• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 8-9 severe prospects?

Hoosier

Models are in general agreement on taking a surface low from the central Plains northeastward into Wisconsin during the middle of next week. Some severe weather looks possible especially south of I-70 in MO/IL with any severe threat farther north/east being too difficult to diagnose at this point mainly due to questions about instability. ECMWF/GFS are bringing near 60 degree dewpoints into parts of IL/MO with low/mid 50's farther north toward Chicago with strong wind fields spreading over the entire area. Not real confident on the magnitude/severity of this event yet but something to watch.

post-14-0-01283600-1320468394.gif

post-14-0-51614100-1320468457.gif

post-14-0-23441800-1320468511.gif

post-14-0-60679500-1320468656.gif

post-14-0-73237400-1320468711.gif

post-14-0-78489700-1320468769.gif

LOT

MEDIUM RANGE MODELS HAVE SLOWED THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM A BIT

BUT CONTINUE TO ADVERTISE A POWERFUL SLIGHTLY NEGATIVELY TILTED

CLOSED LOW LIFTING NORTHEAST INTO THE MIDWEST TUESDAY NIGHT INTO

WEDNESDAY. DESPITE CLOUD COVER AND SOME OCCASIONAL SHOWERS/STORMS

IT STILL LOOKS LIKE AN UNSEASONABLY DAY TUESDAY WITH HIGHS WELL INTO

THE 60S. MULTIPLE DAYS OF RETURN FLOW FROM THE GULF...INCLUDING

24-36 HOURS OF LOW LEVEL FLOW ORIGINATING FROM THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN

SHOULD PROVIDE FOR A RESPECTABLY MOIST PRE-FRONTAL AIRMASS FOR

NOVEMBER. WHILE THERE ARE SOME MINOR TRACK/TIMING DIFFERENCES AMONG

THE VARIOUS MODELS...GENERAL SYNOPTIC PATTERN CERTAINLY LOOKING

FAVORABLE FOR A FALL SEVERE WEATHER EVENT SOMEWHERE IN THE REGION

TUESDAY NIGHT OR WEDNESDAY.

LOT

MEDIUM RANGE MODELS HAVE SLOWED THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM A BIT

BUT CONTINUE TO ADVERTISE A POWERFUL SLIGHTLY NEGATIVELY TILTED

CLOSED LOW LIFTING NORTHEAST INTO THE MIDWEST TUESDAY NIGHT INTO

WEDNESDAY. DESPITE CLOUD COVER AND SOME OCCASIONAL SHOWERS/STORMS

IT STILL LOOKS LIKE AN UNSEASONABLY DAY TUESDAY WITH HIGHS WELL INTO

THE 60S. MULTIPLE DAYS OF RETURN FLOW FROM THE GULF...INCLUDING

24-36 HOURS OF LOW LEVEL FLOW ORIGINATING FROM THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN

SHOULD PROVIDE FOR A RESPECTABLY MOIST PRE-FRONTAL AIRMASS FOR

NOVEMBER. WHILE THERE ARE SOME MINOR TRACK/TIMING DIFFERENCES AMONG

THE VARIOUS MODELS...GENERAL SYNOPTIC PATTERN CERTAINLY LOOKING

FAVORABLE FOR A FALL SEVERE WEATHER EVENT SOMEWHERE IN THE REGION

TUESDAY NIGHT OR WEDNESDAY.

:popcorn:

day4prob.gif

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0304 AM CDT SAT NOV 05 2011

VALID 081200Z - 131200Z

TUE/D4... DETERMINISTIC AND MEDIUM RANGE ENSEMBLES ARE IN GENERAL AGREEMENT OF UPPER LOW TRACKING FROM THE TX PANHANDLE AREA NEWD INTO IA... THOUGH AT VARIOUS SPEEDS AND INTENSITY. THE FORCING...SHEAR AND INSTABILITY APPEAR FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE...ESPECIALLY AS THE UPPER TROUGH BECOMES NEGATIVELY TILTED LATER IN THE PERIOD. THE BEST THREAT FOR SEVERE WEATHER WILL BE IN THE MID MS VALLEY WHERE THE BEST COMBINATION OF STRONGER FORCING AND INSTABILITY ARE FORECAST TO OCCUR. MODELS ARE HIGHLY SUGGESTIVE OF A FAST MOVING THUNDERSTORM LINE...WITH WIND DAMAGE THE MAIN THREAT. NORTH OF THE OUTLOOK AREA...FORCING AND WIND FIELDS WILL BE VERY STRONG AND FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE WEATHER...BUT UNCERTAINTY ON INSTABILITY PREVENTED THE RISK AREA FROM BEING EXTENDED FARTHER NWD. SOUTH OF THE OUTLOOK AREA IN ERN TX/FAR SRN AR AND LA...STORMS ARE LIKELY AS FRONT/TROUGH SHIFTS EWD. HOWEVER... SEVERE THREAT EXPECTED TO BE MORE ISOLATED AS MAIN FORCING PASSES WELL NORTH OF AREA WITH LITTLE IN THE WAY OF HEIGHT CHANGES.

WED/D5...UPPER WAVE AND SURFACE LOW PRESSURE ARE FORECAST TO LIFT NEWD INTO THE OH VALLEY/GREAT LAKES REGION. WHILE A LOW END SEVERE WIND THREAT MAY STILL EXIST IN THE MORNING...GIVEN THE STRONG FORCING/WIND FIELDS...MOST OF THE CONVECTION IS EXPECTED TO SHIFT NEWD INTO AN AREA WHERE NO APPRECIABLE INSTABILITY IS FORECAST.

The instability is lacking for this, and the timing keeps moving around. There will be strong winds not far off the surface, so any convection that does get going might bring some of that down. We haven't had our fall severe weather event yet, so anything's possible.

The instability is lacking for this, and the timing keeps moving around. There will be strong winds not far off the surface, so any convection that does get going might bring some of that down. We haven't had our fall severe weather event yet, so anything's possible.

Yeah, the GFS seems to be on the faster side. 12z Euro looks like it may have sped up a hair but only glanced quickly.

Best potential (though still not really great) with this still looks to be roughly south of I-70 in MO and perhaps spilling into IL/KY. There is no magic number but normally at this time of year I'd like to see at least upper 50's surface dews for a better chance of severe including tornadoes and we're not really seeing that except in the area I mentioned. North of I-70 it will probably be tough to pull out anything more than a few wind reports.

Best potential (though still not really great) with this still looks to be roughly south of I-70 in MO and perhaps spilling into IL/KY. There is no magic number but normally at this time of year I'd like to see at least upper 50's surface dews for a better chance of severe including tornadoes and we're not really seeing that except in the area I mentioned. North of I-70 it will probably be tough to pull out anything more than a few wind reports.

The NAM is bringing a narrow axis of instibility and 60F dp's as far north as the Macomb/PIA area Tuesday evening.

slight risk extended to Quincy

day2otlk_20111107_1730_prt.gif

good call by them with probably low 60 dews getting up to that area and the NAM even had 60's up to BRL/south of DVN and with the very strong LLJ/mid-level jet, once the mid-level heights/temps fall after 0z in response to the strong wave, we should see a healthy line of showers and storms and push eastward overnight.

Wow 12z NAM stronger and has H5 winds pushing 100kts in northern IL overnight tomorrow.

Archived