joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats gonna hurt us this time is warm ground temps from today! grrrrr lol. I still think most of us should see 1-3 inches if it stays on track. Hell at this point i will be happy just to see it snow, plus I want to try out this new mode my camcorder has that I did not even know about after 3 yrs lol. Super slo motion mode, should look neat with snow falling if I do it right

Now my forecast says rain before 3pm tomorrow then snow/sleet between 9pm and midnight then freezing drizzle after midnight, let the uncertainties begin once again sighhhhh. Will wind up being another slop bag mix before the cold arrives and no snow? Who knows

Yeah I think the point forecasts are gonna be all over the place the next 24 hrs or so. As bad as they have missed some of their calls here lately hard to sink your teeth into very much right now. But I agree the warm ground will limit us. I think you should do fairly well in your area. Hope the slo mode works out well for you.

Yea the camcorder can record like 30 seconds at a time in 240 frames per second. I tried it with water in the sink lol and looked pretty neat. I think the faster something is moving the neater it will look. If its dark though forget it as this sony camcorder isnt very good in pitch black, may just upload the video to youtube so my sister can see it cause shes like me and loves the snow, if it snows lol. heres to hoping we all can get at least something from this!!!!

00 NAM wants to develop a pretty intense band of snow on the far NW side of the precip shield. Lot of sleet to the SE of that. 

Yea 00z nam is borderline at hour 27 here with a mix of snow/sleet. 18z gfs(if thats the latest Im looking at) looks like rain primarily for the same time period. Im looking at surface precip type maps

Arctic airmass is oozing SE a bit quicker than the models think still. RAP increased precip amounts. Looking at dewpoints, we may wetbulb to freezing if we get precip. (at least in SE KS/ W MO)

Yeah already down to 36 here.  We may wetbulb down quickly with some heavier precip moving in.  I think we may see more ice than what was anticipated.

Depends on how much dry air is in place, usually a few degrees though. Your dewpoint probably won't get you below freezing. 

I noticed Tulsa added "Thunder" in with the wording of occasional freezing rain and sleet for their N OK counties.

RAP has pushed precip totals up to around 0.4 or so here, and more just SE of here.

does that mean more ice for us here JOMO ?? in kjln , or should we go by what sgf is saying like a few hundredths to a tenth of an inch  on elevated surfaces ????

I don't really know how we're going to get up to 42 today with rain this afternoon (like they are saying) when we are down to 34 and our dewpoint is below freezing. Temps keep falling behind the front as it's 28 in Chanute. They have us at 0.1-0.3" of ice tonight with around 1" of snow.

I don't really know how we're going to get up to 42 today with rain this afternoon (like they are saying) when we are down to 34 and our dewpoint is below freezing. Temps keep falling behind the front as it's 28 in Chanute. They have us at 0.1-0.3" of ice tonight with around 1" of snow.

Same for here 1-2" forecasted and some ice after midnight. I also noticed my temp is dropping way faster then they anticipated, I guess this could be a good thing before precip begins....down to 36 here now

Springfield is awful. They changed the forecast to high of 42 with rain in an earlier update for this afternoon...... For tonight it was 1" of snow and 0.1 to 0.3" of ice.  Now the update says... Freezing rain, temp  near 30, 0.1-0.3" of daytime ice accumulation....... Now tonight 0.1-0.3" of accumulation of freezing rain and 1-2" of snow.

Now we are back to:

Late Afternoon:

Freezing rain. Steady temperature around 30. Wind chill values as low as 18. North wind around 18 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.3 of an inch possible.

Tonight:

Snow and freezing drizzle, becoming all freezing drizzle after midnight. Low around 22. Wind chill values as low as 11. North wind 13 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.3 of an inch possible. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Springfield is awful. They changed the forecast to high of 42 with rain in an earlier update for this afternoon...... For tonight it was 1" of snow and 0.1 to 0.3" of ice.  Now the update says... Freezing rain, temp  near 30, 0.1-0.3" of daytime ice accumulation....... Now tonight 0.1-0.3" of accumulation of freezing rain and 1-2" of snow.

Now we are back to:

Late Afternoon:

Freezing rain. Steady temperature around 30. Wind chill values as low as 18. North wind around 18 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.3 of an inch possible.

Tonight:

Snow and freezing drizzle, becoming all freezing drizzle after midnight. Low around 22. Wind chill values as low as 11. North wind 13 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.3 of an inch possible. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Yea I said it many times their forecasts are always bad it seems lol, nonstop confusing changes like they have no clue whats going on. Whats new right lol, on a sidenote my temp is down to 32.7 now and is dropping fast with the rain falling.....could this be more of a zr issue, I really hate freezing rain!

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0016

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0345 PM CST SAT JAN 12 2013

AREAS AFFECTED...NERN OK...SERN KS...CNTRL MO...W-CNTRL IL

CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION 

VALID 122145Z - 130315Z

SUMMARY...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE LATE

THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM NERN OK NEWD INTO W-CNTRL IL AS

HEAVIER PRECIPITATION MOVES IN FROM THE SSW. LIQUID EQUIVALENT RATES

OF 0.05-0.15 IN/HR WILL BE POSSIBLE...MAINLY IN HEAVIER

SLEET/FREEZING RAIN BANDS.

DISCUSSION...AT 21Z...RADAR LOOP SHOWS A LARGE AREA OF RAIN WITH

EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS OVER ERN OK AND NWRN AR SPREADING TO THE

NORTHEAST. THIS ACTIVITY IS BEING DRIVEN BY ISENTROPIC LIFT OVER A

FRONTAL BOUNDARY THAT EXTENDS FROM NERN TX THROUGH CNTRL AR...WITH

SUFFICIENT MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES FUELING ELEVATED CONVECTION.

MEANWHILE...THE FREEZING LINE CURRENTLY RUNS FROM A BVO-20 N JLN-IRK

LINE...WITH THE WET-BULB ZERO LINE RUNNING FROM ROUGHLY

TUL-JLN-COU-UIN. A COMBINATION OF EVAPORATIVE COOLING AND MODEST

LOW-LEVEL COLD ADVECTION SHOULD ALLOW THE FREEZING LINE TO MOVE

SOUTH WITH TIME AS HEAVIER PRECIPITATION OVERSPREADS THE REGION. 

STRONG LOW-MID LEVEL FRONTOGENESIS IN THE 21-03Z TIMEFRAME SHOULD

MAINTAIN ASCENT OVER THE REGION THROUGH THE EVENING...WITH BANDING

AND POTENTIALLY SOME RESIDUAL UPRIGHT BUOYANCY MAINTAINING

OCCASIONALLY MODERATE/HEAVY PRECIP RATES. THE NRN PART OF THE MCD

AREA IS LIKELY TO CHANGEOVER FROM SLEET TO SNOW BY 00Z...WITH NARROW

TRANSITION ZONES OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN FROM NW TO SE SOUTH OF

THE SNOW AREA AS THE COLD AIRMASS GETS PROGRESSIVELY MORE SHALLOW.

Not sure what Ice storm warning criteria is here anymore.  One article I found says over 1/4" ice but another newer looking one says over 1".  Anybody know?  Already freezing on higher objects here and still a lot of precip to come.

I think it's either 1/4-1/2"

Edit: That little storm NW of Jay, OK is an elevated supercell. It's been going for quite some time.

Archived