• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Newark ASOS

famartin

Elevation is the same, it's the coastal plain (maybe a few feet difference, but who cares?) If anything, my location is a tad bit LESS urban. My site has been described as "cited pefectly." Point is, I should be cooler, NOT warmer or equal to EWR if this is all correct.

Things can vary. Are you near a street, parking lot...A/C unit? There is a lot of variables. EWR is a warm place for sure. But, I don't see why people are defensive when the temps in the summer seem to run warm.. especially looking at that pic. It sounds like even Famartin also doesn't seem to disagree. You can't prove for sure obviously, but I don't see the harm in questioning some of the absurd temps.

Things can vary. Are you near a street, parking lot...A/C unit? There is a lot of variables. EWR is a warm place for sure. But, I don't see why people are defensive when the temps in the summer seem to run warm.. especially looking at that pic. It sounds like even Famartin also doesn't seem to disagree. You can't prove for sure obviously, but I don't see the harm in questioning some of the absurd temps.

I think that it's mostly just a very hot part of the state and the metro area in general.

The local stations were all really close on the big record breaker last July.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEWR/2011/7/22/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNJHARRI5&month=7&day=22&year=2011

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNJHARRI3&month=7&day=22&year=2011

I've seen the effects of bad siting. I've also seen less than perfect siting still show decent readings. I've seen good electronic thermometers, and bad ones. Before I begin to go down the road of agreeing that Greg's temps are good, I'd certainly like to see some photos of his site. But even still, it doesn't mean for certain that his readings are fine.

It's in the back yard, on a grassy surface, 30 feet from any street, and nowere near any AC unit. I take offense because I have spent years making sure my station is as properly cited as possible, spent extra to get an anenometer on the roof, and heated rain gauge, etc. When my station, the closest of anyone to EWR, is almost never cooler than EWR, I take offense when someone hundreds of miles away assumes it's "running warm".

I have a Taylor max/min thermometer that was checked by an official mercury thermometer when I was a member of the LIWO...I had a nimbus wired thermometer that usually was equal to the taylor...They would vary one degree sometimes...I had a rainwise weather station that was effected by ham radios...The nimbus was also before I sent it back to the compamy to have that kind of interference blocked...It still happens with my davis set...I don't know how AOS works but without a manual back up there can be false readings...

I have a Taylor max/min thermometer that was checked by an official mercury thermometer when I was a member of the LIWO...I had a nimbus wired thermometer that usually was equal to the taylor...They would vary one degree sometimes...I had a rainwise weather station that was effected by ham radios...The nimbus was also before I sent it back to the compamy to have that kind of interference blocked...It still happens with my davis set...I don't know how AOS works but without a manual back up there can be false readings...

I have several other cheaper, lower-priced digital thermometers in different locations, to always QC the data, and they're always within one degree of my readings.

It's in the back yard, on a grassy surface, 30 feet from any street, and nowere near any AC unit. I take offense because I have spent years making sure my station is as properly cited as possible, spent extra to get an anenometer on the roof, and heated rain gauge, etc. When my station, the closest of anyone to EWR, is almost never cooler than EWR, I take offense when someone hundreds of miles away assumes it's "running warm".

Step 1: Spend many years and lots of $$ making sure station is sited as perectly as possible.

Step 2: Never learn how to spell "sited".

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!

Just FYI, I know that's the best you can do, but 30 feet is well below specs.

Unless I buy the city lot behind the house, and grass over the library parking lot, it will have to do. It is somewhere between 30 and 50 feet, I don't know exactly, but I do know that 30 is the absolute minimum.

It's all good. Wasn't trying to ruffle in feathers. Just that in this day and age when temps are scrutinized and used for climate change debates...it's important to make sure the readings are representative.

Analog, if you don't mind me asking...how are you WRT EWR snow totals?

I just dont get why a few get so defensive when its brought up...it runs a bit warm...not peeing in ur cereal

NYC runs a bit cool when the Park has received rain and EWR runs a little warm.

Not sure why people get so defensive about this.

That whole NE corridor of NJ is essentially paved over, so it wouldn't surprise me if Analog's readings are similar to EWR or even slightly warmer.

Also keep in mind - the Watchung mountains sit conveniently to the immediate NW of the urban corridor, running SW to NE. Thus you've got double trouble on hot days -- concrete jungle in conjunction with downsloping, warming winds off the Watchung range can yield pockets of temps +2 to +3 degrees higher than the rest of the NYC metro. Those NE NJ towns are virtually ideally located for big heat.

Even with NW winds, I notice a fairly significantly difference in temps b/t my location in Monmouth and 20-25 miles northnorthwest in Middlesex County. My NW trajectory winds don't ride down the Watchung range.

It's all good. Wasn't trying to ruffle in feathers. Just that in this day and age when temps are scrutinized and used for climate change debates...it's important to make sure the readings are representative.

Analog, if you don't mind me asking...how are you WRT EWR snow totals?

Really depends on the storm. Sometimes, I'm higher. Sometimes, I'm lower. I think I probably average 0.5"-1" more than EWR, but it's basically the same.

That whole NE corridor of NJ is essentially paved over, so it wouldn't surprise me if Analog's readings are similar to EWR or even slightly warmer.

Also keep in mind - the Watchung mountains sit conveniently to the immediate NW of the urban corridor, running SW to NE. Thus you've got double trouble on hot days -- concrete jungle in conjunction with downsloping, warming winds off the Watchung range can yield pockets of temps +2 to +3 degrees higher than the rest of the NYC metro. Those NE NJ towns are virtually ideally located for big heat.

Even with NW winds, I notice a fairly significantly difference in temps b/t my location in Monmouth and 20-25 miles northnorthwest in Middlesex County. My NW trajectory winds don't ride down the Watchung range.

Exactly. A good 290-300 degree wind here will slope off the Watchungs and exacerbate the furnace. Also, the Watchung Ridge is small enough that this effect becomes quite localized.

Archived