Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
TS Harvey

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I believe it's strengthening at this hour. The IR presentation is improving noticeably with each 30-min interval. Look at that nice, round, centralized ball of convection. This is a sweet cyclone taking shape. If it continues to make modest latitude gains, this'll come ashore tomorrow as a solid Cat-1 cutiecane:

post-19-0-06686200-1313828349.jpg

Kind of a blah 4 am CDT package. The intensity is kept at 994 mb/50 kt, and there's been no increase to the intensity forecast. In fact, the new forecast doesn't even show a hurricane, because they believe it would reach hurricane intensity only briefly between the 12- and 24-hr forecast points. They just seem rather bearish, given the recent appearance-- but, hey, they know better than I.

Watching the loop is just beautiful. Goes from looking like complete crap to a perfect circle in just a few frames. I think this finally signifies the light has just been switched on for the season.

I agree-- it's the first real cyclone we've had in the NATL. Even the latest frame seems to suggest an eyewall of very cold cloud tops. (The center is right where it appears to be-- over that long island, Roatan.) I'm surprised the NHC was so unimpressed by tonight's progress. I suppose the next advisory might reflect some of these structural improvements:

post-19-0-77094600-1313832467.jpg

I agree-- it's the first real cyclone we've had in the NATL. Even the latest frame seems to suggest an eyewall of very cold cloud tops. (The center is right where it appears to be-- over that long island, Roatan.) I'm surprised the NHC was so unimpressed by tonight's progress. I suppose the next advisory might reflect some of these structural improvements:

Small system fast spin-up...they are being conservative in case the system craps out in the next 3-6 hours. I really don't blame them given how small Harvey's circulation is.

With that said, it's in a good spot to develop quickly so I'm not surprised with the intensification trend overnight. If it holds serve to 8 AM I wouldn't be surprised with a bump to 65/70 before the hurricane hunters get in there unless there's an ob or something that stands out and forces an upgrade.

Small system fast spin-up...they are being conservative in case the system craps out in the next 3-6 hours. I really don't blame them given how small Harvey's circulation is.

With that said, it's in a good spot to develop quickly so I'm not surprised with the intensification trend overnight. If it holds serve to 8 AM I wouldn't be surprised with a bump to 65/70 before the hurricane hunters get in there unless there's an ob or something that stands out and forces an upgrade.

65/70 mph, you mean?

Roatan recently reported a low pressure of 1005.1 mb, with a max wind of 24 kt gusting to 35 kt. The pressure is rising and the wind has shifted a tad, so I believe the center has already passed the point of closest approach.

Given that Roatan was located quite near the center, I'm not exactly impressed by these data.

recon is about to arrive in the core... so we should know more about the intensity rather shortly. That said, the Belize radar is showing to show hints of a formative eyewall, although it still seems to be mainly a spiral pattern. It has about 3-6 hours before landfall given the current motion, so well see if this latest convective burst will give it enough mojo to get to hurricane intensity.

33k6f5s.gif

Center fix wasn't particularly impressive, extrap was above 1000mb, 47kt at flight level

Yep a pretty unimpressive pass, but maybe the system is still reorganizing after it lost it's convection from last night. Either way it seems like hurricane intensity is looking a little less likely now.

Yeah, I guess they want to see what recon shows. Makes sense.

P.S. You should indicate units when discussing wind, as many if us use kt. (I haven't used mph in a loooooooong time. :D)

I haven't posted in the trop threads much of late...would explain why you asked mph or kt earlier. :whistle:

Yep a pretty unimpressive pass, but maybe the system is still reorganizing after it lost it's convection from last night. Either way it seems like hurricane intensity is looking a little less likely now.

It's had solid convection for many hours now-- perhaps 6-- so that's hardly a reasonable excuse at this point. :D

The latest recon data are kind of blah-- and I was surprised the pressure on Roatan didn't get lower than 1005 mb-- but keep in mind the core is very small, as per radar, and it could be they missed the highest winds on this pass. Let's see. Either way, I wouldn't write it off yet-- it continues to slowly gain latitude and has at least 6 hr more over water.

Just based on the radar trends, Harvey is having some difficulty establishing a full eyewall, the last couple of frames show the structure eroding a bit actually. The wind core that recon found though was very tight so there is reason to believe that if it wraps up again we could still see a significant increase in strength. Time is running out though.

btw dropsonde found the surface pressure at 999mb.

It's had solid convection for many hours now-- perhaps 6-- so that's hardly a reasonable excuse at this point. :D

The latest recon data are kind of blah-- and I was surprised the pressure on Roatan didn't get lower than 1005 mb-- but keep in mind the core is very small, as per radar, and it could be they missed the highest winds on this pass. Let's see. Either way, I wouldn't write it off yet-- it continues to slowly gain latitude and has at least 6 hr more over water.

My theory is that the intensity we saw last night was influenced pretty strongly by the convective burst that wrapped around the center, which caused the sharp drop in pressure (similar to what happened with Don briefly 24 hours before landfall). Given that the pressure was really high over Roatan, its reasonable to expect that the pressure came up pretty quickly after the recon passes last night when the convection weakened, and we are only seeing the system start to recover now in the hours leading up to landfall.

Archived