• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5 Year Anniversary: December 15-16, 2007 Winter Storm

Chicago WX

5 years ago today, the beginning of the December 15-16, 2007 storm. We've reminisced about this one before, but might as well again. MO, IL, IN, MI, and ON were primarily affected...on the wintry side of things.

We had light snow here in the afternoon on the 15th, that turned to sleet for a brief period in the evening. Thought we were screwed, but it flipped back to snow quickly. Overnight saw the snow get heavy at times. TSSN was reported in northern Indiana. LAF had 10.5" when all was said and done. Yada yada Hoosier, yes I went to bed and missed the best part.

Below, one run of the NAM where it went crazy.

Surface map at 7:00pm on the 15th.

Surface map at 7:00am on the 16th.

LOVED that storm! And it was just the beginning of the wonderfully snowy winter of 2007-08. Had 9.8" imby, snd I was at a Christmas party that night and remember how scary the drive was. The only sucky thing is a torch took the snow away a few days before Christmas and we just had a T on the ground. I have pictures from December 17th of everything buried in snow...and then looking at pics from Christmas morning you see grass out the window. (Simply uncanny as Ive been informed in recent days by many from my area that the weather in early-mid Dec is an EXCELLENT prognosticator of White Christmas potential :whistle: ).

This 9.8" would be my 2nd largest snowstorm of a 78.2" winter, only behind 10.3" on Mar 4/5th. DTW got 9.0" with this December 15/16 storm which would be their largest snowstorm of the 71.7" winter season.

860.jpg

858.jpg

871.jpg

873.jpg

879.jpg

5 years ago today, the beginning of the December 15-16, 2007 storm. We've reminisced about this one before, but might as well again. MO, IL, IN, MI, and ON were primarily affected...on the wintry side of things.

We had light snow here in the afternoon on the 15th, that turned to sleet for a brief period in the evening. Thought we were screwed, but it flipped back to snow quickly. Overnight saw the snow get heavy at times. TSSN was reported in northern Indiana. LAF had 10.5" when all was said and done. Yada yada Hoosier, yes I went to bed and missed the best part.

Snowmap:

20071217_NOHRSC_72hr_snowfall.PNG

20071218_michigan.gif

A sampling of the higher storm totals from Indiana.

Claypool: 17.0"

North Webster (IWX): 16.5"

Warsaw: 16.0"

Goshen: 15.0"

Albion: 14.0"

Columbia City: 14.0"

Warsaw: 13.0"

Plymouth: 13.5"

Knox: 12.0"

Angola: 11.5"

Yeoman: 11.5"

Valparaiso: 11.1"