• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium Range Thread

tombo82685

I wouldn't say that. I mean, Week 1 is Feb 6-12, which is going to be bookended by torches, but there should still be a period around the 8-10th where we could luckbox something. It's not terribly likely, but not impossible, either.

That's quite a flip from Monday. I'm guessing its MJO is taking a big dive into the COD.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, it looks like we got the ying and yang solutions three days apart.

I'm trying not to be warm biased, but I have a real hard time believing the GEFS solution since the pattern seems to be driven entirely by the tropics right now and the GEFS convective/radiation scheme is patently awful.

I'm trying not to be warm biased, but I have a real hard time believing the GEFS solution since the pattern seems to be driven entirely by the tropics right now and the GEFS convective/radiation scheme is patently awful.

I agree with you, there have been some mjo projection rocks this winter pulled by the gfs, but the discontinuity in the short term the way the Euro just drops the convection like a hot potato doesn't seem right either. Thankfully I don't get paid for that part of the forecast or else I might have to give them money.

I agree with you, there have been some mjo projection rocks this winter pulled by the gfs, but the discontinuity in the short term the way the Euro just drops the convection like a hot potato doesn't seem right either. Thankfully I don't get paid for that part of the forecast or else I might have to give them money.

Yeah, it's not either/or. Just because I think the GEFS is totally wrong in the mid range doesn't mean I believe the Euro solution is absolutely correct, either. Of concern to cold lovers, though, is that the Canadian ensemble is much more similar to the Euro.

Yeah, it's not either/or. Just because I think the GEFS is totally wrong in the mid range doesn't mean I believe the Euro solution is absolutely correct, either. Of concern to cold lovers, though, is that the Canadian ensemble is much more similar to the Euro.

Oh I agree and I hope no one thinks I think either is absolutely correct.

Pictorially I wanted to show what Adam and I were posting about. There was an excellent discussion about this in the main section. i'm under the assumption (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that this is the tropical olr observation/outlook for both the northern and southern hemisphere. Phil (main section) had a satellite photo that alot of the convection is south of the equator near the dateline. Could the discontinuity in the Euro, be because of a jump north and even if the GFS is right about a mondo phase 7 mjo, if most of the convection is south of the equator, would its effect in our hemisphere be more muted?

Its GFS first, then the Euro

post-623-0-94458800-1328272653.gif

post-623-0-39699900-1328272664.gif

Tony, I don't think those maps are explicitly explained anywhere, but my assumption is that they are OLR anomalies from 7.5S-7.5N

Adam,

I was thinking that it might have been 5N to 5S. I was hoping you'd reply. Maybe Wes knows. Regardless, the discontinuity on those progs could have as much to do with geography as it does with the convection itself. That was the extremely long winded point about how off the Euro outlook "looks" with the near dateline convection just after initialization time.

Can I tell you what I expect from the next four weeks in mid March? ;)

^ it's about the 5th time that damn model has shown "nasty" or "vile" cold in the East in the Day 8-10 range this winter...and by the time reality hits we're running a -4 at 850 instead of -24.

I'll believe it when it's "vile" inside 3 days.

qoute from HM in medium range weather discussion..........fwiw

You can analyze every cluster of thunderstorms all you like in the Tropics and talk about what happened in January, but the simple truth is that the regime has shifted. Now I am not suggesting an epic cold pattern is coming or that blizzard after blizzard is on the way, but this is NOT the same setup. This is the furthest east the forcing has gotten all winter, the NH AAM anomalies have reversed and the solar parameters continue to decline toward a probable min later this month during the next IMF dip. Our issue is not going to be the PV retreating to Alaska as much as it will be the tight / fast nature to the vortex (since the center of the stratospheric vortex will be essentially over the PV).

lol good ol JB...

http://twitter.com/B...732451442884608

Unfortunately I can't post the 500 mb difference between 12z Friday and 0z last night but there's a 25 mb INCREASE at 500 mb over the Ohio Valley between 12z and 0z as the trough is flatter to the south. There was some nasty cold in the OV at 12z but those -16 to -20 850's were replaced with -4 to -8.

post-105-0-19135200-1328358910.gif

post-105-0-26950300-1328358921.gif

If that's not intellectually dishonest, I don't know what is...

lol good ol JB...

http://twitter.com/B...732451442884608

Unfortunately I can't post the 500 mb difference between 12z Friday and 0z last night but there's a 25 mb INCREASE at 500 mb over the Ohio Valley between 12z and 0z as the trough is flatter to the south. There was some nasty cold in the OV at 12z but those -16 to -20 850's were replaced with -4 to -8.

post-105-0-19135200-1328358910.gif

post-105-0-26950300-1328358921.gif

If that's not intellectually dishonest, I don't know what is...

I disagree with you. I am certainly no JB defender but what he said was the last 4 runs of the Euro. By looking at them, he is right. Now you can split hairs and say last nights run was not as sharp with the trough as yesterdays 12z run but this mornings run is most certainly showing a much deeper trough then 4 runs ago.

Archived