amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Weekly Arctic Sea Ice Contest

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prelim of 64k.

Just a reminder: Andrew (skierinvermont) is away skiing. When he gets back to his home, the scores for last week will be tallied. I don't have the Excel data to do this myself.

You guys should do a Google document. It would be very helpful for your purpose.

Just got back a little while ago, been checking out the snow totals for the storm. Haven't seen prelim. I'll go with 440k for this week. Thanks to Nate for taking care of things while I was gone.

We're at extreme record low levels which argues for above average gain, Hudson's Bay should continue to freeze some with a cold shot, Baffin strait might start too as that cold moves east, the Bering Strait esp on the Russian side should do well with very cold air and north winds, and the northern and western Okhotsk should gain a little too with some extreme cold at the very north edge late in the week. The Barents is the area where it might not do so well early in the week with south winds and warm air. Baffin Bay might gain a little with a brief cold shot but overall continues to struggle with the extreme NAO blocking.

post scores tomorrow

Just got back a little while ago, been checking out the snow totals for the storm. Haven't seen prelim. I'll go with 440k for this week. Thanks to Nate for taking care of things while I was gone.

We're at extreme record low levels which argues for above average gain, Hudson's Bay should continue to freeze some with a cold shot, Baffin strait might start too as that cold moves east, the Bering Strait esp on the Russian side should do well with very cold air and north winds, and the northern and western Okhotsk should gain a little too with some extreme cold at the very north edge late in the week. The Barents is the area where it might not do so well early in the week with south winds and warm air. Baffin Bay might gain a little with a brief cold shot but overall continues to struggle with the extreme NAO blocking.

post scores tomorrow

Agree with most of what you say here. When you say Baffin Strait, do you mean the body of water between Quebec and Baffin Island? I think that's called Hudson Strait.

We're so far behind in Hudson Bay and Hudson Strait, I think we'll freeze a lot of the bay and some of the strait with temperatures just around average. There's a small pool of -20C 850mb temperatures in Hudson Bay associated with a weak PV there, so I wouldn't be surprised if the eastern side of the bay freezes this week with the exception of James Bay and perhaps the extreme SE part where the low pressure stalls out with milder air remaining in place. Baffin Bay basically looks like a lost cause this winter; with the NAO averaging over -2SD, there's just no way it can freeze as quickly or as far south as normal. It'll ice eventually but isn't going to be impressive in my opinion.

The airmass near the Bering Strait and heading towards the Sea of Okhotsk is very impressive. All of the Russian coastline SW of the Bering Strait is unfrozen, and we're going to see massive gains there with 850s of -25C and north winds. The -30C 850mb contour makes it to the shores of the Sea of Okhotsk with -40C over Siberia. Here is a snapshot of the airmass, using the 0z North Pacific GFS at 108 hours:

I think the Atlantic side will get hit some early in the week, but cold does return there as per guidance. We have some -20C 850s moving south of Svalbard, with SSTs below 0C, so we should see some freezing. Here is the ECM at Day 3:

BTW, do you know how much the Sea of Japan freezes in winter? I know there is ice there, but what is the general concentration and extent?

Agree with most of what you say here. When you say Baffin Strait, do you mean the body of water between Quebec and Baffin Island? I think that's called Hudson Strait.

We're so far behind in Hudson Bay and Hudson Strait, I think we'll freeze a lot of the bay and some of the strait with temperatures just around average. There's a small pool of -20C 850mb temperatures in Hudson Bay associated with a weak PV there, so I wouldn't be surprised if the eastern side of the bay freezes this week with the exception of James Bay and perhaps the extreme SE part where the low pressure stalls out with milder air remaining in place. Baffin Bay basically looks like a lost cause this winter; with the NAO averaging over -2SD, there's just no way it can freeze as quickly or as far south as normal. It'll ice eventually but isn't going to be impressive in my opinion.

The airmass near the Bering Strait and heading towards the Sea of Okhotsk is very impressive. All of the Russian coastline SW of the Bering Strait is unfrozen, and we're going to see massive gains there with 850s of -25C and north winds. The -30C 850mb contour makes it to the shores of the Sea of Okhotsk with -40C over Siberia. Here is a snapshot of the airmass, using the 0z North Pacific GFS at 108 hours:

I think the Atlantic side will get hit some early in the week, but cold does return there as per guidance. We have some -20C 850s moving south of Svalbard, with SSTs below 0C, so we should see some freezing. Here is the ECM at Day 3:

BTW, do you know how much the Sea of Japan freezes in winter? I know there is ice there, but what is the general concentration and extent?

Yeah - meant Hudson strait not Baffin Strait.

It looks to me like the extreme north end of the Sea of Japan freezes sometimes, but it is hard to tell because it is near the edge of the map where everything appears compressed.

Week 14 scores, Congrats MN Transplant:

Normal		241000
MN transplant	240000
Consensus	236000
winterwxluvr	227000
skierinvermont 	223000
Nzucker		188000
ElTacoman	177000
MallowTheCloud	175000
grcjrsc		149000
Roger Smith  	137000

Cumulative:

skierinvermont 	1604000
Normal		1476000
Consensus	1204000
MN transplant	1166000
ElTacoman	1150000
Nzucker		1118000
grcjrsc		825000
frivolousz21	733000
winterwxluvr	516000
Roger Smith  	476000
MallowTheCloud	180000
blazess556	71000
BethesdaBoy	64000
Organizing Low	49000
Ytterbium       -171000

Average Error (at least 3 weeks):

skierinvermont 	135429
Normal		144571
MN transplant	160308
ElTacoman	161538
Consensus	164000
Nzucker		170143
grcjrsc		186538
frivolousz21	188917
winterwxluvr	203091
Roger Smith  	216000
MallowTheCloud	237143

Jaxa still not reporting but here are the numbers for next week in case the numbers come back before Wednesday. If not we might have to skip next week.

1/4-1/11:

2003: 270,787

2004: 215,479

2005: 143,281

2006: 90,625

2007: -57,613

2008: 296,875

2009: 441,719

2010: 395,000

Average: 224,519

Looks like it's starting to slow down and also more variance compared to recent weeks.

Archived