Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Mt. Holly Severe Threats

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you should feed this video to the news, at-least the first 40 seconds were really impressive.

nj.com article says homes destroyed as well ?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/homes_destroyed_trees_uprooted.html

mount holly must of been swarmed last night -

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=PA&prodtype=publicI

I cant, its not my video lol Yea alot of houses are destroyed, all from trees falling on them..I will have more picks up in a little..

1.76" here in Sea Isle City NJ within 45 minutes with a strong t-storm. Landis Ave is flooded. I have just installed my webcam both here and at home in East Nantmeal and hope to have them ready shortly

Dennisville, west of you on the mainland got around 3 inches in 45 minutes. Ridiculous.

I cant, its not my video lol Yea alot of houses are destroyed, all from trees falling on them..I will have more picks up in a little..

well, since most of the outlets out there seem to be asleep at the wheel.. I put the clip on our home page.

lemme know if they make a new, shortened clip. (first 40 seconds?) and i'll throw that one up there. Not sure everybody is interested in all the partying and cheering going on when what could of been a tornado is occuring outside. (it was kinda funny though..maybe everybody was drunk? )

Those first 40 seconds are VERY impressive.

watching that storm zoomed in last night...it was 60+ DBZ and did have some rotation when over freehold.

Same with the one just north of Atlantic City during the day.

without any decent wind parameters supporting (models) , I don't blame mount holly for not issuing the tor warning. It could very well been straight-line.

the nj.com article saying homes destroyed I think is a bit overdone... probably just homes damaged from falling trees. miracle noone was seriously hurt.

While residents of Freehold woke up Sunday morning to extensive damage from a late Saturday night storm that looked for all the world like a twister had struck, weather officials have ruled out a tornado and fingered an uncommon supercell storm as responsible for all the damage.

“If it had been a tornado, there would be signs of a defined path and rotation on the ground,” said Kristin Kline, another meteorologist with the National Weather Service. “From all indications we’ve received as far as damage reports and radar, it looks to be straight-line wind damage. When winds descend from a thunderstorm, they hit the ground and travel horizontally outward from that center point.”

Saturday night’s storm brought wind gusts as high as 60 to 65 mph between 10 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. in Monmouth County. That 30-minute span was the most damaging part of the storm, Kline said. Trenton-Mercer Airport registered a gust as high as 63 mph shortly after 9 p.m., she said.

I have seen wind speeds of this before but never that kind of damage(not even close)..

http://www.app.com/article/20120729/NJNEWS/307290039/Officials-supercell-storm-not-tornado

Just about every person I'm seeing on FB and everywhere else, are calling the storm that hit Freehold a derecho. Ugh.

The word Derecho will now become the new Blizzard or Monsoon. My worst Pet Peeve is Monsoon, as all it is a seasonal directional change in the wind, not a friggen rain storm or heavy rain.

The word Derecho will now become the new Blizzard or Monsoon. My worst Pet Peeve is Monsoon, as all it is a seasonal directional change in the wind, not a friggen rain storm or heavy rain.

i dont understand why it would be monsoon, no one in this forum uses monsoon. Unless you read the western thread all the time im having a hard time seeing the correlation.

It was a monsoon in Cape May County today, 3 inches in 45 minutes.

was that near stone harbor? We got moved off the beach around 2pm, the bridge at 96th street got closed (accident?) so we had to drive down to N. Wildwood to get back to the house in CMCH. Looking back you couldn't see Stone Harbor at all. Quite a monsoon indeed!

any word if mount holly's doing an assessment today ? (freehold)

It sounds like they have already made up there mind..

weather officials have ruled out a tornado and fingered an uncommon supercell storm as responsible for all the damage.

“From all indications we’ve received as far as damage reports and radar, it looks to be straight-line wind damage.

Steve D also says downburst

I haven't seen Freehold, NJ (my home town) hit so hard. Looks like downburst wind damage. Not tornadic

http://en.twitter.com/nynjpaweather

was that near stone harbor? We got moved off the beach around 2pm, the bridge at 96th street got closed (accident?) so we had to drive down to N. Wildwood to get back to the house in CMCH. Looking back you couldn't see Stone Harbor at all. Quite a monsoon indeed!

It was reported in Dennisville itself, I think right off Rte 47, unknown exact amount, I just know it was at least 3 inches. Dennisville is due west of there pretty much.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=455337701166300&set=a.298946870138718.84338.256261011073971&type=3&theater

A very nasty 'supercell' like storm moved through Monmouth County last evening producing widespread damage in the Township of Freehold. This image shows that Doppler Velocity signature used to issue the severe thunderstorm warning.

The black circled (warm colors) area are winds moving away from the radar while the white circled (cool colors) area are winds moving towards the radar. The blue arr

ow represents the approximate movement of the storm...to the East-Northeast.

When the winds are shown in the this orientation (with warm and cool colors separated) this is considered 'straight-line' winds. The white pixels, within the larger green area, are winds around 50 knots at an elevation of 1200 feet above the ground...very strong close to the surface. In actuality, since the storm was moving to the east-northeast it passed the radar beam at an angle, therefore we were not fully sampling the magnitude of the winds. This means that, more than likely, the winds actually being experienced at the surface were higher than 50 knots/58mph.

Also please keep in mind that wind speeds in excess of 60mph, either straight-line or tornadic, produce the same kind of damage, it is just the orientation of the damage that is the true indicator

July 2012 tied the record for the most 90's in a month at Philly, correct? (21 @ PHL...if I'm correct, we've set it in three other instances including last July?)

Yepper, just noticed that yesterday, kinda slipped under the radar because it's been significantly "cooler" or less hot in the immediate northern burbs this month. TTN averaging 3.1 degrees cooler and (15) 90 days compared to the PHL for July.

post-1715-0-30303700-1343649028_thumb.jp

Archived