• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Weather Oldies but Goodies

#NoPoles

Can't say I remember that, but I remember these weather card thingys that had a weather indicator on them. I believe they were Dick Albert's, I'm pretty sure of it. There's an outside chance it could've been Harvey Leonard's? It's kind of hard to describe it, but it had a dot that would change colors if it was raining. It was based on the relative humidity I'm sure. I think if it was dry it would be pink, and if it was wet, it would be purple.

I remember my grandmother calling the station and having it sent to my address in Connecticut. Even though I wasn't in the Boston market, I still saw Dick Albert whenever I was in the Boston area and always respected him. I thought the card was a unique thing for a TV met to have. I wish I had saved it. I'm not sure anyone else will know what the heck I'm taling about.

Can't say I remember that, but I remember these weather card thingys that had a weather indicator on them. I believe they were Dick Albert's, I'm pretty sure of it. There's an outside chance it could've been Harvey Leonard's? It's kind of hard to describe it, but it had a dot that would change colors if it was raining. It was based on the relative humidity I'm sure. I think if it was dry it would be pink, and if it was wet, it would be purple.

I remember my grandmother calling the station and having it sent to my address in Connecticut. Even though I wasn't in the Boston market, I still saw Dick Albert whenever I was in the Boston area and always respected him. I thought the card was a unique thing for a TV met to have. I wish I had saved it. I'm not sure anyone else will know what the heck I'm taling about.

He gave out little white postcards that featured a caracicture of him in a suit with a flower in his lapel. The center of the flower would turn color: blue when it was dry, red when the humidity was high. And then there was some rhyme to go along with it.

anyone growing up viewing the Boston TV market remember this?

I grew up farther south, and each year (early 1960s) anticipted when Tex Antoine's "Uncle Wethbee Weather Almanac" would become available. I've still got several, but unfortuntely cannot find the one for 1961, unfortunate because it contained all the old records - daily high/low/rain/snow - for Battery Place. They're interesting to compare to the Central Park numbers, and I've been unable to find these records earlier that 1948 (they go back to 1871) on the Utah Climate Center site.

He gave out little white postcards that featured a caracicture of him in a suit with a flower in his lapel. The center of the flower would turn color: blue when it was dry, red when the humidity was high. And then there was some rhyme to go along with it.

Yes, that's exactly what it was. I guess someone actually knew what I was talking about. :sun:

A true oldie but goodie - Dick Albert narrates a tribute to the late great Don Kent. As a kid I used to love hearing him on the radio and on Ch 4 in Boston.

https://www.youtube....E3A46792E1C1268

Very nice. My screen name is in honor of good ol' Don. Remember when WBZ TV used to call any storm of significance a "Shelby Scott"? I remember her being soaked and/or buried on camera more than once. Silly but interesting memories nonetheless.

Archived