• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
My Summer Outlook 2012

nicely done. you have any estimate on cyclone numbers?

Thanks. My guess for named storms is around 8-10, quite a bit below avg compared to the past decade. Tropical atlantic SST's are very cool right now, with the warmest SST's hugging the East Coast and Gulf Coast. Additionally, Nino conditions by late summer may increase wind shear in the tropics, further inhibiting cyclone growth. Also, forecast models generally indicate an abscence of upward motion in the deep tropics. I expect most of the named storms may develop in the Gulf of Mexico, or within 500-800 miles of the coastline. I'd probably place the SE US at greatest risk.

i see. you and roger smith are far apart. i will be happy with meeting in the middle, lol. you think we will see several more beryls? this occuring in august could be alot stronger than beryl is today.

Thanks guys!

Good luck...sounds like a 1969 type Summer coming up...June and August had temperatures above normal and July below...Precipitation was above average...

Good point Uncle. '69 does appear to be similar in positioning of anomalies. However I'd be surprised if we saw this level of cold across North America. Much different time climatically. Very cold Atlantic and Pacific.

The resultant JJA should be much warmer than this IMO

29cngb7.jpg

1969 was VERY cold here in June with 11 days only in the 50s for highs. Seriously doubt that happening this year.

You're only saying that cause you want sweltering 100+ degrees and torches all of the time...

And regarding 1969, what Josh would give to see Camille round two (in terms of wind speeds primarily, considering big ole' Katrina outdid it in virtually every other category).

• 3 months later...

Verification of my summer 2012 forecast..

Actual temp departures, taking an average of the 4 NYC stations — Newark, Central Park, LGA, and JFK.

Actual June: +0.2 Forecasted June: +1 to +2 Grade: B

Actual July: +2.8 Forecasted July: 0 to -1 Grade: D

Actual August: +1.9 Forecasted August: +1 to +2 Grade: A

Actual JJA: + 1.6 Forecasted JJA: 0 to +1

Grade for summer JJA temps in NYC: B

Precip was generally above normal from NYC north, east, and south, and below to the west. Grade: B

US temp and precip departure maps for JJA — I thought the positioning of precip and temp above/below anomalies worked out quite well compared to the forecast:

SUMMER – June-July-August – TEMPS:

SUMMER.png

SUMMER PRECIP:

SUMMER-PRECIP.png

cd153_104_186_96_128_11_31_59_prcp.png

sffsdfsd.png

You did well in some areas and others not so much like my area in northern MN. Its tough to forecast long term though so I am not expecting perfection. I am sure you will improve with time.

Thanks. Yeah I missed your area in the Upper MW - thought there would be a higher frequency of cool shots, but the ridge remained strong up into sern Canada. I probably should have put a slight cool anomaly in Florida due to the excessive wetness. Other than that, I'm happy with the rest of the country and the Northeast which was my focus.

Wow, darned good call, and something NYC subforum is blessed with daily from not only Isotherm, but a Yankee's type line-up of non-red tag talent. Looking fwd to Nov wintercast

Thanks for the kind words! I've learned quite a bit from last winter's mistakes, so hopefully this year will prove to be a better forecast.

Archived