joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rocky Mountain Discussion

tacoman25

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18Z pumps out -22F next Tues... fasten those panties boys.

Here's the meteogram for Fort Collins-Loveland. Yikes! It says -27C or -16.7F for Monday at Midnight. Looks like we will have 4-10 inches. 14.4 mm = 0.567 inches. With a 20 to 1 snow ratio, this is 11.3 inches of snow.

This is a somewhat unusual upper level setup- a 500mb low is in Montana, and at the moment it is 5340 meters, is going to continue to sit in Montana, with about the same 500mb height. At the same time, an 850mb low will develop at the Colorado mountains, and the arctic air will be on the move to the Front Range and northern Plains. A large amount of warm advection will be happening in Nebraska. I find it rather odd that an different shortwave will be tracking through Texas, beginning to create a snowstorm/ ice storm in the South while the Rockies/Plains storm is happening.

Yes, the sunshine factor makes the winter about 80% more encouraging than the winters in the East.

Fort Collins hit a high of 29.7 yesterday, so that means the NWS forecast was not bad at all, from what I can remember.

Bring on the next storm system.... some day.... a long time in the future.

Yes, the sunshine factor makes the winter about 80% more encouraging than the winters in the East.

Fort Collins hit a high of 29.7 yesterday, so that means the NWS forecast was not bad at all, from what I can remember.

Bring on the next storm system.... some day.... a long time in the future.

Looks like several chances for snowfall coming up now, starting on Wed.

This little storm has really overperformed here in Boulder! We were predicted to get 1-3" like the rest of the metro area but so far we have 3-4" depending on where you are in town and it is still falling. My 15 minute bus ride home took an hour and 15 minutes, but I loved every bit of it. Got off the bus early and walked the last few blocks. It's great outside. All this in about 3 hours. How is everyone else here making out? :snowman:

Here we go---

I am seeing the models calling for a long period of upslope snow. I believe the NWS forecasts will underestimate the cold temperatures, and we will get in the single digits to 14 or 15 degrees. I think Fort Collins can get 6+ inches out of this system coming up, due to fluffy snow, high snow ratios, and favorable upslope.

Here's the 0z GFS from tonight, valid at 102 hours, which is Tuesday 06Z

Looking like the coldest weather in quite some time here tomorrow . A high below 0 is likely, which would be the first time that's happened in Denver in 14 years. Low temps on Tue night/Wed morning could also reach the -20s in parts of the metro area.

The coldest I've seen since I moved here was -17 in Dec 2008. Denver's all-time coldest temperature for February is -25.

Archived