Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should do snow ratios by taking a cylinder of snow and melting it down. But they probably don't. When I was at the Fort Collins CSU weather station, we used a 4" plastic rain gauge and took a chunk of snow off the ground, and melted it by mixing it with hot water. We had to measure the hot water that was poured on it, and then measure the resulting water. We used the inner section of the rain gauge to measure accurately, but the outer section of the rain gauge to take the chunk. I forgot how it worked exactly. 

I think my area got 3.5" + on Sunday, and south Fort Collins got 4.5" to 6.5"

It is now windy and I am seeing a few flakes.

I think the recorded water equivalents at DEN and APA were not accurate on Sunday. DEN got only 0.25" (9" snow) and APA 0.12" (no snow measurement at airport but two readings of 10" within 5 miles) by the CF6 data, and I sure did not shovel 83:1 snow. Does wind/drifting keep it from getting into the can?

There are two issues at work here.

The first is the ASOS precipitation gauges.  There are two precipitation gauges which have been fielded for ASOS.  Many have the older-style Automated Heated Tipping Bucket (AHTB); it is atrocious with snow and particularly windy snow.  APA may have one of those; I'm not sure.  The newer gauge is called the All-Weather Precipitation Accumulation Gauge (AWPAG).  They work better but still suffer from lower totals during wind-blown snow events.  A lesser number of sites have the new gauge because it is more expensive to construct and maintain (and the FAA was not interested in funding the upgrade); however, I'm sure DEN is one of the sites that has an AWPAG. 

The second issue is that snowfall is not measured on-site for many locations; last I checked this was the case at DEN.  Thus, the ASOS can in fact realistically report a lower precipitation amount if more snow actually accumulated at the location where they are now measuring.  Realistically the snow measuring location should be within two miles of the ASOS, while legally I think the limit is 5 miles; however, I've heard of sites which break both rules, unfortunately.  I could not speak as to why; you'd have to ask the local WFO about it.  In any case, precipitation should also be measured at the snow measurement site and substituted for the ASOS measurement if things don't look realistic; obviously that was not done with DEN, at least not yet.  It may be an error by the operational staff; usually someone is assigned specifically to be responsible for such things and correct mistakes, but they may not have been working during or after the event yet.

Pottercty: there were a couple about a year ago but have not heard much.

SciFan: Looking at the powerpoint on the NWS BOU website, they are skeptical. Let's hope something unexpected materializes. Last spring/summer was not much fun. I am told by natives that weather in Denver used to be a lot different, with a reliably green spring. I am starting to wonder if we are in the dry phase of a multi-year cycle. But I don't know anything really.

It rose above 50 here for the first time since February 17th. I guess the last two weeks really have been a cold period of time. The mountains are starting to look pretty brown again.

The models and ensembles are showing a Four Corners low at 7 days and 8 days. I wonder if this will be the next weather maker for Denver.

Yesterday's GFS showed a potential drought-buster in SE CO right where they need it on day 7-9. Today it changes and looks very meh for us with another OK/KS storm in about 6-7 days. At least the mountains are doing better with a lot of bits of fluff each day that add up. 62 here today, 5 degrees warmer than my relatives on the Central FL coast!

Yesterday's GFS showed a potential drought-buster in SE CO right where they need it on day 7-9. Today it changes and looks very meh for us with another OK/KS storm in about 6-7 days. At least the mountains are doing better with a lot of bits of fluff each day that add up. 62 here today, 5 degrees warmer than my relatives on the Central FL coast!

Todays 12z ECMWF shows a pretty large area of precip on the Front Range next Saturday morning. (According to wunderground.com) Looks like 850mb is 0C and the thickness is around 5520m. So this could be a rain/snow event if it happens. One thing is for sure this winter: don't bet on tons of precipitation at 6-7 days. (At least if you are me!) Getting out of the drought will be a long process.

Few bits of snow here in Aurora as well. We have a visitor at work from PA who is very confused, having come yesterday when it was oce and warm... :)

Looks like the 12Z GFS is back to something more substantial on Saturday, like the ECMWF was yesterday, now the ECMWF is less organized with something moving S-N into Nebraska which doesn't make much sense to me.

Few bits of snow here in Aurora as well. We have a visitor at work from PA who is very confused, having come yesterday when it was oce and warm... :)

Looks like the 12Z GFS is back to something more substantial on Saturday, like the ECMWF was yesterday, now the ECMWF is less organized with something moving S-N into Nebraska which doesn't make much sense to me.

Must be someone who just isn't weather savvy, there can be odd twists in the weather there too.

Greetings from the rainy Southeast. After being snow-starved for 2 years (we did receive around 2.5 inches a few weeks ago), I'm heading out to Jackson Hole on Friday through next Wednesday. Anyone want to take a stab at what we might can expect in terms of snow? To my untrained eye, it looks like we might be hitting it at a good time, with some decent snow tonight through Thursday, and then the next storm coming in on Monday. A mix of blue sky and fresh powder is tough to beat. Thanks in advance.

Archived