Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
25th Anniversary of Double Whammy

RodneyS

What I remember was three things:

1. Trying to get into DC from Vienna Thursday morning around 8:30 in a rear wheel drive car and hearing that DC had just received its first inch of snow. I had driven all of a few miles, reaching where I-66 hits route 7 before I turned around and drove home.

2. Bill Kamal on some none-CP weatherline calling for the second storm as early as late Friday or early Saturday and wondering why the NWS was not issuing watches or warnings.

3. Having been in my house just about a year, waking up Monday morning as water started to drip thru the ceilings. Two days later we had three levels of soaked carpeting, extensive ceiling damage, etc. I learned (but not well) all about ice damming because in 96 it was much worst when our kitchen ceiling collapsed.

What I remember was three things:

1. Trying to get into DC from Vienna Thursday morning around 8:30 in a rear wheel drive car and hearing that DC had just received its first inch of snow. I had driven all of a few miles, reaching where I-66 hits route 7 before I turned around and drove home.

2. Bill Kamal on some none-CP weatherline calling for the second storm as early as late Friday or early Saturday and wondering why the NWS was not issuing watches or warnings.

3. Having been in my house just about a year, waking up Monday morning as water started to drip thru the ceilings. Two days later we had three levels of soaked carpeting, extensive ceiling damage, etc. I learned (but not well) all about ice damming because in 96 it was much worst when our kitchen ceiling collapsed.

I was living in a brand-new townhouse in Franconia and also experienced the ice damming. The damage was not extensive, but it was not fun. However, the two storms so close together were worth it. I received about a foot from each storm. During the first storm, it took me 4 hours to drive home from Old Town Alexandria due to all the idiots who could not drive in snow.

I had just started as a Washington Post paperboy earlier that fall and I remember on the morning of the second storm, the roads were so bad that the distribution truck just dumped the 100 newspapers at the intersection of the main road near my neighborhood instead of neatly on my driveway per usual. I forget how I figured out where they were, but I remember I took a sled up to where the papers were, piled them in the sled, and sledded them back to my house to put them in the plastic bags. I also remember trudging through the deep snow delivering those things and was worried that people would complain about their papers being late, since it took me an extra hour to deliver. Actually, though, when I went door-to-door to collect people's money later that month, I got compliment after compliment regarding how reliable I was despite the weather. I got massive tips and became a neighborhood legend. My parents still live in that neighborhood and when the neighbors see me when I visit, they still mention how great of a paperboy I was, in large part because of that particular week!

Great story!

The feedback from Wes is awesome-- I was 14 and this is a HUGE memory to me. Hearing his behind the scense stuff is like having access to a championship team's coach for insight.

Agree completely.

I was going to school in California and my long-time mentor (Dr. Don Miller from Cal State in Fresno) picked this storm to discuss east coast snow storms to the class that was largely uninterested since their holy grail is the pineapple express into the Sierra's. I still remember hearing Dr. Miller say 4 or 5 days before the storm, "the trick is which shortwave to key into. Which one, which one, really tricky..."

What helped make the first storm so magical (if you weren't stuck on the road for it) was that it had been 4 years since the previous 10"+ (even 8"+) snowstorm. For the 8" threshold in the suburbs, that's a pretty long time. On top of that, it ended up being a positive bust- slightly exceeding even the highest forecasts (Wes's) as pointed out in this thread. We ended up with around 13". I grew up in the 80's and 90's, a stretch where any 10"+ snowstorm was automatically "one of the bests."

What helped make the first storm so magical (if you weren't stuck on the road for it) was that it had been 4 years since the previous 10"+ (even 8"+) snowstorm. For the 8" threshold in the suburbs, that's a pretty long time. On top of that, it ended up being a positive bust- slightly exceeding even the highest forecasts (Wes's) as pointed out in this thread. We ended up with around 13". I grew up in the 80's and 90's, a stretch where any 10"+ snowstorm was automatically "one of the bests."

That storm was neat except it caused lots of tree damage in mby, it toppled a couple of pine trees and part of a really pretty birch tree.

Archived