents.

ENSO trending down had almost nothing to do with last December's cold...in fact, ENSO last year peaked in September, which would tend to try and make December warmer with the usual lag. Most of the December cold had to do with the AO pattern producing the cold spots on the continents.

Yeah, January than bounced up above 0.6. It's one of the reason why it's so difficult to statistically isolate ENSO, it changes the global temperature very differently from month to month in context of many other elements.

What do you propose we use?  We could use UAH, but the versions keep changing.  RSS has a notorious cold bias to it and it does not include data at any of the poles.  HADCrut4 we could use, but that also is missing data at the poles.   

We have used sources that don't include the whole Arctic before. They never have, so it's not like you're changing the standard for their anomalies.

I don't remember hearing about this RSS "cold bias" a few years ago when UAH was running cooler. RSS has the coolest trend lately, but I could make the same argument that the source with the warmest trend lately has a "notorious warm bias".

And there is no source that has real extensive data at the poles, just a lot of extrapolation.

navy-anom-bb.gif

Why does that map look so much warmer than other SSTA ones I see?

We have used sources that don't include the whole Arctic before. They never have, so it's not like you're changing the standard for their anomalies.

I don't remember hearing about this RSS "cold bias" a few years ago when UAH was running cooler. RSS has the coolest trend lately, but I could make the same argument that the source with the warmest trend lately has a "notorious warm bias".

And there is no source that has real extensive data at the poles, just a lot of extrapolation.

RSS is only missing one pole...it has up to 82.5N in the arctic. The remaining area missing is very small...its the southern hemisphere where its missing more as it only goes to 70S there.

navy-anom-bb.gif

post-558-0-09964000-1383334789_thumb.gif

There are several areas that look much cooler on this map. Baseline difference?

Archived