Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Remember when

Ginx snewx

Here is the radar Will posted of that squall line

http://www.easternus...ost__p__3328832

It was an inverted trough hanging back from storm #1. Basically a norlun type event. It wasn't forecasted that well by the models, but I remember Scott and I noting that the LL moisture and inverted trough signal on the NAM might suggest weenie snow falling through Saturday...it actually turned out to be better than just weenie snow. I got like 3" of total fluff from perfect dendrites.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was an inverted trough hanging back from storm #1. Basically a norlun type event. It wasn't forecasted that well by the models, but I remember Scott and I noting that the LL moisture and inverted trough signal on the NAM might suggest weenie snow falling through Saturday...it actually turned out to be better than just weenie snow. I got like 3" of total fluff from perfect dendrites.

I think the euro was even painting some very light QPF, but I remember you and I were noting how it was still moist in the mid levels and it wouldn't take much to squeeze some snow out of the atmosphere. That was a really cool event. We had some WAA near 850 helping out too. That area near NZW got hit pretty good on the 20th.

On 12/13/07?

I don't remember any reports over a foot except for a few isolated spots in SE MA. Berkshires would have been slightly too far north to get the jackpot in that storm.

Oh Really?lol I guess you don't remember everything.lol I was building a house just up the road in Peru and there was over a foot there. I have some pics somewhere. I have 11 written down here, though I was very sporadic in my record keeping. Since I've met all of you freaks I've started to keep much more detailed notes.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY

1137 AM EST FRI DEC 14 2007

THE FOLLOWING UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS ARE A SUMMARY TAKEN FROM THE

DEC 13TH SNOWSTORM THAT AFFECTED OUR REGION. APPRECIATION IS

EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN

SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO

AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/ALBANY

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

(INCHES) MEASUREMENT

CONNECTICUT

...LITCHFIELD COUNTY...

GOSHEN 13.9 1109 PM 12/13 TRAINED SPOTTER

TORRINGTON 12.0 1017 PM 12/13 TRAINED SPOTTER

BAKERSVILLE 11.7 700 AM 12/14 COOP

NEW HARTFORD 11.1 917 PM 12/13 TRAINED SPOTTER

COLEBROOK LAKE 11.0 700 AM 12/14 COOP

SHARON 10.5 528 PM 12/13 MEDIA

NEW PRESTON 10.0 745 PM 12/13 TRAINED SPOTTER

WINCHESTER 10.0 532 PM 12/13 PUBLIC

KENT 9.5 634 PM 12/13 PUBLIC

WINSTED 9.0 634 PM 12/13 TRAINED SPOTTER

MORRIS 8.7 537 PM 12/13 PUBLIC

NEW MILFORD 8.0 800 PM 12/13 PUBLIC

MASSACHUSETTS

...BERKSHIRE COUNTY...

SAVOY 13.5 1044 PM 12/13 MEDIA

WEST OTIS 10.2 700 AM 12/14 COOP

DALTON 10.0 700 AM 12/14 COOP

LANESBOROUGH 10.0 634 AM 12/14 MEDIA

WILLIAMSTOWN 9.5 625 PM 12/13 MEDIA

STOCKBRIDGE 9.3 650 PM 12/13 PUBLIC

ADAMS 9.0 1045 PM 12/13 MEDIA

ALFORD 9.0 652 AM 12/14 MEDIA

LENOX 9.0 829 AM 12/14 TRAINED SPOTTER

GREAT BARRINGTON 8.5 125 AM 12/14 TRAINED SPOTTER

RICHMOND 8.5 635 PM 12/13 TRAINED SPOTTER

NEW YORK

Oh Really?lol I guess you don't remember everything.lol I was building a house just up the road in Peru and there was over a foot there. I have some pics somewhere. I have 11 written down here, though I was very sporadic in my record keeping. Since I've met all of you freaks I've started to keep much more detailed notes.

Well Goshen makes more sense down in CT where the heaviest qpf is...the Savoy total looks like an outlier...I guess its possible.

I remember the 12/13/07 storm. I was in eighth grade in language arts class staring out the window at about 11:15am because school was being let out at 12:00 because of the storm. Everyone was waiting for the first flakes. I remember going back to homeroom around noon, before I got on the bus, and I saw a few flurries and I was pumped. By the time I got on the bus 10 minutes later it was SN+, and by the time I got home around 12:45 there must have already been an inch on the ground. Man did it rip for a while. From flurries to SN+ in 2 minutes.

Unfortunately the only board I knew about at that time was accuweather...but I do remember shoveling with my mom and I think that was the first time I actually measured the total for a storm. I think I had 8.5" or 9" but I'm not sure...I didn't write down and keep track of snow totals until 2009.

Well Goshen makes more sense down in CT where the heaviest qpf is...the Savoy total looks like an outlier...I guess its possible.

Well, ALB felt like it was accurate enough to depict it on their map. You should know by now, it finds a way to snow here even when it looks like it won't.lol

LOL, you had to rip the scab off that wound didn't you. Is that the one that BOX hoisted the warnings out here for heavy snow and we never saw even a flake? Confluence FTL? I remember Ray asking if I liked smoking cirrus.lol I was p*ssed!!

Yep

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/displayEvent.php?event=Dec_19-20_2009&element=snow

It wasn't that great here either...I had about 7 inches and 10 miles SE of me had over a foot.

Yep

http://www.erh.noaa....09&element=snow

It wasn't that great here either...I had about 7 inches and 10 miles SE of me had over a foot.

Man, that was a bummer. I'm honestly going to split for AK for a few weeks mid Winter if we end up with a clunker. I have to have snow to live. That said , it's way to early for all the bridge jumping. I'm still bullish. Life on the edge of the thermal boundary can be exciting !!!

That was one of the few times where being on the NW edge of the heavy precip on the models didn't work out with a great death band...the dry air was so strong that it chewed up the precip on the edge.

Yeah the NAM went bonkers on that one run causing more numerous posts of the high terrain of western mass cleaning up. At least he could look up and see the halo around the moon.

That was one of the few times where being on the NW edge of the heavy precip on the models didn't work out with a great death band...the dry air was so strong that it chewed up the precip on the edge.

I kept going outside because the radar looked good right over me. A virga blizzard. What a sucky memory.blech.

Archived