• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Chicago 2012 Record Watch

Chicago Storm

Eh, half had at around "normal" or better Jan-onward snowfall. Keep in mind the totals I posted in ( ) were January through April, or even May in a case or two.

Anyway, doesn't matter...it doesn't snow at ORD anymore.

By clunkers I'm talking about the final total relative to average. I guess getting near average snow for Jan-Apr would feel good.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By clunkers I'm talking about the final total relative to average. I guess getting near average snow for Jan-Apr would feel good.

Yeah, I guess I'm thinking second half only...ignoring Nov-Dec. But by default, really poor starts are going to be playing from well behind anyway...with respect to overall season totals.

ORD really overachieving today. I think the forecast as recently as yesterday was like 26.

They'll probably add tomorrow to the record, then a more major push of cold air comes in. Forecast here is 18° for a high! - Can't see ORD getting above freezing that day.

These streaks almost seem to take on a life of their own...remember INDs 90 degree streak a couple summers ago that just wouldn't die. It seems like things break in favor of the streak unless the setup is overwhelmingly against it.

Yeah that was kinda stupid. Wasn't there like a three degree intra-hour bump one day to keep the streak alive?

Yeah that was kinda stupid. Wasn't there like a three degree intra-hour bump one day to keep the streak alive?

I believe so. It had been dry around IND which no doubt played a role in maintaining that streak. We are seeing a similar feedback thing with ORD now in terms of lack of snow.

Chicago lies on the northern extent of a swath of snow-free ground. You can really see the impact the snow cover has in areas that have it. Central IL has temps in the 40s, while areas with snow on the ground to the southeast have temps in the 20s.

Or south. Actually the snow cover is closer to the north then the south. About 2" here on the ground.

If it snows tomorrow over central IL then you are just left with no snow cover in NW IN and around the southern 3/4 of the Chicago metro!

NWS was expecting the streak to end as recently as this morning. Here is a clip from the morning AFD:

HIGHS TODAY ACROSS THE ENTIRE FORECAST AREA ARE ONLY EXPECTED TO REACH THE MID TO UPPER 20S WHICH WILL BRING AN END TO THE STRETCH OF 308 DAYS WITH HIGH TEMPERATURES AT OR ABOVE FREEZING FOR THE OFFICIAL CHICAGO OBSERVING STATION. AS EXPLAINED ON OUR WEBSITE...THAT STRETCH TIED BUT DID NOT BREAK A RECORD DATING BACK TO 1878.

Chicago lies on the northern extent of a swath of snow-free ground. You can really see the impact the snow cover has in areas that have it. Central IL has temps in the 40s, while areas with snow on the ground to the southeast have temps in the 20s.

gradienta.jpg

Another look at the warmer temps in the snow hole

OgWDp.jpg

Archived