• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Detroit, Milwaukee, and Chicago Tornado History

Hoosier

A while back I began a project to locate all known tornado occurrences in the city of Detroit and 2 other major cities.  I searched through several sources including AMS Journals, Storm Data (now free!), Significant Tornadoes, various NWS pages and even some newspaper archives.  I think I have located a majority of events that were actually documented but of course can't do anything about what wasn't documented.  Each time that a tornadic event was identified, an attempt was made to find additional information from other sources.  In many cases this was possible but in some it was not.  

Instead of rambling, I will cut to the chase.  Here are the known tornadoes to strike Detroit and their approximate paths.  In cases where only a touchdown location (but no liftoff location) and path length were given, the path direction was approximated based on wind profiles from the nearest RAOB sounding from that day.  Note that this map only includes tornadoes that touched down within the city limits or moved into the city.  The red outline represents the city.

In all, I was able to find 12 occurrences in Detroit.  There were a few close misses, one of which is listed below.

post-14-0-96618600-1331273705.png

June 27, 1875

2 fatalities

Touchdown occurred at Williams and Ash.

November 12, 1879

0 fatalities

Damage began near 5th and Warren.  Exact length unknown.

June 17, 1946

15 fatalites (all in Canada)

Touchdown around Melvindale, passing through extreme southern Detroit before crossing into Canada.

June 27, 1946

0 fatalities

Moved N, then NNW from Windsor to just northeast of downtown Detroit.  Path length in Detroit was short.

May 31, 1954

0 fatalities

Touchdown in eastern Detroit.

May 12, 1956

0 fatalities

Passed into the northwest side of Detroit.

November 20, 1957

1 fatality

Moved ENE in NE Detroit from around Mt. Elliott to north of City Airport.

June 26, 1973

0 fatalities

Small area of twisted-off tree tops and minor damage to homes near intersection of Lafayette and Dragoon.

April 3, 1974

8 fatalities (all in Canada)

Likely a tornado family.  Storm Data lists brief touchdown in Detroit near Harding and St. Clair Streets.

August 30, 1984

0 fatalities

Skipping path from near Stark and Industrial in Livonia to I-96 and Evergreen in northwest Detroit.  

August 2, 1986

0 fatalities

Touched down near I-96, overturning 2 cars and damaging an abandoned vehicle.  Exact location unknown.

July 2, 1997

0 fatalities

Tornado tracked through Detroit, Highland Park and Hamtramck.

Note:  another tornado touched down on August 1, 1973, but the touchdown occurred in the Detroit River just south of Belle Isle before passing into Canada.   I did not include this one on the list.

As mentioned, I also have info for 2 other cities, which I will post in this thread in the coming days.

A couple things to note, combine this with the lack of a significant tornado in over 35 years in the tri-county area plus the fact that it has been almost 15 years since a tornado has touched down in the city, one would tend to draw the conclusion that Metro Detroit is overdue. I know that there truly is no such thing as overdue in meteorology, but this is an example where one could argue a place being overdue for a meteorological phenomena.

A couple things to note, combine this with the lack of a significant tornado in over 35 years in the tri-county area plus the fact that it has been almost 15 years since a tornado has touched down in the city, one would tend to draw the conclusion that Metro Detroit is overdue. I know that there truly is no such thing as overdue in meteorology, but this is an example where one could argue a place being overdue for a meteorological phenomena.

:drunk:

Most of Detroit got off really lucky on 4/11/65 as well.

Ive seen two in the past two years at home, both west and east of our front door. I have seen damage mostly minor from both but nothing like the one in Harrow/Leaminton two years ago. That one was so destructive they are still cleaning up the mess.

IMO EC has done a terrible job in predictions of tornatic activity. I remember the last one at home watching the front cross from Michigan where watches and warning posted everywhere. 15 min after the front passes us then EC posts a warning..... Thanks EC

Ive seen two in the past two years at home, both west and east of our front door. I have seen damage mostly minor from both but nothing like the one in Harrow/Leaminton two years ago. That one was so destructive they are still cleaning up the mess.

IMO EC has done a terrible job in predictions of tornatic activity. I remember the last one at home watching the front cross from Michigan where watches and warning posted everywhere. 15 min after the front passes us then EC posts a warning..... Thanks EC

Was that summer 2010 when the NWS tornado warned supercell moved into Essex County without a warning?

<p><p>

Good stuff --- how close did the May 2,1983 tornado (an F3) get to Detroit?

I know that tornado went through Eastpointe and Saint Clair Shores (and across the lake to Harsens Island) ... I thought that it first touched down in Detroit proper, but evidently not?

That's one of the close ones.  Multiple sources have it as touching down just north of the Wayne co border (around David and Ash).

Was that summer 2010 when the NWS tornado warned supercell moved into Essex County without a warning?

Yes, I think that was the one. The cell dropped a very small one just 5 miles from home and caused dammage to a few outbuildings. The line of the tornado was a direct hit with our house if it was to continue. All we got luckilly was some hail damage.

Seems our comminity of Gesto where we live is the hot spot for tornatic activity in Essex county. It is the hub of the county which is surrounded by water. Lakes Erie, St. Clair and the Detroit river.

Good stuff --- how close did the May 2,1983 tornado (an F3) get to Detroit?

I know that tornado went through Eastpointe and Saint Clair Shores (and across the lake to Harsens Island) ... I thought that it first touched down in Detroit proper, but evidently not?

Touched down about 5 blocks from where I currently live in Eastpointe. Started between Gratiot and Kelly, South of 9 Mile. Moved NE, hitting Jefferson Beach marina, crossed the lake and hit Harsens Island. My grandparents have several pictures from Harsens Island of damage (they had a cottage, now home, on the NE side of the Island). The tornado hit the far SE end of the Island particularly badly at the time there were a large number of mansions that were hit very badly some beyond repair. Next time I am at my grandparents I will get some pictures scanned and uploaded on here.

Next up, Milwaukee.

post-14-0-20184400-1331403748.png

August 7, 1958

0 fatalities

Northern Milwaukee. Exact location unknown.

September 26, 1959

0 fatalities

Skipped NE at the south edge of Greenfield to west of Mitchell Airport. There were three brief touchdowns

September 3, 1964

0 fatalities

Short path over Timmerman Airport.

August 25, 1975

0 fatalities

Touched down briefly in downtown Milwaukee at 1715 West Canal Street.

August 25, 1975

0 fatalities

Occurred nearly simultaneously with the event above. Touchdown occurred at 20th and Oklahoma.

August 4,1977

0 fatalities

Touched down briefly at 38th and Hadley and also on North 76th Street. Plotted as skipping path.

August 4, 1980

0 fatalities

Touched down at 9363 North 76th Street

August 17, 1985

0 fatalities

Touched down in Waukesha county and moved east-southeast across Merton, Lisbon and Menomonee Falls before lifting in northwest Milwaukee near 106th and Mill Road.

May 24, 1989

0 fatalities

Northwest side of Milwaukee. Exact location unknown.

March 8, 2000

0 fatalities

Developed over Mitchell Airport before moving over Cudahy and St. Francis.

Notes:

Possible tornado occurred on or around October 15, 1870, but details are lacking.

The April 2, 1977 Wauwatosa tornado apparently just missed the Milwaukee city limits. Not enough confidence to include on list.

cool stuff. Locally a huge tornado tore through my area in May 1956 and also June 1946....but I have NEVER been in/near a tornado.

I found another one that went through Wyandotte when I was going through the Detroit data. I think it was about 30 years ago.

Ive heard stories about a big derecho or something that went through this area in I think 1980? The greenest sky ever seen per many accounts, I dont know if there was a tornado though.

here's a nice writeup on that event

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/stories/1980derecho.php

"several observers remarked about the horrid dark green color the sky took on as the squall moved overhead. In fact, numerous people over the years have commented about the "dark pea green sky" that accompanied the July 16th 1980 storm."

And I'm not sure how accurate this report is but...holy cow.

"Intense downburst developed just west of Ann Arbor. Path of the most intense damage across southern Ann Arbor then eastward through the Downriver suburbs of Detroit. Winds estimated up to 100 mph in Washtenaw county, up to 150 mph in Wayne County. Innumerable buildings, vehicles and trees destroyed in eastern Washtenaw, central and southern Wayne, and northeastern Monroe counties. Several boats were swamped on the Detroit River. Power off in some areas up to ten days."

Here's something about a tornado:

"Railroad cars blown off track in both directions in Allen Park. Department store roof blown sideways in Lincoln Park. Funnel sighted over Detroit River from Canadian shore. Tornado damage included in, and hardly distinguishable from large area of straight line wind damage. Funnel continued eastward several more miles into Canada".

I think this storm entered Canada near La Salle. From what I can remember I was in the car with my mom driving home with the wildest green sky. When we got home I recall the reports of tornadoes. I was only 8 but that green is durnt into my brain 32 years later.....

And finally, Chicago

post-14-0-03884100-1331696958.png

I was able to find about 16 strikes in some portion of the city but there were a few that were very close to the edge of the city limits (either in or out) and confidence was not high enough to include all of those. In the event of a track discrepancy, I leaned on Dr. Fujita's map of Chicago metro tornadoes.

May 22, 1855

3 fatalities

A tornado moved to the SE, and touched down briefly just east of Norwood Park.

May 6, 1876

2 fatalities

The tornado moved northeast on a 4 mile path through downtown Chicago. Some astute observations from a Chicago Tribune reporter strongly suggest that this was a multiple vortex tornado as it moved out into Lake Michigan.

May 25, 1896

0 fatalities

Moved east through the far northern side of Chicago. The tornado passed through the Edison Park and Norwood Park areas.

March 28, 1920

20 fatalites (6 in Chicago)

Likely a tornado family. Damage increased in intensity from Bellwood/Maywood and northeastward. 6 people were killed in the Dunning section of Chicago.

March 28, 1920

0 fatalities

Touched down in Bridgeview near West 79th and Harlem and moved northeast, lifting about 4 miles WSW of the Loop near Lexington Avenue.

April 7, 1929

0 fatalities

Touched down on the south side. Path was short and very narrow.

August 30, 1958

0 fatalities

Touched down on the south side.

September 26, 1959

0 fatalities

Touched down near O'Hare, clipping the far northwest side.

March 4, 1961

1 fatality

Touched down near 91st and Hoyne and exited into Lake Michigan near 68th Street. Over 600 buildings sustained heavy damage. Clocks stopped at 5:12 PM in the area of heaviest damage between 72nd and 74th Streets. A car with an occupant was picked up and thrown 1/2 a block.

May 26, 1965

0 fatalities

Skipped ENE from 4 miles NW of Wheaton to O’Hare. About 30 cars parked in the O’Hare parking lot were damaged, some overturned and piled together.

April 21, 1967

0 fatalities

Touched down briefly on the far north side near Lincoln and McCormick.

April 21, 1967

33 fatalities (1 in Chicago)

The Oak Lawn tornado. Touched down in Palos Hills and moved through the south side of Chicago to Lake Michigan near 79th Street.

April 30, 1970

0 fatalities

Some uncertainty on the exact path but Storm Data and Fujita have it on the northwest side of Chicago.

August 25, 1972

0 fatalities

Again some uncertainty on exact path. There was a large area of strong straight line winds with an embedded tornado. Tornado damage occurred in southeast Park Ridge and likely on the far northwest side of Chicago at the O'Hare Marriott Hotel near Higgins and Cumberland where cars were overturned.

March 12, 1976

2 fatalities (0 in Chicago)

Touched down in Northlake and tracked northeastward.

September 22, 2006

0 fatalities

Touched down on the campus of Loyola University near Sheridan and Devon just prior to moving offshore.

Notes:

-There was a possible tornado on June 13, 1892 but not enough evidence to include on the list.

-A tornado on September 21, 1959 is listed as tracking through nearby Park Ridge. Although it's conceivable that it could've clipped part of Chicago, it was not included.

re: Chicago

Granted, we are looking at a fairly small geographic area, but there are some interesting patterns. The northwest side of the city has been a hot zone. If we only look at tornado occurrences since 1921, a fairly sizable chunk of Chicago (roughly central 1/3rd) hasn't recorded any touchdowns. Fujita, who obviously had particular interest in the Chicago area, noted this and felt that the urban heat island in a city >1 million may tend to dissipate weak tornadoes or deter weak ones from forming. He was actually able to simulate some of the urban heat island effects in the lab. He went on to say that Chicago should not assume it is safe, especially from a major tornado strike as any manmade factors would not be enough to stop a stronger one.

Archived