• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

The ECMWF pulls a Denver blizzard at 192 hours. The way things have been going, I don't think we have enough luck for that.

Yeah I don't think it's been a good winter there this year, but it's something to watch... if it looks really good with 24"+ snows, I'll jump at this.  But pretty unlikely.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The models will continue to show something significant for 2 more days, then diverge wildly for 3 days, then will agree on flurries and temps in the 40s, which is what we'll get. Guaranteed. :devilsmiley:

I just read today's AFD out of Denver and they said as much... you can tell they're a bit frustrated.

The D4-5 storm looked pretty decent on the Euro to me just from SLP/temp maps (for the Wasatch).

Yeah, its looking like a good shot of snow with the front. Probably a 2-4 incher for most with locally higher totals. It looks to stay generally unsettled for some time though with additional passing storms every few days.

There's now a winter storm warning for Denver. I bet downtown Denver could sneak a 5-6" , and other city areas 3-6".  I suppose the winter weather advisory is debatable for the mountains. (They would need at least 6" for an advisory I think.  Or is it 4" ?)

Watch, really, but 6" is possible- interesting. This thing is looking realy large - possibility for 6" or more over about an 800 mile area! Guess it's spring- saw bald eagles, meadowlarks and redwing blackbirds this past weekend in Cherry Creek SP. 

Snow has fallen in downtown Tucson and heavy snow with near blizzard conditions are occurring in Cochise County. The ULL is in SW AZ what happens in CO will depend on its trackis as it swings through NM. It's no a 4 Corners Low though it could swing up that way or track closer to ABQ. Whatever, its potent by AZ standards so could be a biggee further east.

Steve

Snow has fallen in downtown Tucson and heavy snow with near blizzard conditions are occurring in Cochise County. The ULL is in SW AZ what happens in CO will depend on its trackis as it swings through NM. It's no a 4 Corners Low though it could swing up that way or track closer to ABQ. Whatever, its potent by AZ standards so could be a biggee further east.

Steve

A couple nice pictures on the NWS Tucson Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/US.NationalWeatherService.Tucson.gov?ref=ts&fref=ts

First band dropped a nice 2" in the east/south Metro area here... the second looked better further south but looks kind of moth-eaten now that it has rotated up here. Nice blob down around COS that is headed north though.

The radar looks like the ULL is taking a very southerly track so far, bowling its way east from Tucson. Will it turn left, or jump north?

Based upon current track with the low in eastern AZ over the White Mountains, I see a track towards ABQ into the Panhandles. Climo would support this from the current position also. Light snow is ending in Tucson but continues in Nogales and through Cochise County The ULL would really have to jump in order to be over the 4 Corners..

Steve

Hmm, interesting. Concern now for a 4 corners low possibly, with a good bit of wind, in about a day...Sat night into Sunday morning. Uncertainty for sure... NWS has a blizzard watch for 6"+ of snow in Castle Rock (18 miles south of me) and no highlights with a couple inches of snow for me. Discussion has a lot of uncertainty too. Of course, hard to be optimistic given the winter so far, but you never know!

NWS Pueblo just issued Blizzard Warning for Southern Face of Palmer Divide, NWS Alert just went off on cell phone. Also up for Southern CO along NM border: 

I love it when the NWS map looks like a bag of Skittles. Giggity Giggity. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/

NORTHERN EL PASO COUNTY/MONUMENT RIDGE/RAMPART RANGE BELOW7500 FT-INCLUDING...BLACK FOREST...AIR FORCE ACADEMY334 PM MST SAT FEB 23 2013...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 11 PM MST SUNDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PUEBLO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 11 PM MST SUNDAY. THEBLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* LOCATION...NORTHERN EL PASO COUNTY.* CAUSE AND TIMING...A POTENT WINTER STORM SYSTEM WILL INTENSIFY  AS IT MOVES SOUTHWARD THROUGH THE FOUR CORNERS REGION AND INTO  NEW MEXICO ON SUNDAY...AND THEN INTO WESTERN OKLAHOMA BY MONDAY  MORNING. THIS WILL BRING A PERIOD OF HEAVY WIND DRIVEN SNOW TO  THE REGION LATE TONIGHT THROUGH MOST OF SUNDAY.* SNOW ACCUMULATION...5 TO 10 INCHES WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF  EXTENSIVE DRIFTING SNOW.* WIND...NORTH WINDS 20 TO 35 MPH WITH WIND GUSTS TO AROUND 50  MPH AT TIMES.

This was fun early this morning...

KEKO 231236Z AUTO 34030G43KT 1/4SM VCTS +SN FZFG SQ VV011 M03/M03 A2980 RMK AO2 TSB24SNB16 PRESRR P0001 $=

Do you know they have a new GRLevel3 2.10? It allows you to use more of your computer screen to see the radar data.

Looks like the short range models are beefing up the snow totals for the Front Range cities. Denver is over 8" or 10" on this 4km NAM image.  http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NAMSFC4US_12z/snow60.gif

NWS Denver

ALL OF THESE FACTORS ADD UP TO A HIGH POTENTIAL FOR A HEAVY SNOWEVENT. THEY INCLUDE...NEUTRAL STABILITY PROFILES...AVERAGE OF25-30 KTS OF NNE UPSLOPE FLOW...DEEP UPSLOPE COMPONENT WELL ABOVEMOUNTAIN TOP...GOOD MICROPHYSICS WITH LARGE OMEGA THROUGH THEDENDRITIC GROWTH REGION...AND A 12-18 HOUR PERIOD OF MODERATE Q-GVERTICAL MOTION. THIS ALL SUPPORTS THE UPGRADE OF BLIZZARD WATCHESTO WARNING...WINTER STORM WATCHES TO WINTER STORM WARNINGS...ANDMOST OTHER LOCATIONS TO WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES FOR SNOW ANDBLOWING SNOW. THE OVERALL BLENDING USING A MAJORITY OF THE ECMWFWITH A LITTLE BIT OF MESOSCALE/SREF MODELS SUPPORT THE FOLLOWINGAMOUNTS...6-10 INCHES FOR DENVER/BOULDER AREA...8-12 INCHES PALMERDIVIDE...7-14 INCHES FOOTHILLS...AND 4-8 INCHES THROUGH SOUTHERNWELD...MORGAN...TOWARD WASHINGTON/LINCOLN COUNTY.

Nothing yet but radar shows the front/snow right on my doorstep. Then I saw this:

MODEL TRENDS CONTINUE TO BE A LITTLE STRONGER/SLOWER WITH A BIT
MORE SNOW...MAINLY DUE TO THE SNOW ENDING LATER. LATEST RUNS
SUGGEST ANOTHER INCH OR TWO IN THE DENVER AREA SUNDAY
EVENING...WITH SREF ENSEMBLES SUGGESTING 7-14 INCHES ACROSS DENVER
AND SEVERAL MEMBERS OVER 20 INCHES AT KAPA.

I'm 3 miles N of APA so that would be fun.

Edit: just got windy wth snow flurries.

Archived