Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold and flurryery yeah I made that up.....seems to be the pattern coming up...looks like the Sun-Mon clipper will dive to our south and west....still keepin an eye on the pattern around the 12th the Euro has had a few interesting runs. We'll see....I know alot of you guys are ready for it...but I used to love snow....but the older you get and working during it....I hate to say it, I like it less.

Yeah, I never understood the whole love affair with snow. Its great for Christmas, but after that its a nuisance. It wears on your car and your body, you can only have limited activity outside, it causes grief driving in it, and it destroys the roads and causes damage.
I think I still love snow for the same reason I love thunderstorms. I just love seeing what nature can do and get fascinated when these events take place. Yeah, you're right, snow does everything you say. And I have a rear wheel drive pickup truck so I know all about having driving issues in the winter time. My truck got stuck on the side of a road during February's blizzard and I couldn't get to it for 3 days. And yet, I still enjoyed what took place anyway. You don't get a 20" snowstorm too often and you never really know if you're going to see another one again. That's just how I feel anyway. To each his own, right?

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

There is nobody that had worse of a nightmare then me last year. I almost lost my house when our roof collapsed and the gutter smashed into our boys room. Thanks god neither bed was by the window or they would have suffered serious injury or death. The real nightmare was after the problems my kids (ages 4 and 7) were having sleeping and still have today. Now since its snowing again, they are a basket case. To say the least I hate snow. I hate everything about it, and I could relocate my family south I would in a minute.

I don't think there is a comparison between having a car stuck or losing a home and the terror your family suffers. I agree about the whole nature thing, but I am 100% sure if a snow lover suffered what I did last year and watched the family and the terror their kids went through they would change their mind about snow.

There is nobody that had worse of a nightmare then me last year. I almost lost my house when our roof collapsed and the gutter smashed into our boys room. Thanks god neither bed was by the window or they would have suffered serious injury or death. The real nightmare was after the problems my kids (ages 4 and 7) were having sleeping and still have today. Now since its snowing again, they are a basket case. To say the least I hate snow. I hate everything about it, and I could relocate my family south I would in a minute.

I don't think there is a comparison between having a car stuck or losing a home and the terror your family suffers. I agree about the whole nature thing, but I am 100% sure if a snow lover suffered what I did last year and watched the family and the terror their kids went through they would change their mind about snow.

I can understand how you feel....

I was up in NYC when they had their macroburst/tornado, and everyone that missed it said they wished that the 125MPH wind had hit their house...didn't understand that at all...that is far to destructive for me to wish for.

There is nobody that had worse of a nightmare then me last year....

....but I am 100% sure if a snow lover suffered what I did last year and watched the family and the terror their kids went through they would change their mind about snow.

Then, at the other end of the spectrum, is me, just worn down by years and years and years of never being able to just say, "The hell with it. I ain't going out in it today."

I have to say, reading the above handful of posts, I'm feeling a little less outnumbered than I did in years past. I could always understand folks getting excited by the prospect of a big event, I still feel that way about summertime severe weather, but I never did understand the people who, when there's a stinkin inch forecast for tomorrow morning's rush hour, will enthuisiastically post, "I'll take it!"

Cold and flurryery yeah I made that up.....seems to be the pattern coming up...looks like the Sun-Mon clipper will dive to our south and west....still keepin an eye on the pattern around the 12th the Euro has had a few interesting runs. We'll see....I know alot of you guys are ready for it...but I used to love snow....but the older you get and working during it....I hate to say it, I like it less.

My love affair with major storms will never end.

I still "like" the garden variety snow showers and clippers and such - but yeah it's a little less than I used to.

I still "like" the garden variety snow showers and clippers and such - but yeah it's a little less than I used to.

Most times it is the excitement of tracking the storm and will it hit us or not. We enjoy waiting to see if the watches and warnings will be going up.

Then after the big storm comes we are all inconvenienced and tired and want to rest and get ready for spring.

Looks like most will see snow showers over the next few days, but North and Eastern Ridges are setting up for the accumulating snows. Looks like a inch or less for the lowlands each day, but Ridges and LES Counties could see a few inches each day. Enough to make things dicey locally.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

216 PM EST SAT DEC 4 2010

MDZ001-PAZ074-076-WVZ023-041-050400-

/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.A.0009.101205T1700Z-101208T0000Z/

GARRETT-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-FAYETTE RIDGES-PRESTON-TUCKER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OAKLAND MD...GRANTSVILLE...LIGONIER...

DONEGAL...NEW FLORENCE...ACME...CHAMPION...NORMALVILLE...

FARMINGTON...OHIOPYLE...MARKLEYSBURG...KINGWOOD...TERRA ALTA...

PARSONS...DAVIS...THOMAS

216 PM EST SAT DEC 4 2010

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

TUESDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

TUESDAY EVENING.

* ACCUMULATION: ACCUMULATIONS IN EXCESS OF 8 INCHES IN 24 HOURS

WILL BE POSSIBLE.

* TIMING: AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF UPSLOPE SNOW SHOWERS WILL BEGIN BY

SUNDAY AFTERNOON...CONTINUING THROUGH EARLY IN THE WEEK.

* WINDS: WEST TO NORTHWEST WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH...WITH GUSTS TO

40 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE.

* VISIBILITIES: RAPID REDUCTIONS IN VISIBILITY WILL BE POSSIBLE IN

PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW AND OR BLOWING SNOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS. REPORT YOUR SNOWFALL

ACCUMULATIONS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL

FREE...1-877-633-6772.

I'm the same as you. I will always find storms fascinating to track and experience. LES doesn't really excite me all that much since we rarely get significant accumulations from LES in this area. It's usually just a half inch or less here or there. Looks like we'll be seeing some LES the next couple of days. Looking at the radar, I see some streaming down off of Erie as I type this.

It's times like these when I would like to live in Edinboro. :snowman:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH1014 PM EST SAT DEC 4 2010...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CONTINUE SUNDAY THROUGH TUESDAY....PERSISTENT LOW PRESSURE ACROSS NEW ENGLAND AND SOUTHEASTERNCANADA WILL CAUSE COLD AIR TO FLOW ACROSS LAKE HURON AND LAKEERIE. AS MORE MOISTURE GETS WRAPPED INTO THE SYSTEM...LAKE EFFECTSNOW SHOWERS WILL DEVELOP AND SPREAD INLAND ACROSS NORTHEAST OHIOAND NORTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA. THE SNOW WILL LIKELY BECOME HEAVIERSUNDAY INTO SUNDAY NIGHT. THIS PATTERN WILL PERSIST THROUGHTUESDAY.OHZ014-089-PAZ001>003-051115-/O.UPG.KCLE.LE.A.0003.101205T1200Z-101208T0000Z//O.NEW.KCLE.LE.W.0002.101205T1200Z-101208T0000Z/ASHTABULA INLAND-ASHTABULA LAKESHORE-NORTHERN ERIE-SOUTHERN ERIE-CRAWFORD PA-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JEFFERSON...ASHTABULA...ERIE...EDINBORO...MEADVILLE1014 PM EST SAT DEC 4 2010...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM SUNDAY TO 7 PMEST TUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CLEVELAND HAS ISSUED A LAKEEFFECT SNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM SUNDAY TO 7 PMEST TUESDAY. THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE OVERNIGHT ACROSS THE REGION. THE SNOWSHOWERS WILL BECOME HEAVIER SUNDAY AND CONTINUE THROUGH TUESDAY.BY TUESDAY EVENING...BETWEEN 1 AND 2 FEET OF SNOW IS POSSIBLEWHERE HEAVIER SNOW BANDS SET UP ACROSS THE AREA.WINDS WILL ALSO BE ON THE INCREASE DURING THE DAY SUNDAY TO 15 TO25 MPH WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS TO 35 MPH. THE COMBINATION OFMODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW AND THE GUSTY WINDS WILL MAKE TRAVELDIFFICULT AS VISIBILITIES BECOME REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES.IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON TRAVELING THROUGH NORTHEAST OHIO INTOPENNSYLVANIA...BE SURE TO ALLOW EXTRA TIME OR ALTER YOUR TRAVELARRANGEMENTS.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...IN LAKE EFFECT SNOW THE WEATHER CAN VARY FROM LOCALLY HEAVY SNOWIN NARROW BANDS TO CLEAR SKIES JUST A FEW MILES AWAY. IF YOU WILLBE TRAVELING ACROSS THE REGION BE PREPARED FOR RAPID CHANGES INROAD AND VISIBILITY CONDITIONS. STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIOAND OTHER RADIO AND TV STATIONS FOR FURTHER DETAILS OR UPDATES.&&$$

wwa all the way down to butler.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA314 AM EST SUN DEC 5 2010PAZ013>016-022-023-051615-/O.NEW.KPBZ.WW.Y.0019.101205T1700Z-101208T0000Z/LAWRENCE-BUTLER-CLARION-JEFFERSON PA-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW CASTLE...ELLWOOD CITY...BUTLER...ZELIENOPLE...CLARION...PUNXSUTAWNEY...BROOKVILLE...REYNOLDSVILLE...BROCKWAY...KITTANNING...FORD CITY...LEECHBURG...FREEPORT...APOLLO...INDIANA314 AM EST SUN DEC 5 2010...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 7 PM ESTTUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECTFROM NOON TODAY TO 7 PM EST TUESDAY.* ACCUMULATION: SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 6 INCHES IN 24 HOURS IS POSSIBLE.* TIMING: AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS WILL BEGIN THIS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE THROUGH TUESDAY.* IMPACTS: UNTREATED ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY WHERE SNOW SHOWERS PERSIST.* WINDS: NORTHWEST WINDS OF 15 TO 25 MPH...WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE.* VISIBILITIES: RAPID REDUCTIONS IN VISIBILITY WILL BE POSSIBLE IN PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW AND OR BLOWING SNOW.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOWWILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOWCOVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILEDRIVING. REPORT YOUR SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS TO THE NATIONALWEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE...1-877-633-6772.&&

While I agree that LES is usually a bust for the city and nearby areas, it looks like for at least some time we will get a Huron connection which usually helps those stronger bands set up. So while not a widespread heavy event, somebody may get lucky and pick up several more inches that currently foretasted.

This early in the season, is the ground still too warm? I had my street and car covered this morning, and went out like an hour later and everything was clear.

Didn't we have snow this time last year and it didn't stick?

nah, i think it takes some time to stick, like tonight the lake effect machine will start pumping harder and bring some heavy snow down south, i think 2-4 inch snowfall could be possible tonight across the northern pittsburgh suburbs, possible school delays

I suppose you could use Channel 11's radar as a back-up to the NWS radar. http://www.wpxi.com/...722/detail.html

I think JamieO has said this in the past -- but I miss days like today with the lake-effect snow showers that give minor accumulations to PIT. Here in ALB, all we can muster are some flurries from Lake Ontario.

Traffic cameras show that the mountains near Ebensburg and Cresson are doing well. :snowman:

I suppose you could use Channel 11's radar as a back-up to the NWS radar. http://www.wpxi.com/...722/detail.html

I think JamieO has said this in the past -- but I miss days like today with the lake-effect snow showers that give minor accumulations to PIT. Here in ALB, all we can muster are some flurries from Lake Ontario.

Traffic cameras show that the mountains near Ebensburg and Cresson are doing well. :snowman:

Ebensburg and Cresson are in the lake effect areas.. Pittsburgh really doesn't do well in these events.

nah, i think it takes some time to stick, like tonight the lake effect machine will start pumping harder and bring some heavy snow down south, i think 2-4 inch snowfall could be possible tonight across the northern pittsburgh suburbs, possible school delays

They have me at 2-4 for today and have seen basically nothing.. There is nothing on radar that shows its going to change. In fact alot of the bands coming from Venango and Mercer counties are losing punch as they head southeast.

The discussion also stated a Lake Huron effect by late afternoon, and it looks like right now, not happening.

NWS SC mentioned streamers that would run from Lake Erie over to Lancaster.

Archived