• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
What do you do to reduce your emissions?

skierinvermont

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following do you or would you do in a conscious effort to reduce your CO2 emissions? Doing these things for other reasons like saving money doesn't count. And neither does feeling good about something you would have done anyways.

• Carpool whenever possible
    • Bike instead of drive
    • Take the train instead of the car
    • Don't go somewhere in order to reduce travel
    • Try to drive efficiently
    • Buy a more fuel efficient car than you would have otherwise
    • Keep the thermostat at 68 or below during the day in winter
    • Thermostat at 64 or below in day during winter
    • Turn thermostat down to 64 or below at night
    • Thermostat to 78+ in summer and only on hot days
    • Don't use AC at all
    • Chose to have a roommate
    • Install insulation
    • Keep all lights and electronics off and unplugged except in the room you are in
    • General effort to keep lights off
    • Buy a smaller and/or more efficient house than you would have
    • Became a vegetarian
    • Eat less meat
    • Eat more local
    • Eat only local
  2. 2. continued

• shut all E,S,W curtains on hot summer days
    • shut storm windows when heat is on
    • keep doors shut at all costs when heat or AC is on
    • installed solar or wind power
    • purchased CO2 offsets
    • invested in clean energy
    • voted for a politician because of their stance to reduce CO2
    • refrain from buying some things you don't need
    • refrain from buying all things you don't need
    • buy from CO2 conscious corporations
    • participated in a protest
    • Recycle
    • Compost
    • backyard food garden
    • installed CFLs before they were mandatory
    • buy more energy efficient appliances
    • Reuse whenever possible
    • Eat all food leftovers
    • short showers
    • low flow on showers
  3. 3. continued

• keep hot water temp low
    • don't run the faucet when not in use (for example while brushing teeth)
    • conserve water in the yard by not watering the lawn
    • reduce or eliminate lawn mowing requirements
    • use a push mower
    • keep properly inflated tires on your car
    • plan errands to reduce driving time
    • refrain from all synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides
    • buy products with less packaging
    • do not purchase any bottled water except in emergencies
    • take a direct flight instead of a cheaper indirect flight to reduce the # of takeoffs
    • use cold water in laundry
    • choose low CO2 hobbies and leisure
    • keep your old car instead of buying a new one
    • use a clothes line instead of a drier
    • work from home
    • always run a full dishwasher
    • advocate reduced emissions in local politics
    • encourage reduce CO2 policies at work
    • no extra fridges
  4. 4. continued

• choose to live in an apartment
    • choose to live in town or in a city not rural
    • heat with wood stove

Only check if this is something you do or think you would do in a conscious effort to reduce CO2. It doesn't have to be the sole reason you do it, but it has to be a real reason and not just something you feel good about doing afterwards that you would have done anyways. Basically anything you would give serious consideration to doing and often do when given the chance even if you don't do it 100% of the time.

Let me know if I should add anything. I wanted to include small specific stuff but I don't want to get too trivial either in discussing things which theoretically save 1 gram of CO2 every century.

I find that I will make some sacrifices and will go through some inconvenience but usually will not deny myself something I really want or spend significant money to reduce CO2.

It's an interesting poll

I honestly don't do any of the above to lower my carbon usage

I believe we crossed the 'tipping point' some time ago when W and Chaney got into power in the US and when Kyoto bit the dust

We should get the report about methane venting in the arctic by the end of this month and I'm not expecting anything good

The only question left is whether we end up in the Eemian or the Paleozoic

It is an interesting poll. I find that there are very few things I do solely to reduce my CO2 emissions, but CO2 reduction is a common factor in my decision-making. For example, I eat less meat than in my younger days, and I appreciate that shifting away from raising livestock will reduce emissions, but my choice was primarily a desire to eat a healthier diet. On the rare occasions I have a steak do I feel guilty about the CO2 that was generated in raising that steer? Not a bit.

In my opinion, reducing one's carbon footprint is largely a process of learning new habits. Recycling is a chore when you first start, but it becomes second nature after a while. The same is true about turning off lights as I leave a room. Learning to love smaller, more fuel efficient, cars can be quite an adjustment, but a satisfying one. In my case I went from a 6L V-12 Jaguar sedan (my mid-life crisis car) to a 1L Honda Insight hybrid. The only thing they had in common were they both had four tires and a red color. But going from a gas mileage of about 10 mpg to over 50 mpg eased the pain considerably. Now, after several years of driving a hybrid I doubt I'll ever buy a conventional ICE car again.

What I didn't anticipate when I started reducing my carbon footprint are the unintended consequences. My wife and I put in about 700 square feet of raised-bed gardens to start growing some of our own vegetables. Tending the gardens is good exercise (+), so we no longer pay gym memberships (+), but I never realized how good (++!) truly fresh produce is. But I digress.

Skier - the only suggestions I have for your survey is I saw a duplicate question on keeping the thermostat below 68, and you might ask the question would a person buy an electric vehicle for commuting.

It is an interesting poll. I find that there are very few things I do solely to reduce my CO2 emissions, but CO2 reduction is a common factor in my decision-making. For example, I eat less meat than in my younger days, and I appreciate that shifting away from raising livestock will reduce emissions, but my choice was primarily a desire to eat a healthier diet. On the rare occasions I have a steak do I feel guilty about the CO2 that was generated in raising that steer? Not a bit.

In my opinion, reducing one's carbon footprint is largely a process of learning new habits. Recycling is a chore when you first start, but it becomes second nature after a while. The same is true about turning off lights as I leave a room. Learning to love smaller, more fuel efficient, cars can be quite an adjustment, but a satisfying one. In my case I went from a 6L V-12 Jaguar sedan (my mid-life crisis car) to a 1L Honda Insight hybrid. The only thing they had in common were they both had four tires and a red color. But going from a gas mileage of about 10 mpg to over 50 mpg eased the pain considerably. Now, after several years of driving a hybrid I doubt I'll ever buy a conventional ICE car again.

What I didn't anticipate when I started reducing my carbon footprint are the unintended consequences. My wife and I put in about 700 square feet of raised-bed gardens to start growing some of our own vegetables. Tending the gardens is good exercise (+), so we no longer pay gym memberships (+), but I never realized how good (++!) truly fresh produce is. But I digress.

Skier - the only suggestions I have for your survey is I saw a duplicate question on keeping the thermostat below 68, and you might ask the question would a person buy an electric vehicle for commuting.

I agree with much of what you wrote. The lines between carbon footprint, conservation, and environmental stability are VERY blurred. If I by chance support the "carbon footprint" idea via my support of the other two ideals, then so be it, but I do nothing because of the carbon issue alone. I personally think less of a person that does not conserve for future generations by wasting resources. I'm sure some on here do that to me on the carbon issue. That's life I guess.

Cool, thanks for helping keep the meat prices down, since I've been totally carnivorous for the last 3.5 or so years!! Healthier than ever!! :thumbsup:

Did not fill out the poll, for the same reasons as noted above. We've done many of the items, but for conservation (of resources and of cash) rather than with CO2 in mind. Some things are also a preference; I don't absolutely need a pickup, but it's right handy when moving firewood, and a 2WD 5-speed 4-cyl Ranger/Mazda (had one of each 1994 on) does decently on gas. Our thermostat is set at 60-62, but that's misleading, as we spend about 90% of our non-sleeping in-the-home hours in the LR with the woodstove (main source of heat) in the corner. And we don't buy al that much red meat, but very much enjoy the local stuff when I'm fortunate enough to take a deer, all of which have fallen within 1/2 mile of my home since moving to my current location, so the successful hunt generally costs a cartridge then $0.35/lb for cut/wrap.

I avoid bakes beans and keg beer completely. I should get a tax credit.

Jokes aside- I do quite a bit but my motivation is simple economics. My lower carbon footprint is more a byproduct of just being frugal.

I'm a huge supporter of alternative energy and electric cars. I'm looking forward to my first plug-in car. I also appreciate my county's effort to switch all buses to cng. Still combustion but a lot better than diesel.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived