• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rocky Mountain Discussion

tacoman25

Yes, this winter has been unbelievably low on snow. Last September was the driest month, rain-wise, I've ever lived through. Last September was the only time I've been near a forest fire. (I didn't exactly see any smoke or fire, but there was a fire west of Loveland)

Some day in late July or August, torrents of rain will hit your section of Denver. It will rain 2" in 3 hours as a storm stalls over the city. That typically happens in the "monsoon," when the Southwest monsoon finally donates some moisture to our section of Colorado. You will see lightning throughout the summer, and a fair amount of it.

I am forecasting the drought/warm temperatures to continue based on persistence, and more forest fires. Last summer we were not in drought/dryness according to the US Drought Monitor. Then it was D0 (dryness), then D1 drought, and now most of eastern Colorado is in D2 drought. It will continue for a while. You or I may see some very rainy days, but the D1 or D2 drought will go on.

Hopefully those euro monthlies from last month don't pan out, I heard they were dry for most of the plains and had a pretty epic heat dome building. Seemed like a 1988 summer heat pattern but then again I think the latest euro monthly wasn't nearly as warm or dry for the southern and central plains. This dry pattern will have to break soon or when we start building in those late spring and early summer ridges the heat will only be increased by the lack of soil moisture and make things worse. Hopefully we dig in a few big western troughs and get some nice squalls and heavy rains before summer.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little bit of relief this morning...about 1/2" of snow and a heavy mist falling now. Certainly not enough to turn everything green, but at least it's something.

Got another 1" this morning. DEN recorded 1" yesterday, bringing their March total to 1.4". This is the 5th least snowy March on record.

Here is our temperature plot. It was 80 degrees, then it snowed, then Monday, it was 50, then yesterday was 73.

April 2nd: Larimer County Emergency Services, Rist Canyon Fire and the U.S. Forest Services are fighting a fire in the area of Buckhorn Road (Larimer County Road 44H) and Crystal Mountain Road.

It's April 2 and a forest is on fire near me! The ground is supposed to be wet in April, right? Especially up in those snowy mountains.

Today it is raining and cold.

Archived