Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Tuesday May 15th storm

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite as exciting in Spring Mount as some other areas, but picked up ~0.75" of rain with the thunderstorm last night. Had constant lightning/thunder for a little over 2 hours. Height of the storm was between 10:45 and 11:15 PM - with frequent bright lightning and loud thunder. Was right near the northern edge of the storm that nailed the Collegeville / King of Prussia area.

Nice storm here. Some close CG strikes and about 1.1" in 30 minutes.Haven't seen rain that heavy for a while. Looks like there are also some more cells firing up to my west.

Unbelievable man. Insane amount of rain in such a short time. I ventured out to the Wawa right up by the White Dog Cafe mid-storm and there was, no lie, at least 4 feet of water going into the Wawa parking lot. Two cars were flooded. The drainage in Wayne is absolutely terrible. The whole city floods so easily.

Just to clarify, I do believe it was a fire police volunteer. Same field, different responsibilities. While they (fire police) don't fight the actual fire hands on, they do play an important part of the overall firefight. They protect the fellow brothers and sisters from traffic, a very dangerous aspect of firefighters being on the road. Everyone is in a rush these days, and can't tell you how many firefighters (career and volunteer) have been struck,injured and/or killed. The number would be undoubtedly higher without the help of fire police.

That being said, God bless his soul.

Oops. Misread the post due to being tired from night shift and not feeling that well. Anyway, you are right. The fire police play an equally important role during an event, be it a structure fire, accident or other incident.

After the wild night last night looks like the boundary is finally exiting pa and move into and through NJ thanks to a push from the cold front that is coming this evening. Interestingly enough instability has skyrocketed with cape around 2000 for most of us. additionally we have more in the way of vertical shear setting up today compered yesterday at this time However it is not enough for a well defined organized line just yet. which is why the models and spc have no severe weather outbreak for this evening but it is worth noting bulk effective shear is increasing out ahead of the front and should spread our way this evening so Isolated severe storms can not be ruled out mainly north and west. Main threats today would be bowing segments with a decent trough like this.

Unbelievable man. Insane amount of rain in such a short time. I ventured out to the Wawa right up by the White Dog Cafe mid-storm and there was, no lie, at least 4 feet of water going into the Wawa parking lot. Two cars were flooded. The drainage in Wayne is absolutely terrible. The whole city floods so easily.

Yeah, It does flood really easily. In front of the movie theater to St. Davids always gets really bad. Last night they had several cars drive into the normal flooding spot in front of the new Landmark Americana on Lancaster Ave.

A link from the fire company I used to volunteer with:

http://berwynfireco.org/apps/public/news/newsView.cfm?News_ID=238

Gotta cut me some slack, having a bad start on filming. I have been good for a long time.

Why? There's been what, 3 storm events around here so far this season? You've gotten 2 of them. Some of us in this subforum haven't seen jack so far this season. Last night, I didn't even see a drop out of this event, but do I fly off the handle, how I got shafted? Nope. Especially with a great storm just to your west, and more firing to your south moving at you. It's like you completely ignored what was being shown on radar, to complain. Come on man.

Why? There's been what, 3 storm events around here so far this season? You've gotten 2 of them. Some of us in this subforum haven't seen jack so far this season. Last night, I didn't even see a drop out of this event, but do I fly off the handle, how I got shafted? Nope. Especially with a great storm just to your west, and more firing to your south moving at you. It's like you completely ignored what was being shown on radar, to complain. Come on man.

word.jpeg

Yup, anywhere in SE PA had a chance last night based on the way the radar lit up around 9pm.

Line of showers and storms now developing along a front associated with a strong trough in west and central pa. Instability did weaken some earlier but will redevelop with an enhancement of moisture from the south. It is looking like surface based and elevated instability cape value will increase to 1500-2000 additionally if model forecast are right we will see bulk effective shear increase to 35 kts after 8pm. This event will not be as bad as last night rain wise but heavy rain fall will occur with storms. Not everyone will see a severe storm but there will be Isolated severe storms along the front and a few line segments.

Not expecting a full line due to slightly weaker vertical shear now however if it were to increase we could see a more organized threat then expected. I do think the chances of a more organized watch worthy threat is low right now but stay tuned on that aspect. 1 final wild card for storms will be how strong of a cool pool we can get to develop behind the storms if stronger the threat of hail and wind would be enhance due to greater updrafts and downdrafts.

MAIN THREATS: will be strong gusty winds up to 65 mph and pea sized hail storms will move through the area between 9 and midnight. Best chance right now is the NJTPK on west east of the NJTPK there will be less support for storms this evening.

nam might of saw it first but he deserves credit for his analysis and what not

I agree his analysis on Tuesday was good...but it's not like the models weren't hinting at it until day of...it had been out there for a couple of days on the NAM and even the EC.

Okay so this is the video I took the other night. Ignore my girlfriend flipping out lol. I know it was pretty dark but there are a few scenes where you can see the flooding.

And just to clarify, there are no rivers near this Wawa. This was all from just the rain.

Wow, that's impressive. I am at that Wawa all the time and have never seen anything like that.

Archived