Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Remnants of Emily Part II: 295 Miles SSE Of Cape Hatteras, NC

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just dont see how its gonna hit Haiti...I think its more in line to hit Cuba or, it could got between Cuba and Haiti.

The only way it could miss both is to stay south of Cuba altogether. It wouldn't go between them from where it is now. It still has plenty of time to hit Haiti.

I just dont see how its gonna hit Haiti...I think its more in line to hit Cuba or, it could got between Cuba and Haiti.

I've been leaning more towards western parts of eastern Cuba.

Maybe, but when I said "NE of the center", I meant the strongest growth of convection just NE of the center. Not the stuff over and southeast of Hispaniola. Seems a bit too far away from the island to be frictional convergence due to land... maybe just enough lift from an outflow boundary from the collapsing thunderstorms just to the west?

Oops.... I thought you were talking about the band that was further away.... the one that is closer is probably being helped by the dying blob to the south of it.

The only way it could miss both is to stay south of Cuba altogether. It wouldn't go between them from where it is now. It still has plenty of time to hit Haiti.

From the last advisory point it would need a 285 motion...from where the estimated center is from recon, that increases to about 290...and I don't think Emily has come even close to that in the last 12hrs

While I agree it is a tough forecast, I feel pretty confident in saying that it won't be a 110 kt hurricane off S FL like the GFDL is showing.

We should have a new rule... unless it is already a hurricane that is clearly developing, we can probably ignore GFDL/HWRF intensity solutions... the exception being of course if neither develop a system at all.

While I agree it is a tough forecast, I feel pretty confident in saying that it won't be a 110 kt hurricane off S FL like the GFDL is showing.

Haha yeah, the GFDL and the HWRF often do that a lot, where they will intensify a Tropical Cyclone too much. I think they even intensified Don to a hurricane in one of their model runs, when it was about six hours away from making landfall in Texas. :lol:

Haha, fair enough.

As for Emily, unless the latest satellite image from 18:15 is faulty, it looks like the "new" burst of convection near the center is already falling apart. How are you going to keep convection alive when the top half is being sheared in two different directions?

Stuff is still firing northeast of the center, though.

Convection near the center completely collapsed, part of the convection debris is moving south and part is moving north.

Convection near the center completely collapsed, part of the convection debris is moving south and part is moving north.

Yup. That was a quick pulse. You can almost see a cold pocket that reached the surface right at the center of the swirl... the last thing Emily needs.

Been pretty easy to lean to one side of the guidance envelope and NHC tho. Agreed on difficult forecast, but think its been easy to lean one direction track wise.

One thing to notice, though, is that even though the spread at this point is pretty substantial, the forecast once it gets east of Florida tightens up again. Seems like almost regardless of the current track, the mid-latitude troughing over the east coast should be enough to keep this thing east of Florida (as long as it remains a bona fide tropical entity).

Dropsonde shows SSE winds near the surface, NNE winds at 925 mb (2,339 ft), and SSW winds at 850 mb (4,767 ft). Im guessing thats no good regarding intensification.

The dropsode was launched in the center of circulation where the winds are light and variable and often change in direction.

One thing to notice, though, is that even though the spread at this point is pretty substantial, the forecast once it gets east of Florida tightens up again. Seems like almost regardless of the current track, the mid-latitude troughing over the east coast should be enough to keep this thing east of Florida (as long as it remains a bona fide tropical entity).

I am not so sure I agree with this. I have been thinking S tip of FL...by Friday 592 H5 contour on Euro reconnects from west atlantic to TX/Southern tier ridge as the western atlantic trof lifts out. IF, IF, Emily is still alive, given the left of track bias initially, I can see this going into FL or even west of FL. No clue intensity, likely weak, and no clue what it would do once near the Keys or into extreme eastern Gulf...IF still alive

I am not so sure I agree with this. I have been thinking S tip of FL...by Friday 592 H5 contour on Euro reconnects from west atlantic to TX/Southern tier ridge as the western atlantic trof lifts out. IF, IF, Emily is still alive, given the left of track bias initially, I can see this going into FL or even west of FL. No clue intensity, likely weak, and no clue what it would do once near the Keys or into extreme eastern Gulf...IF still alive

Could be. There are so many factors at play here that it's a tough track forecast, IMO.

It is interesting to me, though, that the closest tracks on your map that we seem to have followed so far are the 06z and 12z tracks from 8/2.

Could be. There are so many factors at play here that it's a tough track forecast, IMO.

No doubt. The cone should be way bigger, IMO, than it is now. If you asked me to draw a path right now, I would draw my center path line on the western edge of their cone, with my cone of uncertainty all the way to Pensacola

post-84-0-94681600-1312398917.gif

Archived