• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 18-20 Talking Points - Part 2

am19psu

Over the long run, the Euro is the best model, period. It falls off in accuracy monotonically in time. For individual events, the Euro has the best probability of being correct, but for any one storm, the GFS or the UKM or the GEM might "win." The whole deadly thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

and lets hope that this is one of those holding back energy in the SW times...

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats not the point that i was making ..I was making a point on the ECM was the first to show what the GFS started showing later. 4 runs in a row that the ECM did this... before it started backing off and if you look at its means versus the operational run the means are more consistent with what the GFS has been showing then what the OP ECM has been showing...

The ECM is deadly 48 and under...NOT before hand..its fallible just like any other model prior to 48 hrs...

lol...no model is perfect at any point. Even the Euro inside 48 misses on minute details (I think it whiffed on 2/5 in NY even at 24-36 hours) The Euro, however, is the superior model. It cleaned the GFS' clock on last Sunday if you remember.

To be honest, it doesn't matter what a model shows 7 days out except that there's a storm signal. It also doesn't matter if the ensemble mean for a model agrees with the OP of another. The ensembles are not as high of resolution as the op and they are far more prone to error. The ensembles shouldn't be looked at as gospel or even as anything other than another "tool" to support the op of the main model they are run on, not what another model is showing.

The GFS hasn't had a consistent track or path with this storm outside of 12-18z for several days...it's been all over the place. It doesn't mean that the Euro is right, necessarily, but I would feel more comfortable forecasting with the Euro right now given the consistency it has shown of a weaker solution than the GFS, which is all over the map.

Over the long run, the Euro is the best model, period. It falls off in accuracy monotonically in time. For individual events, the Euro has the best probability of being correct, but for any one storm, the GFS or the UKM or the GEM might "win." The whole deadly thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Ive heard that its especially more accurate in la ninas.

lol...no model is perfect at any point. Even the Euro inside 48 misses on minute details (I think it whiffed on 2/5 in NY even at 24-36 hours) The Euro, however, is the superior model. It cleaned the GFS' clock on last Sunday if you remember.

To be honest, it doesn't matter what a model shows 7 days out except that there's a storm signal. It also doesn't matter if the ensemble mean for a model agrees with the OP of another. The ensembles are not as high of resolution as the op and they are far more prone to error. The ensembles shouldn't be looked at as gospel or even as anything other than another "tool" to support the op of the main model they are run on, not what another model is showing.

The GFS hasn't had a consistent track or path with this storm outside of 12-18z for several days...it's been all over the place. It doesn't mean that the Euro is right, necessarily, but I would feel more comfortable forecasting with the Euro right now given the consistency it has shown of a weaker solution than the GFS, which is all over the map.

But you're still missing the point. not having a storm and being flat ended up looking the same but for different reasons. The GFS has been far from consistent but you can't say you buy the euro because it hasn't shown a big storm and the GFS has been all over the place. Well you can, I just wouldn't agree.

There really is no rush to judge which solution is correct or to give up on anything-- I mean, most of us dont have to plan for Sunday 4 days in advance  Let's just let it play out and try to maintain an even keel and an open mind.  Ive never understood the need to have everything figured out days in advance outside of having to make special plans (like a wedding) on a particular day.  

you're right and the GFS hasn't exactly been consistent but you're simplifying things saying the euro has been consistent because its shown no storm since sunday night or whenever. First it showed no storm because of awful PV orientation but decent to good southern stream s/w and recently its been great PV orientation and NO southern stream s/w. hardly consistent if you ask me.

But you're still missing the point. not having a storm and being flat ended up looking the same but for different reasons. The GFS has been far from consistent but you can't say you buy the euro because it hasn't shown a big storm and the GFS has been all over the place. Well you can, I just wouldn't agree.

I'm only arguing the Euro's surface reflection (the bottom line) is consistent. The 500 over Eastern Canada has been a mess on both models -- I won't even defend the Euro aloft. At the surface, which is what ultimately matters, it's been far more consistent with the handling of the paper storm than the GFS has been since Monday AM.

Ok, now look at the GFS for the same period.

Have already done that ..the GFS has NADA to do with what i was trying to get across..

The point I am trying to get across is that the ECM is fallible just like any other model it is not till 48 hrs and under that it would be in its more efficient deadly range..

Have already done that ..the GFS has NADA to do with what i was trying to get across..

The point I am trying to get across is that the ECM is fallible just like any other model it is not till 48 hrs and under that it would be in its more efficient deadly range..

Right. All models get progressively worse the farther out in time you go. The Euro is better than any other model, but sometimes other models "win."

Archived