northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 18-20 Potential Talking Points

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone throwing themselves off bridges did so prematurely... it was clear the storm hadn't disappeared, merely the ingredients had come together differently. I think we'll see much more agreement from the models starting around the 00z runs tomorrow night, but in the meantime they'll continue to flop.

That being said... this run=:thumbsup:Snowman.gif:thumbsup:

Nik, glad to see you back posting :thumbsup:

good luck up there (or down here if you're out of school!)

Nik, glad to see you back posting :thumbsup:

good luck up there (or down here if you're out of school!)

Up here for this storm, coming back to DC on the 21st for break! Last winter having two places paid off majorly, I saw 4 storms of over 10" with 3 having 20"+! (12/19, 20.5" in McLean, 2/5-6, 27" in McLean, 2/10, 10" in NYC, and 2/25, 20" in NYC!). thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The weenie in all of us is coming out..lol. Nice play by play. Lets hope we all get in on some action, but I advise all to not let hopes go out of control.

You can always count on the tightly packed 10m wind gradient maps on NCEP to bring out the weenie in us all...cheers. Long way to go with this one but the potential is bursting at the seams if you ask me. Something's got to give.

gfs_ten_144s.gif

Up here for this storm, coming back to DC on the 21st for break! Last winter having two places paid off majorly, I saw 4 storms of over 10" with 3 having 20"+! (12/19, 20.5" in McLean, 2/5-6, 27" in McLean, 2/10, 10" in NYC, and 2/25, 20" in NYC!). thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

don't forget to study for finals

(sorry for OT folks)

normally i'd say we're right where we want to be but it's a different year and a different setup. i think i-95 and east are where you'd want to be for this...hope i'm wrong but the setup won't allow for this thing to get too far west.

I sure hope you're right. Don't need this thing to go so far west to bring rain to people like me in South Jersey.

You can always count on the tightly packed 10m wind gradient maps on NCEP to bring out the weenie in us all...cheers. Long way to go with this one but the potential is bursting at the seams if you ask me. Something's got to give.

gfs_ten_144s.gif

I agree it's loaded with potential. Perhaps I'm just snake bitten from last year..lol. I'm probably gonna wait to get this inside 96 hrs to really weenie out.

I think the important thing to take from today's runs is that all options are on the table. We have a possibility of a coastal plain runner if you believe the UKMET to a near hit if you believe other models. Since this is a delicate situation with the the timing of the shortwaves, I'd expect a lot of waffling until we get within 72 hours. But even then I would expect a wide range of solutions. Recall last year's 12/19 storm and how the models didn't accurately forecast the splitting of the PV until we got within 72 hours. Going to be a fun week for sure.

As Earthlight indicated- winds on Long Island are depicted to be pretty strong.. This QPF map reminds me of 12/19/09 - Eastern LI/Cape get the brunt of the storm.. NYC does well, but places just to the north and west - amts drop off a lot..

yes its almost too eerily similar. PV breaking off into a STJ s/w, tight qpf cut-off I-95 cities west. Deja vu huh?

wow looking at the all evolved i thought that was going to be a late phase just offshore. That vortex really dug in at the last minute.

Trace back and notice the energy that comes out of the rockies earlier in the run. This energy was not there on the 12z run thanks to the bigger ridge out west. This energy is key as it digs into the trough base and amplifies things further east. We will have to watch carefully---but I like the trends in general amongst all the models including the PV retrograde this run which was pretty impressive despite a late start.

Some serious UVV's involved with this system and the extend basically to the I-95 corridor from DCA to PHL..and then west of NYC into NE NJ and into SNE along a similar line. -9 or greater UVV's and an absolutely classic CCB and dryslot depiction at 144 hrs.

can you explain this to me earthlight?

Archived