Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October Forecast Contest, Temperatures

Mallow

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOS is a complete torch... maybe some cooling towards the end of the month. Potential for a 4-5 degree gradient between DCA and BOS. skier and litchfield are looking to cash in!

unfortunately I think the standard deviations will be large this month so I won't pick up many points on you even if I end up closer... of course it's still early so don't want to jinx myself but looking good so far. I regret not going with an even bigger gradient but I got cold feet.

unfortunately I think the standard deviations will be large this month so I won't pick up many points on you even if I end up closer... of course it's still early so don't want to jinx myself but looking good so far. I regret not going with an even bigger gradient but I got cold feet.

This. :arrowhead:

After 11 days ... contest anomalies:

DCA ... -1.7

NYC ... +1.6

BOS ... +6.3

for DCA, what station do you guys get your numbers from. Is it National DC or is it Dulles? cause your -1.7 doesn't match either of them. I got -2.0 for national and -1.9 for Dulles. Is it because they have a different base period than our contest? and for NYC we use Laguardia right? and I had 6.5 for BOS. Ooh ok I see that you adjust the totals, but even still the numbers don't add up right, I'm probably using the wrong climate sites for each city.

for DCA, what station do you guys get your numbers from. Is it National DC or is it Dulles? cause your -1.7 doesn't match either of them. I got -2.0 for national and -1.9 for Dulles. Is it because they have a different base period than our contest? and for NYC we use Laguardia right? and I had 6.5 for BOS. Ooh ok I see that you adjust the totals, but even still the numbers don't add up right, I'm probably using the wrong climate sites for each city.

DCA is Wash National. NYC is Central Park. The contest is still based off of 71-00 norms, though the NWS sites have switched to 81-10. I'm pretty sure Roger converts the baseline before he posts.

All of the above is correct. I convert and this month the factors are

DCA ... add 0.7

NYC ... add 0.3

BOS ... sub 0.1

to convert what you see (1981-2010) to what we use here (1971-2000). This will presumably not be necessary beyond December.

Each month has a somewhat different set of corrections but I listed them all somewhere near the end of the August thread. DCA seems to have warmed more than NYC which has generally warmed more than BOS which hasn't warmed much at all (in these past few months, we've only needed to do this since July).

If you got a different result than me after converting, it might be because you had 12 days rather than 11? I double-check these before posting. And just for clarity, when I say add 0.7 for DCA and the baseline is negative, I mean add not increase the negative.

Anyway, check this out as to method ... after 12 days

DCA ... -1.8 ... converts to -1.1 ... today +11 (+10) ... estimated for 13th (converted) -0.3

NYC ... +1.5 ... converts to +1.8 ... today +3 (+3) ... estimated for 13th (converted) +1.9

BOS ... +6.3 ... converts to +6.2 ... today +5 (+5) ... estimated for 13th (converted) +6.1

(sometimes a midnight low reduces these "today" values, not seeing that potential today.

That large signal early in the month is slowly fading out as DCA catches up.

Not as dreadful an outcome as I had thought earlier if NYC can stay at +1.6 or lower... which looks like it could very well be lower as we start to get an idea of how the month will shape up. DCA probably going to end up below normal while Boston stays well above thanks to abnormally high moisture and warmer lows.

Archived