• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Lets Talk Winter! Ohio valley and surrounding States

Steve

Right now I think the 322 corridor may get hit hardest...probably from Mayfield points east. I remember that explanation from way back on eastern, faintly. Will really just have to wait and see where the banding sets up, although right now signs are pointing to a classic W-E convergence band, slowly sagging south through the night into the AM.

Saw a rain shower a little bit ago, no snow here yet. Sun peaking back out.

I live right off 322 near Gates Mills, i'll keep everyone posted with what I see.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shortwave making some headway, looks to be moving into SE MI now, with yes, a more NW flow behind it...still will be a while for NE OH until that gets here...looks like some bands are trying to flair up over western Lake Erie...

Any band that sets up overnight will produce accumulations. BKL reporting light snow this hour. I think Geauga County should do well.

1320982684[/url]' post='1110886']

Just looked out the window and grass looks to be covered, but nothing on the roads. . Hard to telll how much, i'm in a high rise.

I was in a airplane over Lake Erie at 10:25 pm headed to the East Coast, I saw one lightning strike in the lake band east of downtown. Hard to tell if the lightning was offshore or in Lake County as it was embedded in the cumulus cloud. Just looked like one band at that time. AKR, CAK and YNG looked clear.

Been snowing lightly here the last half hour to 45 mins. A couple of moderate bursts. There is a very light dusting on cars, grass, and roofs.

Looks like the main band may be shifting into Cuyahoga, extreme northern Summit and northern Portage Counties, so those areas may pick up some accums through day break. A new radar image came in while I typed this and there is clearly another primary band developing here.

Radar VAD data from CLE shows the winds have stopped shifting more northerly over the past hour. The latest meso-analysis loop shows that the northerly wind shift may have slowed the past hour, and the lastest RUC essentially maintains the flow WNWrly like it is now for a few hours, then very slowly starts to back the flow more towards the west after about 6am. Water vapor imagery shows dry air air moving into western Michigan. This corrisponds well with significantly weaker echoes off of Lake Michigan. I'd expect the air to start drying here around 7-8am.

Essentially, areas that get under a band during the next half hour or so may cash in somewhat through the morning rush...1-3" of accumulation seems possible through day break where any bands set up...best guess is this will occur over northern Lorain county, Cuyahoga county, northern Summit County, northern Portage, and Geauga counties.

Saw CLE added lake and Geauga to the advisory which is a good move. Will be up in a few hours, time to sleep now.

Half an inch here in Reminderville. Still some on and off flurries. Am leaning against a drive to Chardon, I need to catch up on sleep and have work in 4 hours.

Edit: Although, radar is estimating over half an inch of liquid equivalent up near highway 6 in northern Geauga County.

Edit 2: After further review, I'm a complete weenie and am driving up to northern Geauga County.

Half an inch here in Reminderville. Still some on and off flurries. Am leaning against a drive to Chardon, I need to catch up on sleep and have work in 4 hours.

Edit: Although, radar is estimating over half an inch of liquid equivalent up near highway 6 in northern Geauga County.

Edit 2: After further review, I'm a complete weenie and am driving up to northern Geauga County.

After perusing the traffic cameras this morning. There appeared to be about 3" on the ground in Concord. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a dusting on the ground, it has since melted. Looks like CLE picked up 0.09" liquid equivalent, so it I'm curious if they will report 0.9" of snow (the traffic cameras on 71 near the airport still show snow on the ground). Otherwise, it seemed the band never really got its act quite together.

After perusing the traffic cameras this morning. There appeared to be about 3" on the ground in Concord. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a dusting on the ground, it has since melted. Looks like CLE picked up 0.09" liquid equivalent, so it I'm curious if they will report 0.9" of snow (the traffic cameras on 71 near the airport still show snow on the ground). Otherwise, it seemed the band never really got its act quite together.

The W-E band held on as long as it could along the eastern lake shore and the northern primary snow belt, as soon as the winds were too northerly it rapidly pushed south and weak multi-bands took over. The WNW-ESE band set up very briefly and then dissipated.

If I see even 4" it will be worth the drive. Can't find a camera so I'm hoping I can get pics off my windows phone onto the computer, if there's anything good.

It's early November so I'm not too heart broken, just happy to see flakes.

Picked up a solid inch last night. Mostly on the grass, rooftops, cars etc. Nice little appetizer for what is to come. Snow should be gone by the end of the day.

I'm really surprised that a more substantial band didn't form. I didn't even think to take a look at the shear so I'm curious as to what limited the band development. Looking at the radar loop it looks like the wind shifted pretty quickly... much more NW than I was expecting.

YNG had 0.14" of precip. last night, including 0.11" between 5 and 6 AM. The airport reported one inch of snow during that hour. Will be interesting to see what the final total is... probably about 1.4" (or 10/1) given the marginal temps right around freezing.

METAR KYNG 111051Z 25007KT 1SM -SN BKN006 OVC011 M01/M02 A2985 RMK AO2 SLP119 SNINCR 1/1 P0011 T10061017 $

I did see Ashtabula County Airport (KHZY), near Jefferson, reported 0.52" of precipitation last night. So there was probably at least five inches there (although temps were mostly AOA freezing so that might have kept accums down a bit).

Here is a summary of what I observed...

There was just a couple tenths on the ground in Solon when I jumped on 422E...the snow cover began to increase gradually as I headed towards route 44. There was probably about 1" on the ground when I got off at route 44. The snow continued to gradually increase as I drove up 44N, and after 6 miles of driving there was about 2" on the ground at Punderson State Park. As I continued driving north towards Chardon (about 8 miles north of Punderson) snow cover continued to gradually increase. I measured 3.5" in Chardon Square. There was a good amount of snow off to the side of the roads, so the roads were probably quite nasty when the snow was falling.

The most snow was just west of Chardon on US route 6. There was no where to really park and measure, but there was likely 4-5" just a couple miles west of Chardon. After that brief peak however, snow cover began to rapidly decrease with loss of elevation. By the time I hit the eastern boarder of Kirtland on route 6, there was about an inch of slush on the ground. By the time I hit the Chagrin River, there was only a very light coating (couple tenths) on roof tops, with nothing on the grassy surfaces. West of the Chagrin River, there was no spot where I saw more snow that just a couple tenths on the roof tops.

I jumped on I-90 just west of the 271 interchange with nothing on the ground. By the time I hit the Mayfield Heights boarder on 271, which is almost 3 miles north of 322, snow cover began to increase. The snow on the ground probably peaked just north of 322, where I'd estimate there was about an inch and a half. There was probably 1-1.5" on the ground at 322. South of 322 snowcover began to decrease again. There was about half an inch all the way down to Harvard (Highland Hills). South of there (and east on 422) there was a light dusting, although it looked like that might have been new snow from the band that was sitting over head as I drove through. There is almost no snow left here in Reminderville.

The band occurring as of this writing is fairly intense. In Kirtland I first hit it. North of the Cedar Road exit, it was falling as graupel. At times, the pelets were larger than peas and covering the roadways. This was interesting. South of Cedar, it was falling as moderately large dendrites and it was sticking to the ground and the interstate, a little bit. The snow was moderate to heavy from 322 points south (give or take a mile), with the visibility ranging from 1/2 to 1 mile from Mayfield road all the way until the southern portions of Solon. In some cases the visibility was less and the snow was blinding in a couple of instances.

So, elevation and proximity to the lake seemed to play a rather large roll. My guess is the bulk of the accumulation occurred from the W-E band that set up for a few hours late evening, with areas south of 322 not getting into that band for any significant length of time. Based on how much snow fell where that band resided for a few hours, it's likely 1" per hour rates were seen where the band fell as all snow in the higher elevations of northern Geagua county.

Here is a summary of what I observed...

There was just a couple tenths on the ground in Solon when I jumped on 422E...the snow cover began to increase gradually as I headed towards route 44. There was probably about 1" on the ground when I got off at route 44. The snow continued to gradually increase as I drove up 44N, and after 6 miles of driving there was about 2" on the ground at Punderson State Park. As I continued driving north towards Chardon (about 8 miles north of Punderson) snow cover continued to gradually increase. I measured 3.5" in Chardon Square. There was a good amount of snow off to the side of the roads, so the roads were probably quite nasty when the snow was falling.

The most snow was just west of Chardon on US route 6. There was no where to really park and measure, but there was likely 4-5" just a couple miles west of Chardon. After that brief peak however, snow cover began to rapidly decrease with loss of elevation. By the time I hit the eastern boarder of Kirtland on route 6, there was about an inch of slush on the ground. By the time I hit the Chagrin River, there was only a very light coating (couple tenths) on roof tops, with nothing on the grassy surfaces. West of the Chagrin River, there was no spot where I saw more snow that just a couple tenths on the roof tops.

I jumped on I-90 just west of the 271 interchange with nothing on the ground. By the time I hit the Mayfield Heights boarder on 271, which is almost 3 miles north of 322, snow cover began to increase. The snow on the ground probably peaked just north of 322, where I'd estimate there was about an inch and a half. There was probably 1-1.5" on the ground at 322. South of 322 snowcover began to decrease again. There was about half an inch all the way down to Harvard (Highland Hills). South of there (and east on 422) there was a light dusting, although it looked like that might have been new snow from the band that was sitting over head as I drove through. There is almost no snow left here in Reminderville.

The band occurring as of this writing is fairly intense. In Kirtland I first hit it. North of the Cedar Road exit, it was falling as graupel. At times, the pelets were larger than peas and covering the roadways. This was interesting. South of Cedar, it was falling as moderately large dendrites and it was sticking to the ground and the interstate, a little bit. The snow was moderate to heavy from 322 points south (give or take a mile), with the visibility ranging from 1/2 to 1 mile from Mayfield road all the way until the southern portions of Solon. In some cases the visibility was less and the snow was blinding in a couple of instances.

So, elevation and proximity to the lake seemed to play a rather large roll. My guess is the bulk of the accumulation occurred from the W-E band that set up for a few hours late evening, with areas south of 322 not getting into that band for any significant length of time. Based on how much snow fell where that band resided for a few hours, it's likely 1" per hour rates were seen where the band fell as all snow in the higher elevations of northern Geagua county.

Nice summary. Can you please do this for every LES event ?:thumbsup:

Huge dendrites have been ripping in Chagrin, and covering parts of the roads from what I can see. At home in Lyndhurst my wife reported thundersnow, and almost another inch since the 2nd band formed.

322 and 271 is an interesting location... it always snows hard around there. Not sure why but that location is magnet for heavy snow. It's about 1 mile NE of me and always receives more snow.

I'm about a mile east of 322 and 271. I'll have to agree, we did fairly well last year. Overnight id say we got close to 2 in maybe, but it did look llike less closer to 271. Hard to tell. Looks to be snowing good there right now. I'm in solon now and hardly anything on the grass.

The models are starting to agree on a solution for Thursday-Friday, and we are now only about 36 hours out from the first flakes of the second lake effect snow event of this winter…

The flow will become northwesterly Wednesday night, and 850mb temperatures will fall to -8 to -10C by 12z Thursday. However, the flow will not be well aligned with forecast skew-t’s showing some directional shear above 850mb, and the atmosphere will be very dry.

Thursday afternoon however, an upper level shortwave will swing through the southern Great Lakes. Mid level moisture will increase some and the flow will become fairly well aligned out of the west ahead of the feature. 850mb temperatures will remain in the -8 to -10C range as the trough approaches and inversions will climb to 10-12k ft per the 12z NAM. This should allow some lake effect/enhanced snow to break out Thursday afternoon. The flow will be generally westerly, so the initial snow should be confined to east of Cleveland, although some scattered/light snow showers may occur elsewhere across northern Ohio as there will be a small surge of mid level synoptic moisture along with decent lift as some good vorticity advects into the region along with decent mid level height falls.

By Thursday evening the shortwave will pass to the east and the flow will become more west-northwesterly. 850mb temps may bottom out between -10 and -12C at this time, for a few hours. There will be some moisture left behind after the shortwave, so some lake effect snows will continue going east of Cleveland into Thursday night.

Ridging will begin to build in late Thursday night. By 12z Friday inversions will likely fall to around 5k feet and the airmass will really begin to dry out, so all that will likely be left is some flurries/light snow showers east of Cleveland. The flow will begin to shift more towards the southwest and temperatures will begin to warm Friday morning, which should effectively end any lake effect over Ohio.

The 12z NAM and ECM are in decent agreement on this scenario. The GFS is more progressive with the trough. Leaned towards the consensus at this time.

As for how much snow may fall, there may be a half inch to an inch of snow east of Cleveland Thursday afternoon as the shortwave passes. There could even be light dustings in the higher elevations of southern Cuyahoga, northern Medina and northern Summit counties as there will be some synoptic moisture and lift with the upper trough. Given the cold 850mb temps/synoptic moisture/lift, it should snow/possibly accumulate down to the lake shore Thursday with the shortwave passage. Thursday evening there will be a brief window for perhaps some decent banding on a WNW flow over the eastern suburbs into the Snow Belt. After midnight lake effect conditions will begin to slowly deteriorate, and I just expect scattered snow showers after mid night out east. If we see a few hours of decent lake effect, I suppose 1-2” more may fall somewhere from eastern Cuyahoga county points east Thursday evening, with relatively light accumulations (half inch or less) after midnight Thursday night. My guess is that the potential max over northeast Ohio is 3” or so, and I do not believe any headlines will be needed.

Will go with this as my guess, for 7am Thursday through noon Friday:

post-525-0-19886700-1321397008.png

Let's have a bit of Ohio weather trivia since I am bored.

1. What are the top 10 coldest Januarys for Columbus?

2. What year did Toledo have it's biggest snowstorm?

3. How many inches of snow fell in Sydney on May 21, 1883?

4. How many times has Xenia been hit by a tornado?

5. What was the highest 1-minute wind speed average for Cleveland during the Great Lakes Hurricane of November, 1913?

6. At what location was the highest rainfall total recorded during the great flood of March, 1913?

7. How many people were killed during Ohio's worst 19th Century tornado outbreak?

8. How much snow fell the day of the 1950 "Blizzard Bowl" between Michigan and Ohio State?

9. What were the highest wind gusts recorded in Ohio during the 1978 Superbomb?

10. How many days had highs at or above 100 degrees at Hamilton during July, 1936?

Try to answer as many as you can without looking them up. I will give the answers later.

Well as those of you who know me knows, I only post in the winter. So for my first official post for the upcoming 2011/2012 winter season I will say this sucks lol. On a serious note, I am kinda surprised by the mild air so far this November. Have yet to view a model yet, but seems the feeling is in favor of a colder December.

Archived