• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Breaking : X-flare just released. (earth directed)

I read the article hence my response. One thing, to quibble about timing issues when the models used have an error factor of ± 7 hours is nonsensical. As I said, NASA tends to be feitier and more flamboyant in their descriptions of events than SWPC-perhaps it's because they have to be more into PR. Given the uncertainties involving the incoming CME, a more conservative approach is dictated. Also remember that a G2 Gemag is K=6 which covers 3 hour ap values up to 100 which can place visible aurbo into Ohio.

Steve

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another point involves the terminology used for the INTENSITY of a gemag and the CATEGORY as well as the indices used to determine each. As everyone knows a hurricane with an INTENSITY of 100 kt or greater is called a major hurricane but can have a CATEGORY of 3,4,or5. A similar situation exists for gemags. A gemag storm that reaches a maximum 3 hr ap value of 100 or more is referred to as a severe storm. Thus the intensity rating covers a K index value of 6+ to 9+ which high Category 2 through 5 for the gemag event. To add to the confusion, a G2 is a moderate storm, G3 strong, G4 severe, G5 extreme-also SWPC uses a USGS magnetometer network while I use the USAF network which because of more high latitude stations tends to give higher ap/K values while another site I visit uses the data from the Potsdam WDC which has different values still.

Steve

Another point involves the terminology used for the INTENSITY of a gemag and the CATEGORY as well as the indices used to determine each. As everyone knows a hurricane with an INTENSITY of 100 kt or greater is called a major hurricane but can have a CATEGORY of 3,4,or5. A similar situation exists for gemags. A gemag storm that reaches a maximum 3 hr ap value of 100 or more is referred to as a severe storm. Thus the intensity rating covers a K index value of 6+ to 9+ which high Category 2 through 5 for the gemag event. To add to the confusion, a G2 is a moderate storm, G3 strong, G4 severe, G5 extreme-also SWPC uses a USGS magnetometer network while I use the USAF network which because of more high latitude stations tends to give higher ap/K values while another site I visit uses the data from the Potsdam WDC which has different values still.

Steve

So, NOAA is more reliable I am guessing. Based on this thread it appears it was strong, but not extreme. Taking some time to learn about these so thanks for the input. You think any effects will be noticed at all?

So, NOAA is more reliable I am guessing. Based on this thread it appears it was strong, but not extreme. Taking some time to learn about these so thanks for the input. You think any effects will be noticed at all?

Here's where the uncertainty comes in-we won't know the critical information on the CME until it reaches the Spacecraft out at 1 million miles sunward of us or about 40 minutes at best before it reaches us. Actual effects will depend upon the characteristics of the shock front and the following portions of the CME and (most importantly) the polarity of the imbedded magnetic field which needs to have Z (N-S pointing) component that must be negative or southward pointing to have maximum effect. A strong shock front plus a a strong total field and strongly negative Bz could bounce us up to a G4 storm in no time while a positive Bz would barely cause anything. In terms of the flare, it was a strong event but no where near extreme-that label is reserved for the X10+ flares. CMEs are different animals and often bear no direct relationship to flare intensity-in fact many of them come not from flares but from erupting filaments which may have only small X-Ray signatures. The biggest auroral show so far this cycle was a result of a CME from a modest X-Ray event. Of course when it comes to aurorae it's best to have the gemag storm occur at night. Bottom line-there will be some effects but one can only guess at what they will be and given that uncertainty one is bound to have disparate ideas of how strong of an effect.

Steve

Space Weather Message Code: WARK06

Serial Number: 199

Issue Time: 2012 Jul 14 1914 UTC

WARNING: Geomagnetic K-Index of 6 expected

Valid From: 2012 Jul 14 1915 UTC

Valid To: 2012 Jul 14 2359 UTC

Warning Condition: Onset

NOAA Scale: G2 - Moderate

Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 55 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.

Induced Currents - Power grid fluctuations can occur. High-latitude power systems may experience voltage alarms.

Spacecraft - Satellite orientation irregularities may occur; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites is possible.

Radio - HF (high frequency) radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes.

Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as New York to Wisconsin to Washington state.

The HAARP magnetometers are not showing strong flucuations yet, but the Riometer is showing 1-2 dB of absorption at 30MHz which means that Polar and auroral HF propagation is none too good right now-over the pole GPS signal paths may have some problems.

Steve

NOAA Scale: G2 - Moderate

Looks like NOAA is leaning towards NASA.

nam vs. gfs.. ?

:whistle:

the lack of severe wx must be gettin to me..

EDIT : SpaceWeather update -

CME IMPACT: As expected, a CME hit Earth's magnetic field on July 14th at approximately 1800 UT or 11 am Pacific Daylight Time). A geomagnetic storm is brewing in the wake of the impact. At the moment, conditions appear favorable for auroras over high-latitude places such as Canada, Scandinavia, Antarctica and Siberia. It is too early to say whether the storm will intensify and bring auroras to middle latitudes as well. Stay tuned for updates

Archived