Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Quake - Mag 2.4 Centered in Far SE Wisconsin

kevlon62

us2004kgad_ciim.jpg

Interesting. Looks like it was felt pretty good here in Erie. I was living in the QC at the time.

The New Madrid has been "due" to go for a long time now. No one knows when it will finally go but when it does it's sure to be huge. Could be another 300yrs for all we know, or it could be tomorrow. Forecasting earthquakes is about as accurate as forecasting the weather with the new version of the NAM.

Interesting.  Looks like it was felt pretty good here in Erie.  I was living in the QC at the time.

The New Madrid has been "due" to go for a long time now.  No one knows when it will finally go but when it does it's sure to be huge.  Could be another 300yrs for all we know, or it could be tomorrow.  Forecasting earthquakes is about as accurate as forecasting the weather with the new version of the NAM.

Some research has suggested that New Madrid may be dormant but you know how earthquake prediction goes.  Besides New Madrid, there is another seismic zone farther northeast in southern IL/IN that has produced pretty large quakes in the past, perhaps in the 6.0-7.5 range, but they were mostly several thousand years ago.  That area has had multiple quakes in the 4-5 range in the past several years...whether it means anything who knows.

JoMo might remember this. In the early 90's when I was just a wee lad, there was a guy who was predicting the large New Madrid quake was imminent. I rememember spending Kindergarten and 1st grade time doing "earthquake drills". Quite a few people in the area were freaked out.

Cyclone I remember that earthquake in the 80s you are talking about. I was a little kid out playing in the backyard at our house in Milan, IL. All of a sudden the rumble noise happened, the ground started wobbling, and it was over. That one was a good shake as I recall as the ground was really vibrating, moving, etc. I went in the house and some dishes rattled out of the cupboards onto the floor and my parents said we had just had an earthquake- as it was it was the shock rippling out from the one centered in Lawrenceville IL as you pointed out.

Lots of people were spooked by that and a lot of so called "experts" were saying New Madrid was getting ready to go. All of a sudden as I recall (tough beings as I was a kid and don't remember everything to well) earthquake insurance was getting pushed hardcore on home and business owners.

I've felt a lot of the recent ones over the past few years, there were a couple in 2004, 2007, 2008, 2011, and probably a few others I'm missing. Sure does seem like Northern Illinois has been much more active for whatever reason these last handfull of years.

USGS revised location overnight. Now centered on/near east side of McHenry, IL. Had been driving right there about 90 minutes before.

http://m.google.com/u/m/xfRYuC

I wonder if any fissures or bubbling are happening in that corn field? :)

It would be something to be right over such an event, I remember the Tribune interviewing the landowner who had that 2010 DeKalb area quake in their backyard. They didn't relay anything noteworthy but it would be a novelty nonetheless.

JoMo might remember this. In the early 90's when I was just a wee lad, there was a guy who was predicting the large New Madrid quake was imminent. I rememember spending Kindergarten and 1st grade time doing "earthquake drills". Quite a few people in the area were freaked out.

We did earthquake drills when I was in elementary school in the 1980's.

Seems like there's a weak fault right through Madison. Must have something to do with this area being the edge of the driftless region.

That line on the map going to Madison isn't a fault just a pointing line. But there is a fault south of Madison.

I think this earthquake might have been correlated to the Waukesha Fault that stretches from Ozaukee County down into McHenry County. This earthquake wasn't on the fault, but there could have come from a ancient buried fault or possibly with ground rebounding from the last ice age still, the upward movement of the crust maybe have let some energy loose.

This document explains and shows the nature of faults in N IL and S WI. Maps between P. 19-32.

http://wisconsingeol...WOFR2005-05.pdf

That line on the map going to Madison isn't a fault just a pointing line. But there is a fault south of Madison.

I think this earthquake might have been correlated to the Waukesha Fault that stretches from Ozaukee County down into McHenry County. This earthquake wasn't on the fault, but there could have come from a ancient buried fault or possibly with ground rebounding from the last ice age still, the upward movement of the crust maybe have let some energy loose.

This document explains and shows the nature of faults in N IL and S WI. Maps between P. 19-32.

http://wisconsingeol...WOFR2005-05.pdf

Nice link. I was talking about the 3 earthquakes that make a line through Madison btw. In that paper it showed a fault right on the edge of the driftless region, which goes directly through Madison.

Nice link. I was talking about the 3 earthquakes that make a line through Madison btw. In that paper it showed a fault right on the edge of the driftless region, which goes directly through Madison.

Ok got it.

My one professor was the first to do geomagnetic research on the Waukesha Fault. Interestingly it has moved since the glacial material was laid down by about 2 feet.

Archived