amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 18-20 Potential Talking Points

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The smaller the storm, the harder time the models are going to have filtering out any "signal".  This isn't a storm as massive as 93 or even 96.

Sounds like the background "noise" makes smaller storms much harder to predict.  This is also true with tropical systems.

You're correct, a lakes cutter will definitely not happen in this pattern w/ a strong -AO and west based -NAO block. Better chance of an out to sea scenario than inland runner/cutter. I can envision a coastal hugger though, where the big cities change over to rain, if the PV orients itself further SW, causing heights to rise more along the EC.

Supression is probably more likely than that though.

One more that was modeled way out and was a dud:

Early March

I think that's 4 (New Years, Jan 30, Feb 15-16, early March) that at one point were modeled as monsters but turned out to be duds overall. Given that there were 4 that weren't duds, that drops the probability of a big one to at least 50%, given modeling success last year alone. There are probably one or two more I'm not remembering...

One more that was modeled way out and was a dud:

Early March

I think that's 4 (New Years, Jan 30, Feb 15-16, early March) that at one point were modeled as monsters but turned out to be duds overall.  Given that there were 4 that weren't duds, that drops the probability of a big one to at least 50%, given modeling success last year alone.  There are probably one or two more I'm not remembering...

Haha dont remind me of that one-- it was the harbinger of an awful March.  The high point of that month was the mid Month huge (all rain) noreaster.  There was an early December storm that was supposed to give us some snow (not a monster) and didnt deliver also.  So the season started and ended on a dud lol.

Here's a visual on the 12z GGEM where we can see the main features still in play that we were speaking about yesterday. The shortwave heading over the top of the west coast ridge (in this frame over the Dakotas) is a feature that is becoming increasingly important as it serves to really amplify the trough as it heads east--but the main feature remains the interaction between the southern stream shortwave and PV. The 12z Euro today had significant height improvements in regards to these two features.

f132.gif

Annnnnnnd... the GFS loses it :lol:

It could still come back. Its now a wait and see game... it'll hold my attention most of the week, that's for sure.

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm not getting my hopes up but there's something definitely to watch. No sense getting up or down with each and every model run...

The 12z UKMet hemispheric loops are out, and they show what's going on much better aloft. Oddly enough the model doesn't have a full phase with the PV, in fact it leaves a piece of it over Central Canada. That being said, it's much more amplified with the trough over the Southern US. I tried sifting through the GFS Ensembles to find a member similar aloft to the 12z UKMet, but went without luck. The closest I could find was p004. I do think this type of solution would still obviously find a way to produce frozen precipitation in our area given the setup aloft and the low pressure tucking inland, but you would have to be west and then southwest of the low pressure.

f144.gif

It did. I think there were supposed to be 2 events, one on Christmas Eve and the other 25th - 26th with more threats through the new year and what many touted to be one of the best 2 week periods of winter in recent years. Of course that didn't pan out except for LI/NE with that crazy ocean storm.

Did'nt DEC 25 26 also show a big hit 8 days out before it became a big cutter?

Archived