• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Museum of Science High Impact Weather

radarman

Thought some folks might be interested in this...

http://www.mos.org/e...s/events&d=4953

The Museum of Science is hosting an event called 'High Impact Weather' June 9th and 10th.

The board's own Turtle is the keynote speaker on both days regarding the June 1st Tornado Outbreak. I am presenting on Sunday about the Doppler radar network we are deploying in Dallas/Ft. Worth (and perhaps will add a slide about June 1st as well...) The full agenda is below:

SATURDAY’S Special Presentations

10:30 a.m. “Hurricanes: Science and Society” Richard Yablonsky, University of Rhode Island

Video of Richard’s storm chasing experiences will begin playing at ~10:05 a.m.

11:00 a.m. “Disaster Preparedness” Paul Morey, FEMA

11:30 a.m. RAFFLE for 2 Red Cross Go Bag

“Storm Chasing During Vortex2” Nolan Atkins, Lyndon State College

12:30 p.m. CONTEST #1

1:30 p.m. “Tornado-Resilient Houses or Tornado Shelters?: Solutions for Sustainable

Communities” David Prevatt, University of Florida

2:30 p.m. RAFFLE for 2 Red Cross Go Bag

“June 1, 2011 MA Tornado Experiences & Lessons Learned” Eleanor Vallier-

Talbot, NWS Taunton

3:30 p.m. CONTEST #2

SUNDAY’S Special Presentations

10:30 a.m. “CASA Radar Array, Dallas, TX” Eric Lyons, UMass Amherst

11:00 a.m. “Disaster Preparedness” John Grace, FEMA

11:30 a.m. RAFFLE for Red Cross Go Bags

“June 1, 2011 MA Tornado and the Role of Media” Joe Joyce, WBZ

12:30 p.m. CONTEST #1

1:30 p.m. “June 1, 2011 MA Tornado Experiences & the Role of Skywarn” Carl Aveni,

Skywarn

2:30 p.m. RAFFLE for 2 Red Cross Go Bags

“June 1, 2011 MA Tornado Experiences & Lessons Learned” Eleanor Vallier-

Talbot, NWS Taunton

3:30 p.m. CONTEST #2

The contest puts participants in the radar op's chair with a mystery scenario and makes them issue TORs, SVRs, or nothing, and back it up with reasoning....

(I am jealous, and hope some board member goes and 'represents')

Was looking around the site but couldn't find anything...is there a fee?

Hi Paul!

You do have to pay to enter the Museum. Otherwise, no separate fee for the High Impact Weather Weekend displays and demos.

--Turtle

I volunteered last year and it was really fun. I stood behind a table of radar images and such and just answered questions. Unfortunately I have work this year and won't be able to attend. I know the coordinator for this event so if anybody is interested in volunteering doing what I did last year send me a message I might be able to hook you up.

I volunteered last year and it was really fun. I stood behind a table of radar images and such and just answered questions. Unfortunately I have work this year and won't be able to attend. I know the coordinator for this event so if anybody is interested in volunteering doing what I did last year send me a message I might be able to hook you up.

Do you have to be a met

OK guys...here's the scoop...

There will be 4 of us along with one of our summer interns (recent grad from UMass Lowell about to embark on his masters there) that will be staffing the NWS booth at the Museum of Science this weekend.

Sat... EVT (Turtle!), HF (Hayden here) and Lance Franck

Sun...GAF, WTB (BillB here) and HF (Hayden)

Since I will not be there on Sunday, one of the guys will be doing the presentation during the afternoon.

The High Impact Weather Weekend will run each day from 10 AM to 4 PM, but the museum opens at 9 AM each day. There is a parking garage attached to the Museum (take this into account, $$ wise).

Here's the link for admission, and down the bottom of the page is a link with info on parking:

http://www.mos.org/v..._info/admission

Hope to see some of you weenies there!!

--Turtle

Archived