• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wireless Anemometer

Hello everyone. I have a Davis VP2 weather station without a wireless anemometer. I really wish to have the anemometer higher up than where it is now. I don't think I am getting accurate wind data because the perimeter of my backyard is lined with trees. My weather station and anemometer are set up right in the middle of my backyard (where there is best opening). My current anemometer is only like 6 feet off the ground.

Anyone know of a good, reliable wireless anemometer (or transmitter?) so I can get more accurate wind data?

Thanks!santa.gif

Back in MA I had an Oregon Scientific one that withstood all kinds of junk on top of our house, ran by a solar cell attached to it, and was accurate but I had to get it really high (around 30 feet, and some trees on the west side still dampened some of the wind). That one seemed pretty robust. Sadly, I had to leave it with the house and now I have a wired one that I don't like at all. Doesn't matter much though because to get it high enough to be accurate I'd probably get into trouble with the @$%#((%& homeowner's association anyway.

Hello everyone. I have a Davis VP2 weather station without a wireless anemometer. I really wish to have the anemometer higher up than where it is now. I don't think I am getting accurate wind data because the perimeter of my backyard is lined with trees. My weather station and anemometer are set up right in the middle of my backyard (where there is best opening). My current anemometer is only like 6 feet off the ground.

Anyone know of a good, reliable wireless anemometer (or transmitter?) so I can get more accurate wind data?

Thanks!santa.gif

Davis Instruments sells a wireless transmitter for the anemometer. that can be found for ~$150.

Thanks!santa.gif

Is your station wired or wireless? Most opt for the wireless version, but I guess you never know. If it's wireless, as others have mentioned, the Davis Wireless Anemometer kit will allow you to put the anemometer where ever you want. If you've got the wired station, or you just want a cheaper way, you can get cable extensions for the anemometer. I think they sell them in lengths of 40 or 80 feet. I think even cheapo telephone extension cables will work as extensions since they use the same connectors, you just have to make sure the connections are weatherproofed or placed somewhere that won't get wet.

As long as you have trees within a few hundred feet that are higher than your anemometer you'll have to accept some level of inaccuracy, even if you put the anemometer on the roof. Having it on the roof will help, especially in the winter, compared to having it six feet above the ground where it's shielded by your house and other ground level structures.

I had to take mine down from my roof just so its easier to maintain during icy and snowy conditions. Only decent spot was here. The Pine to the SW (I thinned out today) is the only thing that would dampen the speed but its doing pretty good looking at the numbers compare to stations nearby.

http://www.proweatherstation.com/

post-7388-0-13280300-1324052442.jpg

Phenominal Software I use is http://sandaysoft.com/forum/ (click on Sandaysoft) Steve the creator is an awesome guy.

post-7388-0-57414800-1324052472.jpg

Thanks!santa.gif

EDIT: That's what happens when I don't read carefully.

Buy a wireless anemometer from Davis. So your console is wired? You can get another console to act as a repeater for the wireless anemometer if that's the case.

Go to wxforum.net and post your question there. Everyone there is more hardware knowledgeable and might have some other ideas.

BTW, you need to be at 33' or at least 7' above the roof line.

That's one reason I'll get a wireless when I upgrade. With the wireless console you have all kinds of options for additional sensors, including the wireless anemometer. Since your console is wired, my solution above won't work. You can have multiple wireless consoles talking to other wireless consoles but not to a wired. EDIT: Might be wrong... stand by!

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I have a WIRELESS VP2 weather station for those asking. So, I don't need to buy a whole new anemometer do I? I can just buy the transmitter and then keep using the standard anemometer that came with the weather station?

Also, where is the best place to mount the anemometer on the roof?

Is this what I need? : http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06332

Glad you have a wireless console!!!

Yes, that's what you need. http://www.convectivedevelopment.com/davis/davis-weather-stations.php#ourchart very bottom of page.

Yes, the roof is the best location. What you're trying to get is a 33' high install and that may or may not go above your roof. If not, you want it to go at least 7 feet above the highest point or else the readings might be affected by the wind blowing off the roof. Here's a CWOP siting guide

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I have a WIRELESS VP2 weather station for those asking. So, I don't need to buy a whole new anemometer do I? I can just buy the transmitter and then keep using the standard anemometer that came with the weather station?

Also, where is the best place to mount the anemometer on the roof?

Is this what I need? : http://www.davisnet.....asp?pnum=06332

use the existing anemometer. just get that wireless transmitter from Provantage for around $125 and your set. another positive thin is the board for the transmitter works as a backup for the ISS main board.

My wireless VP2 ISS died. I bought a vue as a replacement ISS. Cheaper than a VP2 ISS.

Was your anemometer wired or wireless?

Thanks guys, I will be ordering the transmitter just in time for Christmas then! :santa: I have one more question and it is totally different (I hope you don't mind)...are there any software updates for the VP2 from Davis? If there are, how do I update the weather station?

Are you talking about Weatherlink software updates or firmware updates?

Thanks guys, I will be ordering the transmitter just in time for Christmas then! :santa: I have one more question and it is totally different (I hope you don't mind)...are there any software updates for the VP2 from Davis? If there are, how do I update the weather station?

Weatherlink is updated a few times a year to fix minir issues. My advice is if you have no issues, do not update this software. i have found many bugs that are included with the new updates

Firmware is updated on the older consoles/envoys are updated via a updater that is rented by Davis Instruments. Newer and updated via the weatherlink USB connection after the firmware download from Davis.

Was your anemometer wired or wireless?

Wireless. I have an ISS and a anemometer wireless station. Im hoping i can use the existing anemometer as it is properly located. The anemometer on the vue ISS seems to me too low for my obs needs so I am hoping to disconnect it or use both in virtualVP --> weatherlink/vws.

The Davis VP2 pro wireless I have came with a anemometer that had about 50 feet of cable which plugs into the ISS.

All you would need is a wireless anemometer transmitter. The cable from the anemometer plugs into the transmitter. That way you can not only isolate the "lightning rod" cable from the anemometer to the ISS, put you can now place the anemometer up to 1000' away if necessary.

And in case any of you have a Davis Vue, I received this from Davis:

Hello Steve,

Yes you can add the Wireless Anemometer transmitter kit to the Vantage Vue configuration. Remember you would need the transmitter and the anemometer assembly, product numbers 6332 & 6410.

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06332

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/search_product.asp?pnum=6410

Sincerely,

Curtis Lawton

Technical Support Representative

Davis Instruments

(510) 732-7814 [email protected]

Archived