• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Astronomical Viewing Session

Kmlwx

Where at? Gotta be hard to find a park in this county to find a view spot away from the city lights. I have done some shots from the Moncracy area (right off Rt. 28) in Frederick Co.

Canon 7D does OK with the kit lens, but come Jan. might have some better glass by then. Still get decent night shots...and would be fun to do a nice long TL with one camera and video with the other 7D (I have two).

• 4 weeks later...

This would be at MLK Rec Park in Montgomery County, MD (Colesville area). I have a permit to use the park grounds during all hours of the night/day so that's the main reason this location is the site...well and the fact that it's close to me and not too far to lug a 50 pound telescope.

Updates to come closer to the event if anybody is still interested.

Some good targets even with the close proximity to the metro corridor are:

~ Any planets visible

~ Pleiades Seven Sisters Open Cluster

~ The Moon when it's around

~ A few elusive deep sky objects that may or may not be visible due to various "astronomical seeing" conditions.

~ Any other globular or open clusters that happen to be visible. There's a decent field of view around that location too with not many trees in the way.

Count me and my son in. My wife and younger daughter will want to go too. Is 4 a crowd? I would prefer just me and my boy but everyone would really enjoy it.

Whatever works for you works for me!

My permit has a set number of people on it but the park manager already told me as long as I have a rough idea of how many before hand and I email him that it's fine. Last time I was out there I didn't see a soul the entire time...except a jogger who reported me to park police (heard it on the scanner).

Whatever works for you works for me!

My permit has a set number of people on it but the park manager already told me as long as I have a rough idea of how many before hand and I email him that it's fine. Last time I was out there I didn't see a soul the entire time...except a jogger who reported me to park police (heard it on the scanner).

Jeez Kenny, you gotta stop using that nice telescope to look into apartment building windows......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had the pleasure of meeting Kenny in person last night and spent an hour looking out into space. My wife and 2 youngest children joined me and it was really cool. We looked at the moon, Mars, Venus, Jupiter, and a couple of deeper space objects like star clusters and gas clouds.

I own a nice dslr camera (canon rebel) but I am a total rookie with long exposure / manual settings. All the the photos were taken with an 800 ISO setting, and shutter speeds anywhere from 1 - 5 seconds. It was quite challenging because I had to hold the camera in my hand and it is very difficult to hold it still enough to not be blurry with long exposures. I'm investing in a simple telescope eyepiece adapter where the camera is attached to the telescope and the telescope itself acts as the lens. I'll be able to get crystal clear photos with shutter speeds as slow as 30 seconds.

I didn't get any pics of Jupiter and the moons. I thought looking at that was the coolest because you could clearly see the red stripes on the planet and 3 moons lined up. My wife thought the gas cloud was the coolest. I did get an ok picture of the gas cloud but it will be much brighter and clearer once I have the adapter.

Thanks again Kenny for taking the time to share a fun viewing experience!

My first astro-photography experiment. Kmlwx...I'd love if you could PM me and give me some of your secrets! I looked at Mars, Jupiter, Venus and the Orion Nebula as well. Mars is at opposition, but I couldn't make out any clear surface features. A little bummed about that. It was fairly low on the horizon at 8pm, so that was probably part of it. This picture was taken with ISO 400 and an exposure of a third of a second (if memory serves). Fairly low power eyepiece as well.

For info, I have a 8" dobsonian telescope and the camera is a Canon Rebel XS DSLR.

post-51-0-79614300-1330913220.jpg

My first astro-photography experiment. Kmlwx...I'd love if you could PM me and give me some of your secrets! I looked at Mars, Jupiter, Venus and the Orion Nebula as well. Mars is at opposition, but I couldn't make out any clear surface features. A little bummed about that. It was fairly low on the horizon at 8pm, so that was probably part of it. This picture was taken with ISO 400 and an exposure of a third of a second (if memory serves). Fairly low power eyepiece as well.

For info, I have a 8" dobsonian telescope and the camera is a Canon Rebel XS DSLR.

Hey - pretty burned out tonight but look for a PM from me tomorrow evening when I'm a bit more recharged. I've actually been surprised at some of my photos in the past given that I only have a sony cybershot to work with (and also no eyepiece mount).

I've done a fair amount of research since meeting Kenny the other night. I have a rebel too and this is what I've been looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-T-Mount-Adapter-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000KNCB7C

I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I like to do alot of homework before buying something. This is a great resource that explains things really well:

http://www.midatlanticastronomy.org/astrobasics.htm

10-30 second exposures appear to be what is necessary to get really good pics through telescopes. I was able to find exact settings for the rebel from a site but I can't find it now. The only way really get good photos is to use an adapter. I plan on buying one in the next month or so.

Great pic btw!

Ok, so you need the ring and the T-adapter? That's not too bad. Add that to the birthday/father's day/Christmas list for sure. Surely you'll want long exposures for deep sky objects, but the Moon is so bright that you'll just get a blur unless you use a fairly short exposure. That's at least what I found out last night. Since I have a dobsonian scope, I'll also have to be careful with longer exposures since targets will move and blur over that kind of time.

I certainly need to learn more about proper ISO and the various other settings. Probably trial and error would work best. Focusing was a pain last night. Auto focus wouldn't work, so I used manual focus, but that was...not easy. Any tips, Bob?

Ok, so you need the ring and the T-adapter? That's not too bad. Add that to the birthday/father's day/Christmas list for sure. Surely you'll want long exposures for deep sky objects, but the Moon is so bright that you'll just get a blur unless you use a fairly short exposure. That's at least what I found out last night. Since I have a dobsonian scope, I'll also have to be careful with longer exposures since targets will move and blur over that kind of time.

I certainly need to learn more about proper ISO and the various other settings. Probably trial and error would work best. Focusing was a pain last night. Auto focus wouldn't work, so I used manual focus, but that was...not easy. Any tips, Bob?

There are more expensive adapters that are supposed to be much better than t-rings so I might look at doing that if I'm going to spend the money. It's still only like 70 bucks or so. Once I decide which direction I'm going in I'll let you know.

You do have to do manual focus. Auto won't work when taking a pic through a camera lens. However, when you use the adapter there is no more focusing at all. The telescope itself acts as the lens (I thought this was really cool when I wrapped my head around it).

Trial and error appears to be the way to go generally speaking. There appears to be some settings that are important. ISO @ 800+ will take the best pics if you can figure out the rest of the stuff. Auto white balance should be set at "daylight" setting with exceptions of course. Noise and blur reduction should be turned on. I had to read the canon manual to figure out how to do that. Who reads manuals? lol

Using a remote to trigger the shutter is important. I don't own a remote yet but they are cheap. Keeping everything super still is important.

I agree about exposure settings. Moon should be good @ 1 second or less. Deeper space stuff you will need much much longer exposures. Not sure how to counterbalance the object moving. I need to read more. One thing I know for sure, Jupiter looked super cool. I could see the red stripes. If I could have taken a quality pic through an adapter I'm pretty sure it would have been stunning to some extent. Set your camera to take the pics in both RAW and JPG format at the same time. RAW is the best for software processing but I know nothing about that. I'll learn someday and it's easy to take pics in both formats so I'll stock up on RAW photos and figure out what to do with them later.

I know enough about this stuff to be dangerous. I only recently read up on it but I think I can get the hang of it pretty easily. I'm already looking forward to another viewing session with Kenny. I'm going to be much more prepared with equipment next time. The computerized/motorized telescopes are prob the best for deep space photos. They'll keep the objects centered. I with I had a spare grand or 2 laying around.

Cool. I think I follow the "camera as eyepiece" idea. So once you have the various adapters on, you just focus with the eyepiece focus adjustment on the telescope? Still not sure though how that relates to the power of an eyepiece versus zooming the camera. Because you can't zoom in with the camera once it's on the scope, right?

For the movement, you definitely need to get a motorized star-tracking scope. I think they make dobsonians that can do that now, but most people use Schmidt-Cassegrains. You're looking at $1-2K for that for an 8" scope. I suppose I'll just have to test and see what kind of exposures I can do before blur becomes a significant problem. 5-10 seconds might be ok, but I think 30 seconds would definitely blur things too much. Just my wag.

• 8 months later...

I got a T-ring and adapter for my birthday, but tonight was the first night I tried it out with a full moon. In summary...didn't work. Second pic is what I got with the camera attached to the telescope with the ring and adapter. First pic is with a 25mm eyepiece on the scope and the standard kit lens on the camera, just holding the camera in front of the eyepiece. I'm missing something or doing something wrong.

post-51-0-97316900-1354152206_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-37258100-1354152217_thumb.jpg

I got a T-ring and adapter for my birthday, but tonight was the first night I tried it out with a full moon. In summary...didn't work. Second pic is what I got with the camera attached to the telescope with the ring and adapter. First pic is with a 25mm eyepiece on the scope and the standard kit lens on the camera, just holding the camera in front of the eyepiece. I'm missing something or doing something wrong.

It's a shame that you couldn't get it working properly. The moon and Jupiter are spectacular tonight. Your first photo inspired me to do some telescope browsing online tonight.

Hope that you get it figured out so you can post the photos.

Archived