• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
post your scariest weather moment here

ineedsnow

For instantaneous terror: Long time ago at summer camp near Budd Lake in NNJ, our cabin's tenting-out opportunity got aborted by an oncoming squall line. As we climbed past one utility pole, lightning struck the next one downhill. That one had all the transformers, etc for the main lodge, and the bolt was followed by 3-4 immense crash-bang-flashes as the electronics were destroyed. Absolute darkness followed immediately, interspersed with screaming kids sprinting toward their cabins.

Some what longer duration: Ground blizzard at the south end of Champlain, as I headed home from a ski week at Glen Ellen (now Sugarbush North.) There was a head-on wreck just off the NY end of the Crown Pt bridge, and a 3rd vehicle which had rear-ended the mess was just leaving via towtruck. Had I been more experienced, I'd have taken any chance to keep up with the blinking light, but within 100 yd it was lost in the 30-40 north winds carrying 4" fresh powder down the lake. For about 10 minutes (seemed like hours) I crept at 5 mph, hoping not to paunch in a drift; the only car I met became visible at 10 yards - headlights, the vehicle itself was seen at maybe 10 feet.

Somewhat longer, #2: While fishing on the nearby (to my NNJ home) 55-acre pond on a rainy summer day, I got surprised by an embedded TS which apparently formed right overhead. The first bolt struck the hilltop about 1/2 mile to my east, then lightning began hitting the hills all around while rain fell so heavily as to create 4-6" of splash/foam. I had been the only boat on the lake, and the 10-ft aluminum rowboat (motors were prohibited) almost made it up on plane as I boogied for shore. Probably took only 3-4 minutes, but during that time there were bolts hitting nearby at maybe 50/minute, and I was sitting in metal as the highest point on the water.

December 2006 ... it was so warm, and, and sunny.... I have a hard time talking about it

Sounds like December 2001 here....we hit 70° one day and had several days in the upper 60s. The day we hit 70° we had a low of 46° and again the next morning. It was like being in late summer/early fall but calendar said December. That whole winter was the worst because it was so mild. I'd hate to go through that again. We've had winters with little snow before I don't remember a winter being so mild.

I've had a few. Driving from Waltham to Brockton, from 3PM to 9PM during the Blizzard of 78. Driving parallel and alongside a huge tornado on Rt 90 in South Dakota back in 1980. Unexpected TStorm on Winnepesaukee. I was alone in a 14ft boat and a few miles from shore when it appeared out of nowhere. 6 trees dropping on my house during hurricane Bob, and a training set of TStorms that dropped a half dozen more trees on my car, boat, house in 1998.

I'm not a weather expert so these stories might be kind of wimpy.. but they are the best ones I can think of right now.

Two summers ago my exboyfriend and I were on a road trip and while we were in the Texas Panhandle, like a few miles away from the New Mexico border, we drove into a really nasty thunderstorm. We didn't know what we were driving into, because it was just gradually getting cloudy as we drove. I think at the time I was mostly scared that the road was going to flood, because the water started ponding on the road really fast, and because it's flat and there is absolutely nothing out there, we could see all this crazy cloud to ground lightning in every direction. Once we crossed the border into New Mexico, the sky was full of mammatus clouds. I had never seen them before and didn't know what they were at the time. I just thought they looked cool and took a lot of pictures. I think I would have been a lot more scared if I had known that they're usually around when there's a tornado, but there weren't any that we saw.

Also, winter storms never scare me, but there was one in January, I think the weekend before the huge blizzard, where we were only supposed to get a couple inches but wound up getting like 7. I had to drive to UConn that night to do a radio show, and a 45-50 minute drive turned into 2 hours. At one point the snow was coming down so hard that I couldn't see where I was driving, and everyone on the highway had their hazard lights on. Somehow I made it there on time and was able to do my show, but my friend and I stopped at 711 and stocked up on snacks and just camped out in the radio station until like 6am when it stopped snowing.

Archived