• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
New radar app for Android

Just saw this on Stormtrack and figured I'd let all the Droid users here know about it:

http://www.pykl3radar.com/index.php

device.png

Looks and functions very similarly to RadarScope. Right now it doesn't support looping, lacks SRV, and doesn't have cities and towns on the GIS display. However, it just came out earlier this week, so I have high hopes that this will quickly evolve into the Droid equivalent of RS.

You can find it in the Android Market for $6.00. There's a free demo version, but it only displays data for the Grand Junction, CO, site, and I doubt there will be much activity to look at there anytime soon.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe "competitor" wasn't the best term, since neither app is available on the same platform as the other. (Though if you're a weather nerd shopping for a new smartphone, the quality of radar apps available for the different mobile OS's might factor heavily into your decision, so there's some competition from that standpoint).

Regardless, it looks like the closest thing to RadarScope that Android users can get, for now. And in all honesty, it appears the most significant functionality from RS is already present in this early version, so adding the remaining features (and perhaps more) shouldn't be too difficult for the developer.

AFAIK, it isn't being developed for iOS. I doubt he would bother when RadarScope already has that market cornered. If I had to guess, this is more of a response to the unwillingness of the RadarScope developers to port their product to other phones.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

For those of you with an Android Tablet device, the most currently released version of PYKL3 Radar is now available at appslib.com in case you wish to evaluate it on that platform. Work on many other features, including looping continues but seemingly slowly because of the limitations of the Android OS. Progress is still being made, but one would be overwhelmed by the amount of "work arounds" necessary to write an application like this. Still, it's a fun adventure and I'm enjoying writing it.

Joe

Hi all,

For those of you with an Android Tablet device, the most currently released version of PYKL3 Radar is now available at appslib.com in case you wish to evaluate it on that platform. Work on many other features, including looping continues but seemingly slowly because of the limitations of the Android OS. Progress is still being made, but one would be overwhelmed by the amount of "work arounds" necessary to write an application like this. Still, it's a fun adventure and I'm enjoying writing it.

Joe

Thanks for putting so much work into the app. for us! I'm really hoping you can get looping available by May (chase season), but if not it's still a fine app. anyway. I've been watching the developments (through StormTrack) and I thank you for working with the weather community at large to develop it.

Thanks for putting so much work into the app. for us! I'm really hoping you can get looping available by May (chase season), but if not it's still a fine app. anyway. I've been watching the developments (through StormTrack) and I thank you for working with the weather community at large to develop it.

Thanks for the kind words. It's what keeps me motivated!

Joe

I wish there was a faster way to get the stations up-- where they are organized by state. (Have a favorites ?? )

A favorites list is being considered for the next version along with a couple other ways of making the RDA selection. This app continues under very active development.

The RDAs are ordered by state.

WiFi is recommended for the initial 2MB download (GIS data/color palettes, etc) but it functions quite nicely thereafter while mobile as the file sizes are smaller.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

A favorites list is being considered for the next version along with a couple other ways of making the RDA selection. This app continues under very active development.

The RDAs are ordered by state.

WiFi is recommended for the initial 2MB download (GIS data/color palettes, etc) but it functions quite nicely thereafter while mobile as the file sizes are smaller.

Joe

I did use my Wifi to download.

I've used it a little here and there and its cool. Love the GPS integration-- just nice seeing your 20 compared to the radar. Used it on the road back from Charlotte NC during an ice/snow event 2 weeks ago. The zoom feature is great as well--

Favorites and Loop would be ideal...

A well spent 6.95 ( I think that's the price)

I did use my Wifi to download.

I've used it a little here and there and its cool. Love the GPS integration-- just nice seeing your 20 compared to the radar. Used it on the road back from Charlotte NC during an ice/snow event 2 weeks ago. The zoom feature is great as well--

Favorites and Loop would be ideal...

A well spent 6.95 ( I think that's the price)

NECN WX app by wsi is pretty decent for radar in landscape mode.

WFMY radar is essentially the same, I had been using that one until NECN released theirs.

Search "NECN" in market to find it

Other than the feature queue that's listed at pykl3radar.com/queue.php , What other things would people like to see in the future?

teaser.png

Joe

Installed, looked at dry basemap for FL radar, this is useless. Uninstalled..

My advice:

Pick a better name, pkyl3 is not memorable and market thinks I searched for "pick 3" and returns lottery apps. I suggest Radar, Weather, Level 3, etc in the title so you can show up in relevant market searches.

Landscape display

Looping is a critical feature, would not consider paying without ability to loop

Free version while you are in beta especially when you are asking for help on an unfinished app

More useful permanent free version. I don't want to look at Florida radar

Installed, looked at dry basemap for FL radar, this is useless. Uninstalled..

My advice:

Pick a better name, pkyl3 is not memorable and market thinks I searched for "pick 3" and returns lottery apps. I suggest Radar, Weather, Level 3, etc in the title so you can show up in relevant market searches.

Landscape display

Looping is a critical feature, would not consider paying without ability to loop

Free version while you are in beta especially when you are asking for help on an unfinished app

More useful permanent free version. I don't want to look at Florida radar

Thank you for your input. A number of the features you mention are in the works. I should clarify that I do not release beta software to the public. What I do release, are updated versions as the product evolves. No different than any other program that evolves over time. This way, the users have more input and it becomes more meaningful and useful to them over time. Even Microsoft started with DOS and computers started with vacuum tubes. Have to start somewhere.

The evaluation version (and, albeit quite short evaluation period that Google provides) is intended for you to ensure it meets your needs. If it does not, I respect that decision. I don't want anyone to have to spend their hard earned money on a program in which users do not see value.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

A little something new...

The current work in progress now showing the initial display of SpotterNetwork users.

As it stands now, larger green dots are within the past 15 minutes. Smaller yellow dots are >15 mins old.

Labeling remains an open item as label bitmaps take a lot of memory. Something that can hopefully be eased into as other important things are added....albeit labels probably won't make it into the next release. Certainly are a candidate for the future.

Joe

sn.png

do you have any idea when we can expect the next public version to be made available?

My guess would be within the next month, but that's just a rough approximation. Could be less if code polishing goes smoothly. It is important to me to deliver code which is as clean as possible. I can certainly tolerate minor cosmetic stuff for a while, but I loathe application crashing. There has been a big learning curve specific to Android. Still learning its intimate details even though I've programmed C++ for about 2 decades (non full time of course!)

Joe

My guess would be within the next month, but that's just a rough approximation. Could be less if code polishing goes smoothly. It is important to me to deliver code which is as clean as possible. I can certainly tolerate minor cosmetic stuff for a while, but I loathe application crashing. There has been a big learning curve specific to Android. Still learning its intimate details even though I've programmed C++ for about 2 decades (non full time of course!)

Joe

thanks for your work on this. it's a nice looking app and will certainly be the best available radar app for android phones once looping is available.

great to see you in on americanwx now - i check in with this app in the market place every few days waiting for looping/updates...now i've got an inside track. LOL.

once looping is available i will be purchasing.

Archived