Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Rocky Mountain Discussion

tacoman25

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really?

Average is high 47, low 20 at this time of year.

Looks like a lot of 47s and 20's.

I was talking about the Rocky Mountain region overall, not just the Front Range. And the starting point was above normal, so we are cooling off. But it looks like there is a good chance it gets a lot colder here late next week as well.

Two degrees C below normal for a 5-day period. That's more tolerable than 17 degrees C below normal in Montana. I better see a freaking snowflake. The winter total is about 18.2" for Fort Collins. Compare this to 33.9", which is the normal to date. Maybe there's a chance for snow 7-10 days from now.

Two degrees C below normal for a 5-day period. That's more tolerable than 17 degrees C below normal in Montana. I better see a freaking snowflake. The winter total is about 18.2" for Fort Collins. Compare this to 33.9", which is the normal to date. Maybe there's a chance for snow 7-10 days from now.

Only 18.2", huh? I've had 30" total here in Westminster, with about half of that coming in the past 3 weeks. Still, normal for right now would probably be around 40"...seasonal average is about 65".

According to the NWS, there has been 18.1" at Denver. I believe they measure this at Stapleton, but it might be at DIA. This is a pretty non-snowy winter.

Wasn't that pretty much expected during La Nina? Of course my area was expected to see a snowy backend to winter but thus far only 1.5" this Feb.

According to the NWS, there has been 18.1" at Denver. I believe they measure this at Stapleton, but it might be at DIA. This is a pretty non-snowy winter.

I believe they measure at DIA now, which is considerably less snowy than most of the metro area. I guarantee most places west of I-25 or south of I-70 have seen way more than 18".

But yeah, the practically snowless Oct-Dec really put us behind the 8 ball. Jan/Feb have been much better, but it will take a very snowy Mar/April to get us to normal.

After a relatively uneventful past 3 weeks (seems like the second half of February is almost always boring here), it looks like we could be entering a considerably more active/variable period starting tonight. Chance of a little rain/snow for the Front Range tonight, and then a little better chance of snowfall tomorrow afternoon/evening. Then a rather quiet weekend, but precip chances return late Monday, and Tuesday looks like a significant storm is possible.

I'm heading out to the Rockies for all of spring break for AOS 401, where we're gonna run an experiment in steamboat springs. Translation: 9 days of skiing and weather weenieing out :snowman:

I've never been to the Rockies or the west besides Arizona, so this should be awesome. I can't wait to see mountain weather in action.

I'm heading out to the Rockies for all of spring break for AOS 401, where we're gonna run an experiment in steamboat springs. Translation: 9 days of skiing and weather weenieing out :snowman:

I've never been to the Rockies or the west besides Arizona, so this should be awesome. I can't wait to see mountain weather in action.

March/April is usually a pretty active time around here, hopefully it will be this year for you.

It looks like the GFS has gotten some consistency, and seems to be lining up with the ECMWF for a low pressure in eastern Colorado. The latest runs of the GFS give northern Colorado 0.8" to 1.2" of total precipitation. It looks like the Front Range cities and most of Wyoming could get hammered with heavy snow from this storm. I have been skeptical up until now, because almost all heavy snow seems to avoid me this winter :)

It looks like the GFS has gotten some consistency, and seems to be lining up with the ECMWF for a low pressure in eastern Colorado. The latest runs of the GFS give northern Colorado 0.8" to 1.2" of total precipitation. It looks like the Front Range cities and most of Wyoming could get hammered with heavy snow from this storm. I have been skeptical up until now, because almost all heavy snow seems to avoid me this winter :)

I'm assuming you mean Mon night/Tuesday? What say everyone? Perhaps an actual, real storm!? Shh. Don't tell anybody.

I thought it was me that the heavy snow avoided, and this winter is so dry 'cause I moved here. Proof: my old hometown has 90" so far this winter!:lightning:

-MWS

I'm so over these windy/dry days. Not only is it bad fire weather, but it's totally wrong for this time of year. March/April is usually one of the most interesting and active times of year, and this March has been absolutely pathetic. The .19" of precip DEN has so far is only .08" more than the driest March on record, with little sign of relief in the near future.

So, we moved here last August 9th. KDEN has almost exactly 2.5 inches of precip since then. My kids think we moved to the Sonoran Desert. Being brought up in New England, all of us are so bored. Wondering if this keeps up till April 8th... what might be the driest 8 month period on record for the Front Range??

It has been a horrible winter--still a chance for a spring storm perhaps--but you will like summer convective season. Daily thunderstorms popping off the mountains then dropping into the plains. Denver also has the Denver Convergence Zone--a pretty unique terrain effect which can pop off thunderstorms right near and over Denver in the right synoptic conditions.

Yes, this winter has been unbelievably low on snow. Last September was the driest month, rain-wise, I've ever lived through. Last September was the only time I've been near a forest fire. (I didn't exactly see any smoke or fire, but there was a fire west of Loveland)

Some day in late July or August, torrents of rain will hit your section of Denver. It will rain 2" in 3 hours as a storm stalls over the city. That typically happens in the "monsoon," when the Southwest monsoon finally donates some moisture to our section of Colorado. You will see lightning throughout the summer, and a fair amount of it.

I am forecasting the drought/warm temperatures to continue based on persistence, and more forest fires. Last summer we were not in drought/dryness according to the US Drought Monitor. Then it was D0 (dryness), then D1 drought, and now most of eastern Colorado is in D2 drought. It will continue for a while. You or I may see some very rainy days, but the D1 or D2 drought will go on.

Archived