joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor Forecast Discussion

am19psu

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest thoughts from NJ PA weather (non-paid)

"An area of low pressure will produce light to moderate snowfall starting tomorrow morning around 6 AM to 9 AM and continuing through tomorrow evening between 8 PM and 10 PM. Snowfall accumulations will vary with 1 to 3 inches along the immediate coast due to some mixing of rain, 2 to 4 inches elsewhere. A burst of moderate snowfall will lead to the potential for an isolated amount of up to 6 inches over southeastern Pennsylvania through central New Jersey. Temperatures will rise into the lower to mid 30′s over the interior and mid 30′s along the coast"

Some paraphrase musings from JB earlier this evening on WB

Going with heaviest snows (4"+) for most of the areas N and W of all the big 95 cities. He says he's a little nervous around DC it has been wanting to snow there and that could turn into a fiasco where there is more than I have ( his snow line is south of the city.) He sees this as a south of the last storm as far as heavier snows go - he thinks SE NE area could see amounts really crank at the last minute.

He wants to remind folks that there is good with the bad in the ideas/forecasts he laid out. He doubts people (not that anyone on americanwx ever doubted him) 10 days before Christmas where giving his Nov 22nd forecast a chance to verify....he admits that technically it was a bust....it was more than he forecasted 60-65%. He is a bit defensive talking about his amazement over some of the comments over missing details on the storms.... storms that a few days before people had no idea were coming or were driving to the lakes. He takes credit and mentions you had to know the pattern if you were predicting for the biggest holiday period of the year, that kind of event - meteorologically a tougher call than Sandy. He makes a point that when flips to cold start ( around the holidays) -look out, it may back off for while but odds are the bulk of the following 2 winter months are wild weather wise.

Moving forward, the period after New Years is very interesting. he thinks we have a shot at phasing over the east and the reason is that the southwest system should kick out faster than the models are saying given the pattern in the Pacific - he says if he didn't have the models telling him that this would not happen, he would think that there is a big storm out of the western gulf and right up the east coast with plenty of arctic air later next week - as for arctic air that is coming gangbusters in the 6-10 day period - and despite a warm up that he sees coming it is simply a reload to more cold down the road.

If the phase of this storm is going to happen early than you would want to see a pivot in the precipitation shield to the south.

Saturday December 29, 2012 6:01 nynjpaweather

6:00

db9afc7959979a7c4861f79150f0e0ab_normal.jpeg

Steven DiMartino@nynjpaweather twitter_bird.png

Now, this separation is expected right now. It's only 6 AM. But the next few hours will tell us a lot about this storm.

Saturday December 29, 2012 6:00 nynjpaweather

6:00

We can clearly see how the two disturbances are still separated on the radar. radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loo…

Saturday December 29, 2012 6:00 nynjpaweather

5:54

Pressure rapidly falling off SC coast this hour as coastal starts to take control. 1.usa.gov/TNjzvp

JB post from today - still seeing a potential storm on the east coast late this week (I know you are all surprised!!)

"I don't believe a trough will lock off in the rockies with a trough coming into the west coast and believe the threat of a major storm on the east coas next week with severe cold is still on the table, So 5 days from now, we can look back at this and laugh, or look at it and see how close it gets"

Unfortunately these days that is considered "severe" cold.

Only because of Bastardi and some of the media playing up low 30's as "arctic" or even "very" cold for highs. Even in the trash heap of last winter we got to 33 or below in Philly 4 times last January. It happens a few times even in shi**y winters.

Only because of Bastardi and some of the media playing up low 30's as "arctic" or even "very" cold for highs. Even in the trash heap of last winter we got to 33 or below in Philly 4 times last January. It happens a few times even in shi**y winters.

I know what you are saying, but i grew up in this area my whole life and it was a hell of alot colder when i was a kid than it is now.

I think he was mentioning gfs missing how cold it will be on Friday.....believe he was saying 5 degrees in NYC?....of course not a forecast just his "musings"

JB post from today - still seeing a potential storm on the east coast late this week (I know you are all surprised!!)

"I don't believe a trough will lock off in the rockies with a trough coming into the west coast and believe the threat of a major storm on the east coas next week with severe cold is still on the table, So 5 days from now, we can look back at this and laugh, or look at it and see how close it gets"

thanks for the info.....i almost got to use my SHOVEL yesterday for the first time in over a year but rain washed away my 0.2 of SNOWPACK in NE Phila........JB rocks.........

Archived