• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Reminder: Busy periods and main tracking threads

There may be more to come on this... but I feel like some of us keep typing the same thing over and over in the main thread only to see the idea of that gone within 30 min to an hour. And of course, we must acknowledge that 95%+ of the people here are no issue whatsoever. Rest assured, we are tracking those who are.

===

THINK BEFORE YOU POST

When these threads get active we all need to keep the side talk to an extreme minimum.

Read to see what others have posted. Don't feel the need to post the same thing again. It will be deleted if it has no new use.

Have a question that's only slightly related but specific? Ask it in a separate thread (feel free to create one), a regional subforum, or similar. Example: From 7 days out: "If this hits Charleston what could the storm surge be?"

We know where to get model data for the most part. The first person posting where a landfall is and how it gets there = fine. 20 panels for every 6 hr period, not so good. Example: Storm A is over open water and will be for another 800 miles without it nearing any land by another 500. No need for updates at 114, 120, etc. Let the model run, it will look the same at the end.

Tracking threads are not places to pad your post counts. Please try to only post things that are relevant to the current course of the system. It's arguable that the one solution which hits NYC is not that relevant -- take that to your subforums.

Regarding "your call"... Unless you're a met or an expert on the subject take those thoughts to your own thread or a thread devoted to such. Honestly, back many years ago even mets would do this. There is arguably no reason to fill the main thread with personal maps or a nonstop stream of thoughts run to run. As a storm gets closer (24-48 hrs from landfall), maybe. This might be a case by case basis and open to interpretation but if you don't fit in one of the categories mentioned at least consider not doing it.

On more general thoughts regarding the storm's future. If you feel like the storm will find it's untimely death due to XXXX or think that it will intensify rapidly because of XXXX, explain why. Don't just say "This thing is dead once it hits that tiny sandbar".

Minute details, especially without any explanation. Interesting to a point, not every 5 or 10 minutes unless there is something extraordinary going on. Example: Updated radar images of a weak storm every scan or set of scans. Unless you see major changes, assume we can generally find this stuff ourselves.

===

We are employing a new method of moderating in which people may be removed for continued disruption even if they don't break a specific rule. Repeated reports against the same individual are something that might count. Continuous offenses will find you on a list of individuals who can be set to 5 posts per day on the next known offense. If the offenses continued you may be banned in follow up.

Mods and admins are shooting first and asking questions later during active periods. We are of course open to input from you all and appreciate your help through reports and otherwise.

Please also note that srain is a "black ops" tropical mod with the ability to delete/edit/etc. Reporting something that's fishy is often the best option, but he is also there to help on a more limited basis.

It would also be nice to see what is considered non-useful posts. A post here with snippets (without member attibution) of offending postings would be a handy reference guide for everyone.

You can always screen your own posts... a tip for everyone would be to, before hitting Add Reply, ask themselves "does this actually make a useful contribution to the thread?" If the answer is no, than it's probably not worth posting.

I've been a black obs mod in the past so I'm pretty sure about what the best route is to not have your posts deleted from the wx side.

LOL. Go back to Off Topic. Even though you believe this entire site is your garden, I consider your banter only suitable for off topic. This is the weather side, and I act differently here, and so should you. This will be my last response to you here unless it is weather related. Feel free to flame me without response if that helps you.

Edit: After Irene is over, I'll return to off topic, where we can engage in banter again. Too busy right now.

As requested, here's some examples from the latest thread that were "unapproved" -- numerous others were probably just trashed on the spot.

===

Now that Irene has avoided Hispanola, shes going to be a beast. The storm is starting to look very symetric...the HWRF intensity may be realistic for sure...

That's sweet...Thanks for the link

I type fast....you must have beat me by 2 seconds!! ;)

http://www.ssd.noaa....l/flash-rb.html

Thank you, kind sir. Appreciate it. I always thing of this as a rather accurate analysis of what is going on... wonder if I am naive in this?

good thing the 146 kt and 135 kt SFMR was flagged... sheesh.

BAH. -facepalm- ... Heh... thanks.

Really worrying about the bahamas.. Turks first with likely 110mph+ hurricane.

PICTURE OF "MODERATION FAIL"

I think its more impressive howww slowwww this thing is moving. Were going to go into a lot of EWRs with this storm. Its going to be a roller coaster!

NHC having a new special advisory at 7:50 I think with a new cone.

NHC coming out with an 8:15 adv. Anyone else confirm this? Supposedly new information going to be presented.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived