• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thermometer

BIG FROSTY

Was wondering where everybody has their thermometer placed? Which side of the house, how high off the ground, etc... ? It seems mine has been running a little high compared to other temp reports in the area... Had mine on the NE side of the building about 5 foot high. Not sure if that's a proper placement?

Where is your's located?

Mine is currently 6' off the ground in the backyard. Somewhat of a good location but too close to the fence.. When my Vantage pro ISS died I had to get a Vue as a backup. The radiation shields are smaller and you can definately tell when the sun hits the ISS. A fan mod may be needed. The rest of the time the temps are within standards....

Was wondering where everybody has their thermometer placed? Which side of the house, how high off the ground, etc... ? It seems mine has been running a little high compared to other temp reports in the area... Had mine on the NE side of the building about 5 foot high. Not sure if that's a proper placement?

Where is your's located?

Big Frosty:

That sounds like a reasonable placement for the thermometer.

Myself, I have noticed that many of these $30 electronic remote sensor thermometers are off a few degrees when compared to a calibrated mercury thermometer.

I know, the 1.5 degree differential will aggreviate the dickens out of you when we deal with a 33 and rain or 31.5 and freezing rain scenario during a winter icing event.

Hopefully this winter we will be dealig with more 24 and snow!

Thanks Guys! I relocated mine to the N side of my house about 4' off the ground. Give it a try there, I have always had a problem trying to keep it out of the sun, but when sun is not hitting it it's pretty accurate. I move it under my deck trying to keep it out of the sun but I don't think I was getting a accurate reading there either? it was running a few degrees warmer at night than areas around me... So we'll see how it does on the N side of the house!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Guys! I relocated mine to the N side of my house about 4' off the ground. Give it a try there, I have always had a problem trying to keep it out of the sun, but when sun is not hitting it it's pretty accurate. I move it under my deck trying to keep it out of the sun but I don't think I was getting a accurate reading there either? it was running a few degrees warmer at night than areas around me... So we'll see how it does on the N side of the house!

I once bought a louvered closet door and cut it up to make a shelter for my thermometer and it worked pretty good. I also installed a small fan in it and ran a wire to it for power to make it fan aspirated and it worked pretty good.

Ambient weather station, are they any good?

I found Ambient WS-2080 and WS-1090 anybody have one of these? and is it any good?

I had a WS-1090 until yesterday. The wind absolutely ripped it apart because of the plastic mounting bracket...it might be fine for your area, but it couldn't take 2 days of hurricane force gusts.

I had a WS-1090 until yesterday. The wind absolutely ripped it apart because of the plastic mounting bracket...it might be fine for your area, but it couldn't take 2 days of hurricane force gusts.

Did it work fine until yesterday? I found it for like $113.00 Said reg price $259.00?

Where did you have it mounted?

I once bought a louvered closet door and cut it up to make a shelter for my thermometer and it worked pretty good. I also installed a small fan in it and ran a wire to it for power to make it fan aspirated and it worked pretty good.

Thanks for the tip, Moto!!! I have a La crosse I've had for years but the wind sensor broke not long after I had it, then I ordered another wind sensor and it didn't work a month and broke... so i'm just going to get me another new station.

I like the Davis products. Have the. Vp2. Daculaweather has the vie and seems to like it.

They have all kinds of mounting options? I was going to get a mast and mount it to my deck but the house will block the wind! So I think I may just plant me a 4x4 post in the middle of my back yard as far as I can from woods and buildings and mount a mast pole to it, Is that a good idea? If so how high should mount it? The deck mount would be the cheapest, lol.. But like I said house would block the wind... How and where would you mount it?

Thanks for all your help!

They have all kinds of mounting options? I was going to get a mast and mount it to my deck but the house will block the wind! So I think I may just plant me a 4x4 post in the middle of my back yard as far as I can from woods and buildings and mount a mast pole to it, Is that a good idea? If so how high should mount it? The deck mount would be the cheapest, lol.. But like I said house would block the wind... How and where would you mount it?

Thanks for all your help!

I would do a post out in the middle of a grassy area away from as many things as possible. I personally just cemented a galvanized fence post into the ground and attached my VP2 to that. Ideal temps are recorded at about 5' off the ground so that would be your height. I know that's not the ideal wind height but you gotta do the best you can do. My wind gauge is only 6 feet off the ground but it has a wide open view to the NW so it gets those NW winds really well in the winter time.

I like the Davis products. Have the. Vp2. Daculaweather has the vue and seems to like it.

I'm pretty disappointed by the Vue ISS. anytime the sun hits it the temps go all out of wack and get too warm. The anemometer is worthless when it is as low as the temp/rain gauge.

My purchase this winter will be a replacement Vp2ISS and to sell this VueISS.

I'm pretty disappointed by the Vue ISS. anytime the sun hits it the temps go all out of wack and get too warm. The anemometer is worthless when it is as low as the temp/rain gauge.

My purchase this winter will be a replacement Vp2ISS and to sell this VueISS.

Fine time to hear this!!! lol. But hey that's the story of my life, day late and a dollar short....

Alright been watching lot of you tube video's on the Davis Vue, and all seem to like them alot! I did notice most had them mounted high like 10-30 ft high... So my question is if I mount it high enough for accurate wind reading say 15-20 feet how much will the temp be off? I know temp is suppose to be 5ft of the ground, but as Isopycinc said the wind is useless, So what height would you mount it?

Fine time to hear this!!! lol. But hey that's the story of my life, day late and a dollar short....

I didn't mean to discourage you at all.

IMHO, this station works great for gathering data and would be a great station as compared to accurite stations. My complaints really are comparing candied apples to gold-coated oranges. sad.png

I didn't mean to discourage you at all.

IMHO, this station works great for gathering data and would be a great station as compared to accurite stations. My complaints really are comparing candied apples to gold-coated oranges. sad.png

Gotcha! I think it's all I will need.. I'm going to put in in my back yard about 5-7' high...

Thanks for the info!!

Alright been watching lot of you tube video's on the Davis Vue, and all seem to like them alot! I did notice most had them mounted high like 10-30 ft high... So my question is if I mount it high enough for accurate wind reading say 15-20 feet how much will the temp be off? I know temp is suppose to be 5ft of the ground, but as Isopycinc said the wind is useless, So what height would you mount it?

I would never put it that high up because you will not be happy with the temps...especially lows on calm clear nights. I would stick with 5-6 feet and just live with the fact that it's not ideal for wind. My wind is 6 feet off the ground but its out in an open field and does just fine. Personally I would rather have the best temp and precip readings versus sacrificing on those to get a better wind reading. Just my 2 cents...

I would never put it that high up because you will not be happy with the temps...especially lows on calm clear nights. I would stick with 5-6 feet and just live with the fact that it's not ideal for wind. My wind is 6 feet off the ground but its out in an open field and does just fine. Personally I would rather have the best temp and precip readings versus sacrificing on those to get a better wind reading. Just my 2 cents...

That's exactly the conclusion I come to, Temp/Rain is the most important...

I appreciate your advice. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Now I just need it to hurry up and get here, I'm going to plant my post and have it ready this weekend... Just need some of this soon! snowwindow.gif

Archived